What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

Asking for a friend....

I see that some G3 installations are switchable between glass and steam. A friend is currently debating the panel choices - he's used to steam and doesn't see the need for him but recognising that he will probably sell the aircraft and the value will be held better if it has a glass panel.

Switchable might help his decision....

It is easily switchable in G3X Touch. Built in to the G3X by Garmin.
You can switch back and forwards at will.
Edit: As answered above by MED (post 398).

Static Pressure Adjust?

How about capability to adjust static pressure values to get perfect IAS across the aircraft speed range?

Jeff

Yes Walt, you are correct; turning off auto-trim allows manual trim while autopilot engaged. Since I suspect a problem with the auto-trim; it would be nice to be able to turn the auto trim on and off in flight to troubleshoot. I have a theory that the autopilot changes pitch trim too quickly and causes overshoot problems on approach; but I can't find a consistent way to test it as turning things on and off requires a panel reboot in a phase of flight where that is very undesirable.

Next time I fly I'm going with the auto trim off and see how things go with a pretty good test plan. Then I'll do the same later with the trim on. I hate rebooting screens in the air for config mode though so I'll just spread out the testing.

I'm pretty sure if you turn off auto-trim then manual trimming is available without AP disconnect.

I figured that would be the case. I recall this being set in config mode. Is there a way to turn off auto pitch trim on the fly?

My point was why would trimming in an axis which the autopilot was not in control cause the AP to kick off. It doesn't make sense (to me).

My point was why would trimming in an axis which the autopilot was not in control cause the AP to kick off. It doesn't make sense (to me).

I agree, that seems nonsensical. Have you contacted Garmin?

Reading the manual, it looks like there might be a workaround using the AP disconnect button to "pause" the autopilot:
An AP DISC/CWS Button is located on the pilot’s control
stick. This button combines the functions of Autopilot
Disconnect and Control Wheel Steering. (Note: the
Control Wheel Steering function can be disabled in config
mode, which causes the button to perform the Autopilot
Disconnect function only)
Press and release the AP DISC/CWS Button to disengage
the autopilot. Pressing and releasing the button again will
acknowledge an autopilot disconnect alert and mute the
associated aural tone.
Pressing and holding the AP DISC/CWS Button when
the autopilot is engaged will temporarily disengage the
pitch and roll servos and interrupt auto-trim operation.

The pilot can then hand-fly the aircraft to a new attitude
and release the AP DISC/CWS button to re-engage the
autopilot servos and synchronize the flight director to the
aircraft’s new attitude. The ability to use Control Wheel
Steering may be disabled in config mode if desired.
If the configuration supports it, pressing and holding the
AP DISC/CWS button while the autopilot is not engaged
will cause the autopilot to engage. If the flight director
was previously off, the default FD modes (PIT and ROL)
will be selected. The ability to engage the autopilot using
the CWS button may be disabled in config mode if desired.

Autopilot Performance

On vertical track my pitch seems to wander around. Awesome up and down for general alt changes just on a GS it walks when I don’t want it to. Would like to TS without reboot reload

Can you please send us a flight data log of one of your flights in which this occurs, alongside the autopilot and trim settings that were entered for that specific flight?

Thanks,

Justin

Flight Director Modes

I get why trimming disconnects the autopilot...

But I guess I was surprised that while the autopilot was engaged in Nav mode and I was controlling the altitude (i.e., no altitude function was set (hold or climbing)), I hit the pitch trim switch and the AP disengaged.

Seems like I should have been able to trim pitch if the AP isn't controlling pitch.

Just a thought...

It is not possible to engage only one axis of a 2-axis autopilot. The flight datalogs provide a very good overview of what flight director modes were active when the autopilot was engaged, and will help explain anything that is not adding up for you. Please send us one of the the flights in question and we can work through it for you.

Thanks,

Justin

It is not possible to engage only one axis of a 2-axis autopilot.

Ah, I see now. Below are the modes that get activated for each AP control. Looks like Pitch Hold is the default when a lateral mode is selected. And "PIT" should be shown in the AFCS annunciation area of the G3X I assume.

eWy8zvF.png

Last edited:
Ah, I see now. Below are the modes that get activated for each AP control. Looks like Pitch Hold is the default when a lateral mode is selected. And "PIT" should be shown in the AFCS annunciation area of the G3X I assume.

eWy8zvF.png

Hmmm... After takeoff I turned toward my initial heading, established my climb speed and then engaged the autopilot. As the speed drifted I hit the trim switch and the AP kicked off. I guess I wasn't controlling the climb out because the AP was in the default pitch hold mode.

I guess that makes sense. I thought I was just doing an awesome job of holding my climb speed!

Thanks,

Question

The way my harness is wired, the following can be powered via the TWC backup battery: GDU 460 (G3X screen), GEA 24 (EIS) and GSU 25 (ADAHRS). So, in a backup power situation, the GMU 11 is not powered. Hence, I’m wondering, can I still shoot a GPS approach with the GMU 11 inop? I understand that, if the GMU 11 is inop, the G3X and G5 will display GPS ground track in lieu of magnetic heading, so I assume it's still possible, just want to confirm.

The GTN does not require (that I'm aware) magnetic heading inputs to do an approach, but Is magnetic heading is one of the items you have to declare to ATC if it becomes INOP during IMC?

The way my harness is wired, the following can be powered via the TWC backup battery: GDU 460 (G3X screen), GEA 24 (EIS) and GSU 25 (ADAHRS). So, in a backup power situation, the GMU 11 is not powered. Hence, I’m wondering, can I still shoot a GPS approach with the GMU 11 inop? I understand that, if the GMU 11 is inop, the G3X and G5 will display GPS ground track in lieu of magnetic heading, so I assume it's still possible, just want to confirm.

The GTN is not powered during the backup power situation, so does it matter?

The GTN is not powered during the backup power situation, so does it matter?

Probably not. I figure, in an emergency situation, one could shoot a GPS approach using the built-in WAAS GPS of the G3X, even though it’s not technically IFR certified. Of course, using emergency authority probably negates the need for the magnetometer, too.

The on-board database does not have sufficient fixes for you to fly the approach. Personally I feel the need for more redundancy for IFR flights to be able to power the GTN and PFD.

The on-board database does not have sufficient fixes for you to fly the approach. Personally I feel the need for more redundancy for IFR flights to be able to power the GTN and PFD.

Hmm. Approach Fast Stack wired the harness this way, saying it was according to Garmons specs. The G3X Touch database includes the waypoints on the final approach segment of a published approach. That should be sufficient in the event of emergency.

I wish.....

That the Garmin Database Concierge would work with a G3X-GTN650-GTX45R setup to do ANYTHING. With all the Wifi and bluetooth, and an ethernet between the GTN and GTX I don't know why all this capability can't let me update a GTN database from my cell phone. It is such a drag to have to pull G3X and GTN SD cards out to a computer to update them. And to have an SD card reader in my flight bag so if I'm out and about I can be current on the road.

Please Garmin, please make all this connectivity work together for database updates. And no thank you to spend another $1295 plus tax for the FlightStream 510 just to do the GTN update (but not the topography - that still has to go out to the computer). Everything else the 510 does we already have.

Of course, there is a chance it already does it and I just don't know how..... in which case I'll edit this into an excuse me message.

The Flighstream 510 is too big a money maker for the Big G for them to remove the requirement to buy it to enable wireless updates to the GTN. The GTN has HSDB, ARINC 429 and RS232 that could easily be used to tie updates with G3X via GAD 29B, and GI 275 and GTX 45R via HSDB. The GI 275 and G3X have Bluetooth and Wifi already onboard, too. I will say the GI 275 architecture with the HSDB links between multiple 275's and GMU 11 allow for seamless updates across the units. Similar to the G3X LRU linking via CAN Bus. And do I understand that the newer Txi version of the GTN might have wifi updating?

I can't imagine doing large database/charts update with my phone, some of those are very large files that I think would take forever.
Even at home with high speed internet it takes a bit of time. Better have a good battery/GPU.

On thing that I really miss from my GRT is a dual stage Oil Pressure warning. I would like the low end to have one warning minimum for above a set RPM (like 1000) and another for below that RPM. My Lyc's will often drop a hair below 50 at idle and don't really want to set my warning below 50 and would really rather keep it at 60, without the annoying warning on landing roll out. Please put this on the non-touch series as well.

Lary

For the callout for minimums, it would be useful to have a callout at minimums plus 100' to give time to arrest the descent to avoid busting minimums if distracted by other workload tasks on the IFR approach. Yes, I know I could just set the minimums 100' higher than they actually are, but I also like to have the actual number readily available.

Last edited:
When showing the waypoint information for a VOR (or, I suppose, NDB), show the communication box or the data it contains. This would make it a lot easier to go from the map page to having an FSS frequency, call sign, and location to use. On my flight to Oshkosh and back this week, I contacted FSS three times and each time wished that this information were easier to bring up.

Sirius XM

Two features actually...

1. Provide mechanism to control SXM receiver in GDU 465 from other networked GDU 4x0.
2. Propagate SXM weather from GDU 465 to other networked GDU 4x0.

The former should be a simple matter of exposing the SXM control API on the CAN bus. The later is a bit more complicated - perhaps pushing SXM weather over RS-232/Connext or Bluetooth.

Respectfully,

B

Remote navigator

Make a remote navigator that is a replacement for the GPS 20 A that is able to allow the system to upgrade the G3x touch to be a fully integrated and approved system like the G1000. It really isn't necessary to have an extra navigator in the panel like the GPS 175 or 375, when it can all be achieved through the G3x touch.

Enable the G3X to store all G loading info, and have it downloaded on the SD card.

Also, one second data snap-shops are archaic in speed. Need it to be in the milliseconds for any real usefulness.

Hey Garmin...are you listening?

one second data snap-shops are archaic in speed. Need it to be in the milliseconds for any real usefulness.

0.1 second data is available by saving the G3x flight data recorder file (fdr_xxxxxxxxx.csv file when saved to the SD card)

Given a starting fuel quantity, the G3X can tell us total fuel quantity remaining by monitoring fuel flow as the flight progresses. This is great, however, I would love if the G3X could keep track of fuel quantity PER TANK, not just total fuel.

Here's how it could work: Start with the pilot inputting the fuel tank quantities and which tank is selected. Then, in conjunction with a fuel-tank switch reminder, we would input when we switch tanks.

Any chance this functionality be added in a future software update?

Vertical Navigation (VNAV)

When using the VNAV feature of the G3X, be great to be able to see the calculated TOD (Top Of Descent) and BOD (Bottom of Descent) positions displayed on the map/track page. Be also great to see the TOD timer displayed on the main display without having to go back into the VNAV menu.

G1000 also produces and aural alert “Vertical Track” a minute before TOD to warn you are getting close.

Last edited:
When using the VNAV feature of the G3X, be great to be able to see the calculated TOD (Top Of Descent) and BOD (Bottom of Descent) positions displayed on the map/track page. Be also great to see the TOD timer displayed on the main display without having to go back into the VNAV menu.

G1000 also produces and aural alert “Vertical Track” a minute before TOD to warn you are getting close.

You can see a TOD timer at the top of the flight plan page so you don't have to go all the way to the VNAV config page.

I would like to see a TOD marker on the display as well.

I was about to reply that this was added for the latest release, but when I read it again I realised that it is only for external navigators! Weird, would definitely love for this to happen for the internal VNAV as well.

I was about to reply that this was added for the latest release, but when I read it again I realised that it is only for external navigators! Weird, would definitely love for this to happen for the internal VNAV as well.

Apologies, that was not clear in my post, yes, internal VNAV. The aural warning on the G1000 a minute or two before TOD is really handy as thats when I like to wind down the altitude bug to below the VNAV target altitude, that way I can easily see if the AP is nicely in the FD target until prior to descent.

Putting the TOD and BOD markers on the map sourced from internal VNAV would be great for reviewing obstacles and terrain while in the air

How about the option to have the Fuel Tank Reminder alarm be triggered by the Fuel Used Calculator rather than by time. The user could select the number of gallons use that would trigger a Fuel Tank Reminder alarm.

This could be a stand-alone feature, or coupled with my previous suggestion.

How about the option to have the Fuel Tank Reminder alarm be triggered by the Fuel Used Calculator rather than by time. The user could select the number of gallons use that would trigger a Fuel Tank Reminder alarm.

This could be a stand-alone feature, or coupled with my previous suggestion.

I have mine set that way -- every 5 gallons. This was aded in the 8.71 firmware release -- It's not in the Pilot's Guide however; odd...

Last edited:
0.1 second data is available by saving the G3x flight data recorder file (fdr_xxxxxxxxx.csv file when saved to the SD card)

Do you know, how many flights are stored in the internal storage of the flight data recorder? Is there a maximum?

Do you know, how many flights are stored in the internal storage of the flight data recorder? Is there a maximum?

I don’t know of a published limit for the G3X internal data recording, but it seems like “many”. However, if you have an SD card inserted in the PFD (or MFD), it will store either a 1000 hours of flight data or 1000 files on the card, whichever comes first. A new file is created with each flight.

A little trivia is that the files will start recording when the GDU is turned on, so if you have one GDU, such as your MFD, come on with the EIS (GEA 24), and then the other, such as the PFD, with an avionics master after engine start, the files on your MFD will include the engine start data, whereas the files on the PFD will not.

Also, if you’re using Garmin Pilot app on your phone or ipad, it will automatically upload your flight’s data to fly.garmin.com at the end of the flight.

Last edited:
Garmin Aviation Database Manager app for iPad

I wish the Garmin Aviation Database Manager was available as an iPad app.

As it stands now, it's only available for Windows or Mac. Sometimes I get to the plane to update the databases and find that something went wrong with the database on the SD card. So then I have to re-download the databases.

I rarely bring my laptop with me when I fly, but I always have my iPad. Also, my iPad has cell data, whereas my laptop does not. If Garmin Aviation Database Manager was available as an iPad app, I could easily redo the download right there on the spot!

I wish the Garmin Aviation Database Manager was available as an iPad app.

As it stands now, it's only available for Windows or Mac. Sometimes I get to the plane to update the databases and find that something went wrong with the database on the SD card. So then I have to re-download the databases.

I rarely bring my laptop with me when I fly, but I always have my iPad. Also, my iPad has cell data, whereas my laptop does not. If Garmin Aviation Database Manager was available as an iPad app, I could easily redo the download right there on the spot!

Oh, this one is excellent! This would be -VERY- handy!

Oil Pressure alarm Suggestion

There was a fatal crash (2 fatalities) recently on VAF due to low oil pressure.

Suggestion: set up G3X to for two alarms for oil pressure based on RPM. One at 800 rpm and another at 2000 rpm and higher. A linear interpolation could be used for RPM in-between and fixed at 2000 and up. Allow standard settings for the alarm.

Why: Engine oil pressure is established at the manufacturer as oil-to-bearing pressure and temperature. This will establish the pressure needed for adequate cooling of the bearings, (primarily the rod bearings) and viscosity for bearing to journal clearance under full engine loads.

It is a known fact that the minimum oil press at IDLE rpm is established for hot oil and becomes an indicator for pressures at the higher temps and rpm. Although the pressure will increase and therefore the alarm will cease with higher RPM, it does not mean that the OTB pressures are adequate for sustainable operation. In fact, the pressure is not adequate for an engine under load. The engine rod bearings can fail/will due to inadequate oil pressure even though there is no alarm in the cockpit. Usually this catastrophic cascade of events results in a broken rod and hole in the case. A fire is likely to result as there can still be significant oil present and red hot internal engine parts as the ignition source.

The basics are this:
a. Engine oil pressure increases with RPM due to a fixed displacement pump.
b. Forces on the bearings increase with RPM, and manifold pressure.
c. Oil pressure (and therefore flow) to maintain temperatures and oil film thickness at the bearings increase with force on the bearing.

Evidence:
Excerpt from Lycoming Specifications document. (op-lims)
Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 8.34.25 AM.jpg

G3Xpert: your acknowledgment would be appreciated.

And that's all I have to say about that. Contact me if you wish to discuss.

Suggestion: set up G3X to for two alarms for oil pressure based on RPM. One at 800 rpm and another at 2000 rpm and higher. A linear interpolation could be used for RPM in-between and fixed at 2000 and up. Allow standard settings for the alarm.

[
This would be a HIGHLY desirable feature!
I've run into this multiple time when I have to set the lower OP limit below what is normally recommended to prevent nuisance alarms/warnings.

Back