What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 8.6.2024. #6142.

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Day or So ….dr

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.37.08 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 2.48.41 PM.png

Update on TFR Bust …morganjp

For the hundreds I spoke with at Oshkosh I am now cleared by the secret Service with a much larger file, I am also cleared by the Milwaukee FSDO who was so intrigued with my story that I will be doing some safety speaking enga.gements titled TFRs for dummies. It probably will get recorded and placed as a UTUBE video. For the thousands I did not speak with I hope that you watch the video.

Cherrymax Removal …rsultzbach method
I drilled out quite a few Cherrymax rivets and I used a small piece of aluminum sheet maybe just slightly larger than a rivet checking tool. I drilled a hole in the sheet that just fit over the rivet head perimeter. I taped this shield to the web of the wing spar. With this shield in place I used a conical grinding stone with my Dremel tool with the point used to grind out the locking collar of the rivet. Then, I used a small previously broken punch ground to a blunt point to drive the center mandrel out of the Cherrymax. When the mandrel moved it was easy to drive it out with a regular 3/32 punch. Then just drill out the rivet using the hole where the mandrel was which guides your drill bit like a pilot hole.
This shield technique protected the web whenever a punch or drill slipped giving me a chance to react and stop before nicking a part unintentionally. YMMV

Panel Prep …Biggiesauls
Six months after Phase 1 I decided to add IFR capabilities and start training To my existing dual Dynon HDX panel. Added Garmin GPS-175 and G5 all tied into the Dynon and autopilot. Works sweet.
Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.38.58 AM.png

Slider Handle …Scott Hertha’s
Mine is very similar to Dave’s above. Mounted to the center tube on the canopy frame with two 10-32 flush screws and nuts. Easily lifts the canopy to open.
Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.39.17 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.41.15 AM.png

WDYDWYRTW? (8/3-4/2024)
Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 3.23.31 PM.png

Bend Radius and Fusion's Sheet Metal module

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4861.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back