What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7/7A In-Flight Breakup Accident Information

It's been 2 years since this thread started. Great discussion & thanks to those who've keep the stats updated.
Are those who've replaced the RV-7 rudder with the RV-8, satisfied with the change, function & performance? Any regrets?

It's been 2 years since this thread started. Great discussion & thanks to those who've keep the stats updated.
Are those who've replaced the RV-7 rudder with the RV-8, satisfied with the change, function & performance? Any regrets?
There are several post from people who made the change. All have positive reviews and seem pleased with the change.

Replaced mine a couple of years ago after the storm at Osh damaged so many rudders (mine was not damaged but that gave me the incentive).
Glad I did it, stronger, looks better, handles great.

The -8 rudder is working fine on my -7, 200+ hours so far, first flight March of 2023. We did aerobatic testing, including spins. The spin results were what was expected, it didn’t just snap out on heading, had to hold the input in for a quarter to half turn before recovery. I’ll gladly give up some spin recovery performance for possibly greater flutter margins.
Edit: The spin testing showed that the aircraft was very resistant to spinning, it had to be really forced into a spin.

Last edited:
The -8 rudder is working fine on my -7, 200+ hours so far, first flight March of 2023. We did aerobatic testing, including spins. The spin results were what was expected, it didn’t just snap out on heading, had to hold the input in for a quarter to half turn before recovery. I’ll gladly give up some spin recovery performance for possibly greater flutter margins.
Edit: The spin testing showed that the aircraft was very resistant to spinning, it had to be really forced into a spin.
Great pirep! Thanks. I'm considering it for a winter project, if Vans get the rudder off of backorder status.

Danny
I wouldn't trust the "backorder" status. You might just try ordering it and see what happens. I've ordered wheel pants, leg fairings etc...all showed BO and all shipped. YMMV.

A
Thanks. I just called them & they have it all in stock. Apparently, she said they call out “back ordered” on all sub kits in the web store, which forces a call in order.

Did you happen to do spin testing with 2 people on board/ different weights? Curious how it does with different weights.

Back