What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A #73840

RossK

I'm New Here
Patron
Well, I've officially started building an RV-7A
I'm the third owner of this Kit and if you haven't read Vans warnings about buying older kits, particulary the bit about unboxed, original packaging you should.
Kit 1.jpg
When I unboxed the kit for the first time in its 14 year life, this is the result of storing aluminum in carboard for 14 years
Both HS-609PP pieces have corrosion like this20240321_191749.jpg

So, 2 new HS-609PP's are on order, and I moved on to the Vertical Stabiliser

20240321_193147.jpg20240321_210331.jpg

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the world of building an RV-7A. It is a very interesting journey and very satisfying as you see it come together. Plus you will get to meet some interesting people along the way and learn some new skills.

If you haven't already done so I would suggest you join your local SAAA Chapter so you have a group of fellow builders to interact with and who can provide advice and help. Plus that Chapter will have its own Technical Councillor to work with you through the build process.

Good luck and have fun.

Regards,

There will be plenty of bumps in the road along the way. The end result is worth it.

You may have already done so, but I recommend you review the service bulletins related to the empennage that have been released since that kit was made 14 years ago. It's a much simpler process to include the new & improved parts into the tail when you're at this stage.

Following this thread, I am getting ready to buy an RV-7A kit as well. Let the fun begin.

I've joined the SAAA, yet to get to a meeting though.
I've transferred the Kit # with Vans to me, and have received the empennage SB kits required for a 14yo kit.
Interestingly, Vans wouldn't release the SB kit order until I had a kit # registered to me.

Well, I've officially started building an RV-7A
I'm the third owner of this Kit and if you haven't read Vans warnings about buying older kits, particulary the bit about unboxed, original packaging you should.

When I unboxed the kit for the first time in its 14 year life, this is the result of storing aluminum in carboard for 14 years
Both HS-609PP pieces have corrosion like thisView attachment 58925
The good news is that those parts above did that mostly because they're made from bar stock thats not alclad. The plans will tell you for sure, but a rule of thumb is that any bar or angle stock MUST be primed/painted for this very reason. The parts that are covered in blue vinyl are alclad (the core alloy is covered with a top layer of pure aluminum). The blue stuff can entrap moisture, especially around the edges and street some corrosion going, but overall they will fair much better than what you've got going on above.

Back