What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-14 panel

Panel for Norris Brown's RV-14A - N14NP

FP19092016A0001F.jpg

I am using all Garmin G3x touch screen equipment except the IFR navigator is
a Garmin 530W and the independent backup unit is a Grand Rapids Mini X.
Circuit protection is with the VPX Pro.
Currently working on organizing all the wires.

RV-14 VH-YVY Panel

Twin G3x, GTN650, GTX23, GTR200, GMC307, GMA245 & G5. I will be expecting a Christmas card from Garmin this year:)

Aussie panel

Graham,

That's my panel! At least the one I envisioned. Any trouble mounting the AP panel at the top of the stack? Did you do the panel work or hire it out? Looks fantastic. You're only 3 numbers ahead of me. Guess I need to pick up the pace.

James,
Steinair did the panel for me. The AP fits fine and I should still be able to put the canopy release in if I decide to. The GTN650 at the bottom require a slight mod to the sub panel because of its depth but no big deal.
The only change I am making is to put in a paddle style flap switch and use the centre switch for "PFD2".

Norris,

Nice looking panel. Did you have to cut out any relief in the canopy frame to clear the outboard upper corners of the GDUs when you close it? The corners of the displays look pretty close to the edge of the panel compared to other -14 panels I've seen, so I'm wondering if the flange on the canopy frame interferes when you try to close it all the way?

Mark,
I sure hope not. Haven't tried the canopy frame since installing the avionics. I will check and let you know.

Checking panel with canopy closed

Mark,
Thanks for your observation. Put the canopy on today to check clearances and the left G3X display just fits with maybe 1/32 inch to spare! "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then."
Norris

Here's mine. RV-14A N626KM

N626KMpanel.jpg

I went with an iPad instead of a second Garmin screen. It interacts well with either Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. For attitude/airdata backup I went with the G5.

In the picture, the PFD, Navigator and iPad are all sharing flight plan info. The PFD won't pass attitude info yet, because it doesn't know where it is and the magnetometer is not calibrated.

The 625 navigator has a built in demo mode and when in use all three devices talk with each other with simulated data sent from the 625. I have simulated several flights.

=======================
One year later.

The airplane is currently being painted after 110 hours of flight since first flight in June 2017. The panel has performed as well as I had hoped. I almost never actually touch the radio as I use the G3x interface to tune. Usually from the nearest or flight plan submenus.

I use the iPad and Foreflight to create flight plans or alter them and just send the new plans to the G3x and 625. Surprisingly less touching of the 625 than I thought I would as well. The iPad is very easy to remove or put back into the panel so I take it out after getting established in cruise, using it if needed to alter the route, and them putting it back in the panel for descent and landing. I also use Foreflight to examine weather in flight as it presents a better way to read and access weather data than the G3x weather page.

I setup the autopilot with the initial setting supplied by Van's for the G3x and the 14 and have had no issues with them so they remain unchanged.

*software updates have cured the following issue

I have enabled envelope protection and have had one minor and comical issue with it. Twice, after refueling, I have powered up the system and before starting the engine to taxi back to the hanger, the protection system has automatically engaged pushing the stick forward with a warning while I'm sitting still on the ground without the engine running. I have to disengage the AP to get it to stop trying pushing on the stick. Nothing like that has happened in the air

=======================
12/2020 and 368 hrs.

The system continues to be a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
N314KC gets a panel

Today, I completed installation of my avionics in my airframe (previously powered up on the bench in my wiring jig). It has what's becoming a common look - all Garmin with dual G3X Touches, GTN 650 and a G5 (GTR 20 radio and GTX 23ES transponder are remote, forward of the panel). The panel cutting, painting and labeling are by Aerotronics, but the design and all wiring I did myself. I'm quite proud of this accomplishment as I've never done anything like it before. (For the curious, the canopy is done but in the house for safekeeping, and the empty throttle cable hole is waiting for a custom cable later this week).

2i90dw9.jpg

Today, I completed installation of my avionics in my airframe (previously powered up on the bench in my wiring jig). It has what's becoming a common look - all Garmin with dual G3X Touches, GTN 650 and a G5 (GTR 20 radio and GTX 23ES transponder are remote, forward of the panel). The panel cutting, painting and labeling are by Aerotronics, but the design and all wiring I did myself. I'm quite proud of this accomplishment as I've never done anything like it before. (For the curious, the canopy is done but in the house for safekeeping, and the empty throttle cable hole is waiting for a custom cable later this week).

2i90dw9.jpg

Nice job Keith, looks great

Details?

Keith,

Remote boxes?
Could I come to your place and see?

Thanks

Last edited:
Keith, great panel!

I'm also coming up on my panel build and like Jay was curious of your placement of the remote avionic boxes.Any chance you could share a few photos of your "behind the scenes" operation.

Thanks Jim

Remote Boxes

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Jay - I'd be very pleased to have you visit. It would return the favor of several visits to your shop at Hicks. As you may know, I'm in Pecan Plantation 0TX1 and there are probably several of my neighbors who would drop by to see you as well. I will PM you with my phone number to set up a visit.

Regarding the remote boxes, I put the GTR 20 radio on the pilot side behind the panel, but in front of the sub-panel on two rails - just enough room forward for wires and just enough room aft for rocker switches and wires. On the passenger side, I mounted the GTX 23ES on rails between the panel and sub panel, and built a frame on top of the GTX 23 rack holding the GDL 39R. I made good use of the sub panel for other boxes (GAD 29, GEA 24, and TCW IPS) and located the GAD 27 on top of the tunnel forward of the wiring channel.

Jim - here are two pics I already had, though I will try and get a better one or two tomorrow.

Pilot side - GTR 20

Passenger side - GTX 23ES, GDL 39R

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpg
    IMG_4084.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 660
Last edited:
remote boxes

For those interested in mounting remote boxes between the panel and subpanel, here are some additional pics of my installation.

The GTX 23ES rack case being fitted (passenger side, the "lobes" on the case will be removed):
691ism.jpg

The rack case for the Xpdr with the GDL 39R mounted on top:
ljl3l.jpg

The rack case for the Xpdr in place (without the GDL 39R, checking spacing):
2ih6ufc.jpg

The GTR 20 on the pilot side:
2aaivdx.jpg

The full panel "trial" set up. Aerotronics offers (and I highly recommend it) a test "cut" of the panel in Lexan for evaluation of fit and layout, and here is everything in place just before installation of the G3X screens:
mm99bm.jpg

Nice panel Keith.

I am curious why you (and so many others) put the ELT control panel way over on the right side when with as small as it is it could easily be located somewhat directly in front of the pilot?

There could be a valid argument that it doesn't meet the TSO requirement for the installation of "in plain view of the pilot".

Another reason I wont locate them there is to avoid a curious passenger messing with it in flight and possibly activating it without the pilot noticing.

The last reason is that from my experience, the highest failure item with the ELT system is the G switch. I have replaced a lot of ELT's because they failed the yearly activation test.
If I am ever in a forced landing situation, I will manually activate the ELT rather than rely on it self activating if needed.
Because of this I want it easy to access.

Not meaning to judge....
Just seriously curious what makes so many people locate them almost out of reach.

Scott:

I don't have a good answer for you, as your points are valid. It could just have easily been above my G5. I have always thought about it as a device I don't need to access except for testing (or failure) so I wanted it out of prime real estate. Perhaps I'm victim to bias (many other panels including the RV-6A I'm currently flying have it on the far right). Or maybe it's because it is the most dated item on the panel (not been updated, not very ergonomically/esthetically designed as it is either very recessed as I have it mounted or very protruding if front mounted) and I don't want to look at it. Or maybe I naively believe it will never be used (passively or actively).

I can say that the only time I have used one was in my RV-6A when it went off by mechanical fault, I knew it through my headset, and we flew with my passenger pressing the reset button continuously for 25 minutes to silence it until we landed and disabled it. In that case, I was glad it was on the passenger side, but that's a pretty unusual case.

No good answer for you. ( I am okay with the CO detector on the far right as I have it connected to the G3X).

Is the inclusion of a second g3x screen more or less for aesthetics? Being on the passenger side it seems kind of out of the way and difficult to manage let alone see. Besides the fact a single g3x provides all the instrumentation you need most panel shots I see always depict the 2nd screen as just displaying the same info as the primary. Like literally just displaying engine information and using the same moving map as the PFD or fancy IFR screen.

I get the feeling the dual screen setup was popularized by Cirrus, and in their case it makes sense as the input panels are all located on a center stack below the screens somewhat like a car. Making a plane look like a lexus was a big part of cirrus's design philosophy, and they make good use of the dual screen setup by having each one run in full screen mode for their intended purpose. PFD is for instruments, MFD is for nav and it works well. But in all of these RV dual screen setups it seems like the 2nd screen will never really be used for anything. Between split screen mode on the G3X and just having your center stack occupied with your input panel the 2nd screen is just off in the distance doing nothing.

Thoughts?

In my case, my usual co-pilot/passenger is an active navigator and planner (though not a pilot). Not only will the 2nd screen make flying more enjoyable for her, she will be able to check everything out (route, WX, stops, etc.) without touching my screen, but she will help with navigation and flight plan changes.

Plus, I get redundancy if needed - in an emergency that 2nd screen will be quite valuable, and way easier to see than no screen at all :). Others will have different reasons I'm sure.

ok so the left seat is not actively using the screen under most circumstances, it's just a small added fee "just in case" (and lets be honest, a little bit of wow factor :) ). I'm fine with that, just wasnt sure how ergonomic it would be for use as a MFD.

Second Screen

A few reasons I can think of are:

- So the plane can be flown from the right for training purposes; I actually prefer flying from the right
- Inclusion of the passenger in the flight and flight processes
- Redundancy in case the left display has a failure

I actually had this happen to me last weekend. My PFD went out and I flipped the switch under the MFD to be used as a PFD. Garmin is swapping it out for a new one.

I originally did it to help others learn to fly from the right, but it sure came in handy. I use it all the time in regular flight though. When ATC tells me there is an aircraft in my vicinity, I flip to the traffic screen to find it if I don't see it out the window and it gives me a great idea of where they are. I will leave it on weather if the weather is bad, or if I am looking at the map on the PFD, I will use the sectional view on the MFD. It's also nice to have when taxiing at a strange airport, flying a procedure, etc. I love having the second screen. I also have another backup, GRT Mini, which is totally separate, but it's small and I like the bigger display if I have it.

Ok thanks guys, sounds like most of you use the MFD as more of a backup than anything else. I suppose it would see more use in flight if the screens were directly adjacent to each other but it appears as though the panel mounts for the 14 do not allow this, at least not if you want to make changes potentially compromising the airframe somehow.

Last edited:
This sounds crazy because we all assume up is on; but I seem to recall that my DAR said I had to have switches clearly labeled as to which way was "on". Maybe just a single large 'on' above all of them would do?

Looks good. The first thing I did with mine was switch the fuel level indicators. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Defrost

hi,
You have a defrost switch. Where do you put the defrost ventilator and does it work good? Thanks for your answer.
Johannes

The Red Grip covers were supplied by Ray Allen Grips on a trial bases and if I like them to send him money.
I forgot to send him money, thanks for the reminder as I got to call and find out how much.

Marvin,

I like that a lot! Planning on much the same equipment and hadn't considered putting the G5 next to the canopy jettison handle. Been trying to fit all of that, including the jettison, along with a panel mount audio panel but I don't think that's going to work. Going to have to go with a remote.

Jettison handle

Marvin,

I like that a lot! Planning on much the same equipment and hadn't considered putting the G5 next to the canopy jettison handle. Been trying to fit all of that, including the jettison, along with a panel mount audio panel but I don't think that's going to work. Going to have to go with a remote.

I had to cut the jettison handle to rotate it vertical and bent it at the cut to allow for offsetting it slightly to the right. I would have preferred the autopilot to be at the top, but that was a problem with the canopy handle. In retrospect, it could have been, but I'm gonna fly it as is. I used the space behind the autopilot controller to make a diode protected essential bus for the SDSEFI components. The SDS controller is between the seats at the bottom of the picture.

Here's my panel plan

Not a real panel yet but well into the planning stage.

Here's my wanna-be panel. Been editing equipment and PanelPlanner layout for a couple-a-few months.

Plan to go Garmin; left to right - G5 / ARETX ELT / G3X 10" EFIS / TOGA button / - top to bottom stack - AP / 650 / NavComm / Audio Panel / - G3X 7" portrait - Hobbs.

Plan to get started on acquiring and building within a month or so of new year

oT5.jpg

Last edited:
Why Audio panel on the bottom and AP on top? You'll touch the AP more on every flight than the audio panel.

Why? - Because >

Why Audio panel on the bottom and AP on top? You'll touch the AP more on every flight than the audio panel.

Why I put the A/P at the top and the Audio Panel at the bottom of the center stack:

Objective, Weighable, Measurable, or Quantitative;
I shortened the canopy release handle to extend just out of the sub-panel face and clears the back side of the A/P with no interference when pulled to release the canopy; as the Audio Panel extends further and presents a clearance issue when pulling the canopy release handle. I chose not to provide a canopy release ability when in-flight, only for maintenance and accessibility purposes.

And, I will touch the A/P more than the Audio Panel while flying.

Subjective, Conditional, or Qualitative;
The A/P at the top of the center stack - more comfortable and easier to interface with because it is closer to eye level, less ‘clutter’ nearby at the top, logically located close to the TOGA button immediately to the left and above the 10” EFIS.

I like the Audio Panel at the bottom of the center stack - personal preference.

My plane, my money - my rules.

Last edited:
Panel In

Panel is in!

Attachments

• 3A732E1D-E848-4F1D-A179-7064C9C94770.jpg
    3A732E1D-E848-4F1D-A179-7064C9C94770.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Thanks. The throttle quadrant goes in easily, like it was designed to fit. Just had to install a couple of nut plates to secure it. I have a Thunderbolt engine with an FM-150, so had to install the supplemental cable plate and hoses. Now, I have to figure out the proper throttle and mixture cable lengths for a quadrant, since the cable plate and fittings were designed for the standard vernier cable lengths.

Last edited:
Thanks. The throttle quadrant goes in easily, like it was designed to fit. Just had to install a couple of nut plates to secure it. I have a Thunderbolt engine with an FM-150, so had to install the supplemental cable plate and hoses. Now, I have to figure out the proper throttle and mixture cable lengths for a quadrant, since the cable plate and fittings were designed for the standard vernier cable lengths.

Where did you get the quadrant?

Back