What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7/7A In-Flight Breakup Accident Information

I have an RV-7 with an AEIO-390x built by Barrett Engines. When I first bought this airplane from a buddy (partially built from a slow build) my intentions were to race at the Reno Air Races! I finished the -7 and it had the stock -7 rudder (big). I knew I wanted to switch it out for the -8 rudder because I had heard of some of the other-7's that crashed due to rudder flutter and the tail ripping off. I ended up flying my -7 for about 400 hours before changing out the -7 rudder for the smaller -8 rudder.
My experience is the -8 rudder is so much nicer than the -7 large rudder. The smaller -8 rudder has a lot less foot force required to yaw the plane. The rudder forces required are like the rest of the control forces in that they all feel balanced and equal in the amount of force needed for desired flight control. The larger -7 rudder was very heavy and made you really work for the yaw needed for landings in cross winds. I really LIKE the -8 rudder on my -7 and it gives me piece of mind at higher airspeeds.
BTW, my Reno dreams of racing disappeared once I found out the racers (in RV's) were hitting 260mph+ on the start of the race coming into pylon 1. There was no way I was going to do that in my -7, even with the -8 rudder!

Can someone post or send me the small rudder/ -8 drawing and manual page for building one? I thought I had it already but cannot for the life of me figure out where it is. I can probably figure it out just from the drawing but wouldn't mind the manual section too if possible. Thanks!

Finally think I have time to build one.
Attached are the RV-8 rudder drawing and the assembly manual section.

Attachments

• 07_8.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 28
  • RV-8-8A Manual - Section 6,7.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I have an RV-7 with an AEIO-390x built by Barrett Engines. When I first bought this airplane from a buddy (partially built from a slow build) my intentions were to race at the Reno Air Races! I finished the -7 and it had the stock -7 rudder (big). I knew I wanted to switch it out for the -8 rudder because I had heard of some of the other-7's that crashed due to rudder flutter and the tail ripping off. I ended up flying my -7 for about 400 hours before changing out the -7 rudder for the smaller -8 rudder.
My experience is the -8 rudder is so much nicer than the -7 large rudder. The smaller -8 rudder has a lot less foot force required to yaw the plane. The rudder forces required are like the rest of the control forces in that they all feel balanced and equal in the amount of force needed for desired flight control. The larger -7 rudder was very heavy and made you really work for the yaw needed for landings in cross winds. I really LIKE the -8 rudder on my -7 and it gives me piece of mind at higher airspeeds.
BTW, my Reno dreams of racing disappeared once I found out the racers (in RV's) were hitting 260mph+ on the start of the race coming into pylon 1. There was no way I was going to do that in my -7, even with the -8 rudder!
Concur on the advantages of the -8 rudder on the -7. I have an 8 VS and rudder on my Super Six, slightly modified, and fully tested, for the speed my plane can achieve. Working on a nexgen version of that, as well as a HS and Elevator with strength and flutter margin mods, both for racing and descents from high teen cruise altitudes.

Little point of clarification on the racing speeds (no smoke blown here, just our SOP). We released the Medallion heat, where most 4-cyl RV's raced in Reno, at 150-160 KIAS. We developed a strategy for flatter, slower and later releases, to prevent too much downhill acceleration prior to getting down and level on the course. Typical Medallion speeds are in the 220-230 mph range, and when started right, they wouldn't see much more than that around Outer 4, 5 and 6 on lap 1 (where we started the race in Reno). If we dropped them early or high (steep), the racers needed to be cautious about power setting after release, and when they threw on N20 (f they had it), and their descent angle onto the course. Add about 10-15 KIAS to that for the Bronze release and top speeds. More still for the Silver start, which rarely had RVs in it...the occasional Rocket, but few RVs. Sorry the here-say prevented you from racing. Perhaps down the road. :)

Back