What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 9.17.2024. #6171. Anniversary of my RV-6 First Flight. ;^)

First flight of our RV-6 (22) years ago today, Mr. Jay Pratt at the controls. Time sure flies. Jaybird, thanks again for the test pilot duties and mentorship! Alex DeDominicis, thanks again for the tailwheel endorsement and RV-specific training back in the day! 
Still lovin me this dang airplane - got my IFR and COMM ratings in it, and now I’m an A-honest-to-God-T-P getting sometimes paid to PERF INIT and IFR to mins. RVs can lead to some really cool stuff!!! Very grateful.
v/r,dr

John Walsh photo of me a few years back on rollout:
IMG_0455.jpg

dr
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 8.01.37 AM.png

Hoz
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.43.08 PM.png

DanH reply re: baffling
There is further improvement available in two areas, if you wish.
Pressure in the Inlet is relatively high, something on the order of static pressure plus (ballpark) 70~90% of the available dynamic pressure, so sealing there is particularly important. Unfortunately, most RVs surveyed, including yours, have baffle rubber extending forward from the side and center walls. In most cases pressure pushes the seal away from any contact with the fiberglass cowl. Result is a large leak, often at both the inboard and outboard sides.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/baffling-clean-up.229364/post-1792965
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.44.23 PM.png

Torque seal substitue reply …jim31886
99cent bottle of whatever color you want nail polish from the aviation aisle at Walmart Some micro ballons or cotton floss and yer good to go.
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.46.14 PM.png

Carb Heat reply …Dan 57
My carbed O-360 engine, standard FAB/carb heat, has now close to 2.2Kh. During the 1'900 (bought the aircraft around 300 hours old) I've flown her, some were in dire conditions... all T ranges, many different kind of clouds, light rain, torrential rain, light freezing rain, fog, many times in moderate icing. By which I mean windshield iced over, and up to 2cm ice on the leading edges. Never had carb ice during those encounters...
I've had the engine starting to stumble, then pulled the carb "heat", engine ran normally instantly. No variation in MP before or after the action. I strongly suspect ice building up on the ram air inlet to the point of blocking it, selecting carb "heat" effectively acting as alternate air. This has happened 3 times in a vast amount of hours flown in carb ice prone weather.
…Beware that this has only been my own experience during this time, with a pretty standard configuration, YMMV!
Used to have a carb T probe/indication, this has been ditched in the meantime as there's no purpose really. Sporting the standard Mickey Mouse carb heat system, testing shows a minute 10-20 RPM drop.
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.46.53 PM.png

RV White Pages Updated….dr
…under ‘Links’ in ‘The VAF List’ (a list of lists)

moespeeds
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.47.30 PM.png

MIKE JG
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 3.28.26 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 12.33.22 PM.png

Please consider donating yearly to help keep this American 1-person pirate ship afloat:

Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

THE VAF LIST (a list of RV-related lists)

Last edited:
Back