What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you place the Experimental placards.

togaflyer

Well Known Member
We are getting ready to get a bunch of interior parts hydro printed in a carbon fiber pattern. This includes the rear bulkhead. I have seen some 10's have "Experimental" placed on the rear bulkhead. Does this meet the FAA requirements, or is the placarding still required at the door entrances. How are your -10s placarded. I have the passenger advisory engraved on the instrument panel.

Last edited:
I believe it's required near entrances. So yes, near or on the doors. Lots of people put them on the top of the door, inside, upside down, so they show right side up when the door is open. I put one on the back panel, too. Wasn't sure if an inspector would count the baggage door as an entrance.

Pax advisory on the panel, "Experimental" on the rear bulkhead. No issues getting my AWC from the Washington DC FSDO.

Part "45.23(b) ...........the operator must also display on that aircraft near each entrance to the cabin, cockpit, or pilot station, in letters not less than 2" nor more than 6" high, the words ........"experimental"......as applicable."

The accepted interpretation is that it must be obvious to anyone entering the cockpit/cabin.

Mine is on the bottom of the glare shield. With the canopy open it's staring you in the face while boarding.
Of course, now, because of the age of the RV-6, I could remove it and add an "X" to the "N" number. But I won't!

Last edited:
Having dealt with the FAA with this in the context of S-LSA RV-12's (which requires a LIGHT SPORT placard instead of EXPERIMENTAL, but the display requirements are the same), I can tell you that the official (legal department) interpretation of the "near the entrence" requirement is that it must be fullyvisible to anyone entering the aircraft through any entrance.
If one location meets that requirement, then one location is enough.
On an RV-10, depending on how high on the baggage bulkhead it is, it may have an influence on it being visible to someone taking a seat in the front seats.
Even located up high some DAR's may not agree that it is fully visible unless someone is taking one of the aft seats.

Bottom line is just because you have seen it on some airplanes doesn't mean all DAR's would agree that it meets the requirements.
Even if you believe your chosen location will meet this requirement, it might be worthwhile to make sure your inspector agrees with you.

I've seen some folks (on -7s and -9s) place it quite low on the baggage bulkhead, but I like it high and proud. Shout from the mountain top you've built an Experimental! Mounting it low doesn't seem to meet the requirement, IMO.

Scott hit the nail on the head. I recommend talking to Fsdo or your darmthree to four months in advance of you inspection. This gives you plenty of time to discuss the process and their interpretation of the rules.

My experimental placard is on the baggage bulkhead of my RV-10 and is visible to all occupants. There is an additional placard on the panel.

My FSDO inspector asked about all placards in advance, their text, and and where they are located before coming out. We also discussed the process and what he would specifically do when he arrived on site. Additionally, he sent me all documentation in advance and had me proof read it.

It was a very stress free and enjoyable process. No surprises and I knew what to expect. I wish that all the Fsdo offices had such experimental friendly staff.

I had step off pads made up by a company named board pushers.com I put experimental down the middle with N789KD and RV9A at the top. They can make the pads to your design, colors, & lettering. The company make state board covers but the blank is rectangular and it works out great

Thanks for the input. I plan go with the wording high on the bulkhead and plan for ones at the doors if it is a required item for the inspection approval.

2KrdS8eh.jpg

Back