-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:34 AM

Given the websites' extreme similarities, I wonder if usaoilfilters is just a distributor sister-business of K&P. Regardless, the S15 oil filter assembly combo looks to be what we're all familiar with, by your parts listing below.

BTW, as noted on older threads and both companies' websites, the C4 housing no longer exists. The FE15 filter and S15 assembly both reference fitting into the C3 housing now. I emailed K&P this morning asking for confirmation that this C3 housing is still the intended replacement for a 48108 / 48109-series filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
I'm sad to learn of K&P's owner passing; I talked with him a few times over the years and appreciate his innovation. However, I did just order an S40 filter for my motorcycle and it came within a few days, so I'd say the business is still running well.

The Challenger filter is made by K&P for Challenger; and they are rightfully protective of Challenger's PMA status, which I discovered years ago when I bought replacement quad rings for my Challenger filters on my Baron.

However, for experimental use, which we are talking about, a Lycoming engine will use the C4 housing, the element is FE-15, the spring is FE-RS1 and the o-ring is QR2. These components together will form a a non-PMA filter that mirrors the Challenger CP48109.

You can order these as parts online at https://usaoilfilters.com.

I personally have K&P filters on all of my vehicles - driven mostly by their very high quality and excellent filtration, but also by no longer tossing oil filters in the garbage and buying new ones. It's $180 or so for the filter components I described, so there is a pay-back period. But it also solves supply chain issues on disposable filters.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:05 AM

I'm using the S-15 with 3/4-16x3/4-16 nipple as a replacement for the CH48110-1.

I drilled three #60 holes on the aft most rib at 120 locations for safety wire.

Last edited by bjdecker : 04-25-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 AM

Same here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	604B9A03-8236-4F28-9BF5-65B8BABB33A2.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	25105  

www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9i #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 04-25-2022, 12:11 PM

I have a brand new filter element which I believe it has a 13/16-16 thread for sell if anyone is interested. This will fit the housing for CP-48108C I can look up the exact part number if anyone is interested.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 04-25-2022, 12:34 PM

I went ahead and ordered an S-15 from usaoilfilters.

Interestingly, I got a reply a few moments ago from K&P, so they're certainly still around. Even though I made clear this was for an experimental engine on an experimental aircraft, their only word on the matter was that they were not set up liability/insurance-wise for anything aviation-related, and that it all had to go through Challenger.

But I'm pretty sure that was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink deal, because in the next paragraph they confirmed that for a /non-aviation application/, the equivalent to a Champion 48108 is still the S-15. Even going so far as to mention the safety wire drill hole locations "which many race applications require" (their words in the reply).
Old 04-25-2022, 12:52 PM

After reading this the return on investment is quick enough to make the purchase. I change my oil every 25 hours and fly about 140 hours a year. The convenience is a huge factor as well! Glad that we can pick up the S15 and the nipple as well as stay away from "aviation pricing"

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!
Old 04-25-2022, 12:54 PM

When I was in the market for it, they would sell the housing but not the filter element for aviation.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 04-25-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalmos View Post
I went ahead and ordered an S-15 from usaoilfilters.

Interestingly, I got a reply a few moments ago from K&P, so they're certainly still around. Even though I made clear this was for an experimental engine on an experimental aircraft, their only word on the matter was that they were not set up liability/insurance-wise for anything aviation-related, and that it all had to go through Challenger.

But I'm pretty sure that was a nudge-nudge-wink-wink deal, because in the next paragraph they confirmed that for a /non-aviation application/, the equivalent to a Champion 48108 is still the S-15. Even going so far as to mention the safety wire drill hole locations "which many race applications require" (their words in the reply).
Definitely going on an airboat if anybody asks.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalmos View Post
Given the websites' extreme similarities, I wonder if usaoilfilters is just a distributor sister-business of K&P. Regardless, the S15 oil filter assembly combo looks to be what we're all familiar with, by your parts listing below.

BTW, as noted on older threads and both companies' websites, the C4 housing no longer exists. The FE15 filter and S15 assembly both reference fitting into the C3 housing now. I emailed K&P this morning asking for confirmation that this C3 housing is still the intended replacement for a 48108 / 48109-series filter.

K&P owns both websites, usaoilflters is simply their online store.

The C4 housing does exist - it's the same part without the PMA laser etching they make for Challenger. I bought one last year and I suspect you will need to call them and explain what you need it for and allay their concerns over the PMA part they make for Challenger.

If you're going the route of the non-safety wired filter, then the S15 will work well.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.

Last edited by rongawer : 04-26-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:17 PM

The FBO where I've always bought my oil filter says they won't be selling them to the public any longer because they can't get any like the rest of us. They have a small fleet of aircraft to maintain so I do understand. I can't find any suppliers with the tempest 48110-2 instock. This problem isn't likely to go away for awhile soooo...... I just spent a couple hundred bucks on one of these K&P filters.

Discovered this thread and from what I've read and researched, it appears so be a godsend. I ordered the S-15 along with the 3/4-16 double male adapter nipple. Also an extra o-ring. The fact that they are reusable will save $30.00 for a new filter, (which we can't get), with every oil change. I average at least 2 and sometimes 3 oil changes a year so the payback should only take a couple years.
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
VAF supporter $$$