What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR to IFR pannel

I have the standard single G3X VFR pannel. What would be the minimum equipment needed for IFR training?
Practically and realistically, you’ll need a certified GPS navigator. A 430W would be an excellent value choice, giving you a nav radio as well.

I added a GPS175 and do not regret it. No ILS but more runways have RNAV approaches than ILS anyway.
I also added a Garmin GPS175 when I went from VFR to IFR. I really like it. If you don't already have one, you should should consider adding an autopilot. The GPS175 will feed "roll steering" commands to your autopilot and make your life much easier when doing course reversals or holds or when you have some obtuse angles to fly for whatever reason.
Also make sure your operating limitations are written properly. My original operating limitations did not include the verbiage about IFR flight with proper equipment. It wasn't too difficult to change it but required a new airworthiness certificate also.
Keith

With your G3X you can start basic attitude flying instruction today. For your check flight, you will need to demonstrate navigation and approach skills. The lowest cost route is to install a conventional nav com with vor and ILS capability. You need to be able to find vor and ils approaches that are nearby, and that don’t require additional equipment, like DME. These are getting harder and harder to find. In the real world, these days, you’ll want an approach certified (‘TSO’d’) gps. As mentioned, a used Garmin 400-420-430W may be the cheapest route. These boxes are starting to get old. Now, again, the real world: as a cfii I would refuse to fly in actual IMC without back up flight instruments. Garmin G5, GRT mini efis, Dynon D6, for example. And each with a 2 hour Li backup battery.
Only you can decide if you want an autopilot, heated pitot, adsb-out. I presume you have a transponder.

If you don't already have one, you should should consider adding an autopilot.
Good idea if the budget permits. You’ll definitely want one eventually, and it makes good sense to make it part of your training. One of the real advantages of EABs is that we can get (relatively) cheap and highly capable autopilots.

Six months after Phase 1 I decided to add IFR capabilities and start training To my existing dual Dynon HDX panel. Added Garmin GPS-175 and G5 all tied into the Dynon and autopilot. Works sweet.
IMG_2248.jpeg

A lot of people toss out advice like "I put this in my RV-8" or "This worked great in my RV-10". If you don't own an RV-12 go take a look at how much panel space is available for radios. If it is an original RV-12 the answer is "not much". Here is my original panel with a Garmin (Apollo) SL40 in the middle...

rv12_panel_2.jpg
That switch and fuse panel eat up valuable panel space. I suppose I could get by without the external autopilot and knobs panels (and the "Fasten Seatbelts" and "No Smoking" switch plate) but I don't want to. They are just too darn handy and I have gotten used to them. And they cut down the work load when things are busy (I'm thinking ahead to single pilot IFR). I thought I could get rid of the SL40, move a few things around, and install a Garmin GNC 355 combo GPS nav and comm. That was a great plan until I found the 355 is about 1/2" too long to fit. Grrrrr.
So now the plan is to get rid of the SL40 radio and replace it with a Dynon remote mounted radio. Then replace the fuses with a VP-X electronic circuit breaker. After that there should be enough panel space to install a shorter Garmin GPS 175. Here is where I am at now...
rv12_panel_dynon_radio.jpg
BTW, I love the Dynon radio. Here is a drawing showing the location of the Garmin GNC 355 as well as the new switch panel in the redesigned panel. It looks a little goofy in the drawing but I think I can make it look right.
RV-12 Dash 4 v37.png
Below shows where the VP-X and current sensing shunt will be installed behind the panel. There will also needs to be a shelf on top of the VP-X (not shown) to hold the SkyView to ARINC-429 converter and a few other things.
rv12_panel_vpx.jpg
So the bottom line is that the RV-12 has some unique challenges to add more avionics. I haven't even mentioned power budget. There is more to adding avionics on this platform that just cutting a bigger hole in the dash. :) Keep that mind when you offer your solution!

Back