What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring runs, and main spar

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm mapping out all the wiring runs, and am unsure that the four holes in the main spar get the job done.
One will be for the aft battery cable, and maybe a few smaller ones with it.
I have static, pitot, and AOA 1/4 tubing to run forward.
There are two com antenna cables, plus one GPS, and one transponder.
Then all the usual other cables for lighting and everything.

Anyone with a full load of tubes and cables run into trouble at the main spar?

There are holes under the armrests on each side that go aft. What have they been used for? Are the wires there conspicuous? - they aren't covered by panels fully.

A lot of the old threads have lost their pictures with time and the VAF upgrade.

The largest connector that went through these spar holes are the RG400 connectors for the transponder, comm antenna, and ADSB transmitter antenna. I also route the various lighting cables, servo cables, etc through these holes. Depending on how you dress and ziptie the wire bundles, they can be inconspicuous from the pilot perspective. I also find out the more inconspicuous you make them, they will be more difficult to route in order to make them hidden.
I think I went through 3 different configurations before I call it done, mostly from fatigue rather than perfect. Most of the wires are small but just make sure you make allowance for the RG400 connectors.

Aft mounted dual batteries here grounded locally. Power wires ran through mid longerons. Everything else thought the floor. All my spar pass throughs are full. Pitot & static under and across floor. Power wires can be seen on both sides at the transition from center to forward section.
Good luck!

Attachments

• 20190603_105231.jpg
    20190603_105231.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190603_105247.jpg
    20190603_105247.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190603_105222.jpg
    20190603_105222.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200115_221430.jpg
    IMG_20200115_221430.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
I’m running all those wires in our Rocket project right now - basically the same thing, except that the wing spars go all the way to the center, so we don;t have grommet holes in the spar web.

Nevertheless, as my RV-8 has aged, the spots under the canopy rails have proven to be excellent for adding wires. Put the in wire loom material or snakeskin, use some good wire-tie attachments, and no one will ever know they aren’t supposed to be that way.

The largest connector that went through these spar holes are the RG400 connectors for the transponder, comm antenna, and ADSB transmitter antenna. I also route the various lighting cables, servo cables, etc through these holes. Depending on how you dress and ziptie the wire bundles, they can be inconspicuous from the pilot perspective. I also find out the more inconspicuous you make them, they will be more difficult to route in order to make them hidden.
I think I went through 3 different configurations before I call it done, mostly from fatigue rather than perfect. Most of the wires are small but just make sure you make allowance for the RG400 connectors.
I'll be terminating the antenna wires after I route the cable so this is less of a concern for me.

Aft mounted dual batteries here grounded locally. Power wires ran through mid longerons. Everything else thought the floor. All my spar pass throughs are full. Pitot & static under and across floor. Power wires can be seen on both sides at the transition from center to forward section.
Good luck!
This is very good work in the photos. I'd love to see all the interior pics you have. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Back