What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yaw Damper

I asked about this, and (having not built my 8 yet) it seemed like the consensus was that a 3-axis autopilot wasn't really feasible. I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts though.

I also have it installed in my 10 and found it useful not when I have passengers in the back for better comfort of them. I think in any two seater it may be an overkill since you sit on the spar, not behind it, so not as much yaw effect.

My 14 night and day difference on vs off. In Florida turbulence very good to have, ask my wife.

Have one on my -10 but not my -8. Not necessary on -8.
I would think the -8 and -10 both being a two row longer fuselage would benefit similarly from a yaw damper. Having flown in neither, I have no way of knowing what the back seat experience is like. I’m curious why many say the same thing about the -8 not benefiting from a yaw damper.

I would also be interested. Just because it’s not necessary doesn’t mean you can’t have it. It’s also not necessary to have autopilot at all, or a glass cockpit!

I know in some very rough weather days with severe turbulence to where I need to cruise at 95 knots it would definitely help.

Flying a short body F33 bonanza with YD makes a huge difference the ball stays centered most of the time without rudder input.

Maybe @g3xpert might have some thoughts? I've seen old threads asking them about the RV-8, maybe they've done some analysis even if nothing came to market?

Back