What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Busted RNC TFR

Not much excuse for blowing through TFR these days given the resources we have, but kind of feel bad this is going to ruin his week at OSH

In John’s defense, he’s an Oshkosh volunteer. He’s no dummy and admitted he made a mistake. He came in two or three days before the Oshkosh notice went into effect but was still following the arrival route (see the green dashed line). This sent him 5 miles into the 30 mile TFR (see red circle which is not marked on the Oshkosk notice).
What was marked on the notice was the class D airspace rings (marked in blue) which could easily be mistaken for the TFR rings.
He also said the default on his iPad app was to not show the TFRs, and it had to be manually turned on, which he did not do, but obviously should have.
I’m sure many people under the same circumstances could have done the same.

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 83
Looking at the drawing it seems inevitable that someone would have made this error. I’m surprised the Feds didn’t see this coming and publish a modified Fisk or create a carve-out for the conga line.
Opportunities for learning all around.
Hope John is Ok and will be back in the air soon.

BTW when will we be free of the TFR nonsense? TFRs and the TSA need to done away with permanently.
Don’t hold your breath……..

BTW when will we be free of the TFR nonsense? TFRs and the TSA need to done away with permanently.
As Sam said, dream on! The risk today is very different from when TFRs were first implemented, due to the rise of the drones, but we have a long history of preparing to fight the last war. While I agree that TFRs are mostly security theater, we need to accept their reality and avoid busting them, or they will get bigger and bigger and the penalties will get more and more severe.

Check the NOTAMS

Boomer Out
For the hundreds I spoke with at Oshkosh I am now cleared by the secret Service with a much larger file, I am also cleared by the Milwaukee FSDO who was so intrigued with my story that I will be doing some safety speaking enga.gements titled TFRs for dummies. It probably will get recorded and placed as a UTUBE video. For the thousands I did not speak with I hope that you watch the video.

For the hundreds I spoke with at Oshkosh I am now cleared by the secret Service with a much larger file, I am also cleared by the Milwaukee FSDO who was so intrigued with my story that I will be doing some safety speaking enga.gements titled TFRs for dummies. It probably will get recorded and placed as a UTUBE video. For the thousands I did not speak with I hope that you watch the video.
John, very glad to see there aren't more serious consequences that would haunt you for awhile! I'm sure your recounting of the experience will be invaluable for more pilots than you can imagine. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Good on you for stepping up and helping others learn from your experience. It could have happened to almost any of us!

Dave

ps - I'm pretty sure you could have out-turned the F-35, no problem 😀

Back