Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Electrical system

Jeremy,

Have you discussed your electrical system anywhere in your post?

Curious to know where you settled on this.

Cheers

First Flight 7/17/2021!!
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 06-02-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Jeremy,

Have you discussed your electrical system anywhere in your post?

Curious to know where you settled on this.

Cheers
I have had a couple of other threads on here as well as the Aeroelectric forums. Long story short I went with Bob K.'s Z-13/8 schematic. I stuck pretty closely to it too. The only thing I did differently is I have two ANL fuses. Feel free to pop me a PM with your email and I could even send a PDF of the schematic (I made some changes).
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Oh boy, started the cowl a couple of days ago. I can already tell this is going to be fun...

After a bit of sanding and trimming this is about the best I can get the halves nested behind the spinner. The flanges of the top don't extend down far enough and I can't bring them together anymore as the spinner area would no longer be round. Looks like I have some flox jobs in store for the future.

20200601_180910 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Luckily the fore and aft relation of the two cowl halves is not nearly as bad as I have seen on some build logs.

20200601_181021 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then is was on to getting the top fit to the fuse. This wasn't too bad to do. Just takes a bit of time measuring and eyeballing to make sure it is in the right spot.

20200602_144614 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is a closeup of the seam after trimming. Trimming was surprisingly quick.

20200602_160225 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also started fitting the bottom cowl but forgot to take pics. I'll report back tomorrow when I get the bottom all trimmed up.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:44 PM

Got the bottom cowl fit today and everything drilled to their respective hinges. Fitting the bottom cowl wasn't as bad as some make it out to seem.

She aint perfect but it's pretty good so far. Tomorrow I will take care of some details like the oil door and center attach plates (nose gear leg area) and then start working on fit and finish. The finish is going to take some time for sure but you got to start somewhere.

Here it is all trimmed up and ready for more drilling. Not too shabby.

20200603_132217 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Everything all drilled up.

20200603_160623 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

The gap is a little less than 1/4". I will have some filling/sanding to do in this area to get it all even.

20200603_160629 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Oh boy, started the cowl a couple of days ago. I can already tell this is going to be fun...

After a bit of sanding and trimming this is about the best I can get the halves nested behind the spinner. The flanges of the top don't extend down far enough and I can't bring them together anymore as the spinner area would no longer be round. Looks like I have some flox jobs in store for the future.
Don't forget that your spinner is actually a larger diameter than that backplate. You may be exactly where you want to be.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 06-04-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flion View Post
Don't forget that your spinner is actually a larger diameter than that backplate. You may be exactly where you want to be.
Ya height wise it looks great. I am thinking the forward part of the cowls will need "leveled" with the spinner. In other words, the cowl doesn't seems to be parallel with the spinner back plate. Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-04-2020, 11:38 PM

Cowl work continues. I feel like I made good progress today. I think I am so motivated because I just want to get the cowl done and over with, it's not that I hate fiberglass, I just don't like it.

First up today, finish the oil door cutout and install the hinge.

20200604_100037 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here it is with the door and hardware temporarily attached. I rounded the corners of the door after this picture. I will blend this area into the cowl with micro to get a nice even gap around the door.

20200604_105029 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then I was on to getting these attach plates drilled. I had to cut the aft part of the cowl where the exhaust exits. I cut it flush with the sides of the cowl. The plans don't really detail what do with this area but it looks flush in the drawings. (the forward one goes on top of the cowl bottom but I just used it as a drilling template)

20200604_115841 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next up was to start on the cowl louvers. Holy tomolly that core was a bit tough to get out of there. I ended up using my dremel sawmax, a belt sander, a die grinder, and a power grinder. Tip: the power grinder worked the best.

20200604_122651 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then I laid up four layers of 9 oz fiberglass just like the plans say to do.

20200604_141926 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next was the inlet ramps. Once again you are given no dimensions or good way of knowing where they go. You just have to position them in an area that feels right; you know... be the air. haha

20200604_154148 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After putting the cowl back on the fuse so the inlet ramp bonds could properly cure in the right orientation I layed up 5 layers of fiberglass in a small little patch on top of some packing tape. These will be hinge pin covers. Although I'm not entirely sure on what shape I'm going with yet...

20200604_194325 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I'm getting closer to really spending some time finishing this thing with lots of sanding and TLC.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Looking good!

You are making such great progress.... Keep it up and you will be flying in no time. Is the bottom cowl with the metal parts stock / plans now? is that a change with the new mount? I do not remember it looking that way on the older 7
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:51 AM

So Jereme - Great progress!
What?s your gut feel for first flight of this bird?
Old 06-05-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
You are making such great progress.... Keep it up and you will be flying in no time. Is the bottom cowl with the metal parts stock / plans now? is that a change with the new mount? I do not remember it looking that way on the older 7
Yep looks like they made the change with the new nose gear. They also don't use hinges anymore on the bottom of the cowl. However, I already had mine riveted and sealed so I am sticking to them. Someone at Van's told me the reason they changed here was that pulling the center pins might be a pain with the new nose gear. I found there is plenty of room though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHerzTX87 View Post
So Jereme - Great progress!
What?s your gut feel for first flight of this bird?
I would guess 4-6 months if everything goes to plan. I don't think it will be the time holding me back but rather the funds. I still have to buy a few expensive avionics items like the EFIS. I am also back into flying to get current which eats up some cash too. My goal for sure is before 2020 is up.