What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (November 4-5, 2023)?

It wasn't this weekend but there was a Boy Scout troop that was working on their Aviation Merit Badge. I gave them a tour of my RV8 and explained the building process to them. They were nice enough to send me this picture. They are a great bunch of kids. They will also tour the maintenance school at our airport.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 223
Visit Mom and Mother-in-Law

It is a beautiful fall weekend in the upper Midwest, and that led to trips to see my Mom and my MIL. Both had "Pete fix it lists"

First trip was Thursday down to South Bend to see Mom. Fixed her stuff and had a nice lunch of Greek food!

Foggy sunrise over the St Croix after an early launch.
ADCreHcQtbzC6hs0YRpGMVUB-gp-9lHLGM42Mh0BscWGYp70stMVxXGPRc0OhfT7rlk-ZQgzbnT_zNDrwkqIMvWkdo5ju0o7RLqZJceBoobAeA78Ms9bP76gUzAh_KNU373BcJu80-yBJyHIq3eA2j1UlasGng=w1200

Nice sunset over the Mississippi on the way home.
ADCreHemN4soUobQcSvQS6-1dPWx-2DC065zhWemoFrtdCl4e3JBfD6uIdX5wsOKqYAXGczPniwSr6ZihzmwiFTDb07G-qsn9NaFJd5uvBVeGhkSOnhzJakztUiN4CRKiKxVz4vKz4GwoGe8UkUIEikkkGhZsA=w1200

Friday was time to head down to Iowa. Got the list done, and bonus that it was homecoming in Ames, my older daughter was in from San Fran, and we got to see many friends from college.

A nice sunset over the haze and a Bravo clearance right over downtown Minnie on the trip home capped an over 1200nm RV weekend!

ADCreHfxABs71wqi9F4O_As7liy_NSIqTr89Luw8uFhc4qJEVXuGcVp3ZiWzKQNc4QM1wmgIVSxKA2VhmkBOWqjo669HqPxzjya2LZNXv48jUM9AW05AzEdMVrP2KfZeXusb1DUVGo-yXtBEZD8tTK_lwbP2Mg=w1200

ADCreHfqCoZ-iv_Eu4-VjM-t_V1WJsszff2JjzQ-uEa5uU4fMv9Dm14avT3QNgkdvGv9djfcOvaEJPI7PxeCUNKY6-Bwx3e_7Trg_nCic2jMbgjvRJeWPPaK8wO4Cg76XXKu4hQ_IxRyASqk5hZrNwz-LlzGbg=w1200

Some beautiful views of Sedona, AZ.

Attachments

• IMG_5739.jpg
    IMG_5739.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5742.jpg
    IMG_5742.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5743.jpg
    IMG_5743.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 97
More of Sedona.

Attachments

• IMG_5744.jpg
    IMG_5744.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5746.jpg
    IMG_5746.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5747.jpg
    IMG_5747.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 86
Santa Barbara

Flew up the coast with my son. Cruised over Malibu coast at 2500'. The sun was behind on the way back and made some great photos of the area.

When I left Santa Barbara, I accelerated in ground effect until my climb speed was 120 kts (at 100' agl) and tried to fly along the UCSB shore line. I got the call from tower, "RV, fly runway heading" Oh well so much for buzzing over the water around UCSB.

This may be a different thread, but I always seem to be confusing approach control. On this trip, flight following had me contact tower 15 miles out, while I was still doing 150 kts. Tower gave me landing instructions. But when I was, like, 3 miles out, I had slowed to 70 kts. Tower then had me do a 360 for spacing (with flaps extended, in final approach configuration). It seems I get this kind of change a lot lately. I guess controllers are not expecting to see a plane come in at 150 kts and then slow down to 70 kts on short final.

Attachments

• IMG_4420.jpg
    IMG_4420.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4417.jpg
    IMG_4417.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5570.jpg
    IMG_5570.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Yesterday we flew out to Hemet and had the privilege of inspecting a very nice RV-14A that should be ready for first flight in 6 months.
Today we flew to Santa Paula for their First Sunday event:

At SZP.jpg

After breakfast we walked back to the plane and found this Starduster parked near:

Startduster.jpg

It was only after I looked at the data plate that I realized this was Rod Bowers Starduster! Too cool!

-Marc

Completed days 3 and 4 of KELLI GIRL's vinyl UNwrap, in prep for her new paint job at GLO Custom Paint. Same basic scheme, just in paint.

BTW, I'm sorry these show up turned on their sides. Clicking each image shows them right-side up.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 221
shudder on Takeoff?

I thought I was getting some shudder so I mounted the camera under the wing. Looks like no shudder at least on this take off! I had planned to go up to northern Michigan but the weather was not good enough for me. Too much mist and cold made it not worth it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McbTPQplRy4

Rode my motorcycle with some friends this morning. 130 miles later, back home in time for lunch with my wife.

A little later, headed to the airport and tinkered with the RV a little. After finishing up, headed out for a coastal flight as sunset approached.

30 minutes of flying.. and put the airplane back in the hangar and headed home.

Attachments

• IMG_9599.jpeg
    IMG_9599.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9598.jpeg
    IMG_9598.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 102
Biannual flight review completed. My CFI is a non-Experimental GA pilot so good to educate him on the latest at least once every 2 years.

Good to get it done early in the month as with holiday travel and potential unfavorable weather at the end of November I am glad it is done. I always fret a bit whe biannual becomes due since I do not have anybody I know that is a CFI and has RV time to satisfy my insurance. So if I go past my biannual due date and therefore can’t be POC, I don’t have insurance. I used to carry a CFI on my insurance but he no longer has a medical.

Completed days 3 and 4 of KELLI GIRL's vinyl UNwrap, in prep for her new paint job at GLO Custom Paint. Same basic scheme, just in paint.

It would be interesting to hear about your experience "unwrapping" an aircraft - was it hard to remove? I know DanH mentioned on trailers it can be very hard to get off if it gets too old.

It would be interesting to hear about your experience "unwrapping" an aircraft - was it hard to remove? I know DanH mentioned on trailers it can be very hard to get off if it gets too old.

It's not easy, particularly on the control surfaces. The wrapper had overlapped the vinyl film around the edges of each surface (ailerons, elevator, etc.) calling for some meticulous bit-n-piece removal. The larger surfaces come off about .69 ft/sq per big tug. Heat gun required.

Once it's off I've got to attack all the residual glue: I ordered 2 gallons or RapidTac Rapid Remover, which is supposed to be good at removing vinyl film adhesive, then wash off to not impede primer and paint adhesion.

Cool pic after a night flight

Pulled up next to the hangar door after a night flight and saw this.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 98
Some formation flying with my buddy in his Cozy MK IV.

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    514 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00043.jpg
    DSC00043.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5392.JPEG
    IMG_5392.JPEG
    309.5 KB · Views: 63
Bravo Busters Visit 7b6 & KRDG

This Saturday we had 8 local RVators visit Skylark Airport (7b6) for an EAA breakfast and then continue on to Reading (KRDG) to visit the Mid Atlantic Aviation Museum

Skylark Airpark has a nice funky Art Deco terminal building and a more than welcoming EAA chapter. The Mid Atlantic Aviation Museum houses a treasure of unique aircraft.

The only thing I like more than flying my RV is flying with my RV friends. Saturday was the day!

Attachments

• Skylark.jpg
    Skylark.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 107
  • KRDG.jpg
    KRDG.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 122
My son and I (and Snoopy, of course) flew up the Orange County coastline to do some sightseeing. There's never a shortage of things to see.

On this particular day, we saw the boats in Dana Point Harbor, surfers along Laguna and Newport, the beach volleyball (at least I think that's what it was) along Huntington Beach, the cruise ships and battleship Iowa in Long Beach harbor, the Goodyear blimp moored in Carson, a formation of airplanes launching out of LGB, and then stopped for lunch at Hawthorne Airport. They're always so nice to us there.

After lunch at Eureka! and watching some neat planes come and go, we set a 16 minute record flying back to Corona, with my 8 year old doing almost all the flying.

Now he's requesting brakes on the right side of the airplane, even though he can't reach the pedals yet. #kidsthesedays

https://youtu.be/N7GVdqYl210

--Ron

Yesterday we flew out to Hemet and had the privilege of inspecting a very nice RV-14A that should be ready for first flight in 6 months.
Today we flew to Santa Paula for their First Sunday event:

View attachment 50648

After breakfast we walked back to the plane and found this Starduster parked near:

View attachment 50649

It was only after I looked at the data plate that I realized this was Rod Bowers Starduster! Too cool!

-Marc

That's pretty cool. My hangar is right next door to Rod's. I have a pretty vivid memory of Rod building this airplane when I was a little kid running around the airport in Porterville. I am pretty sure he did the final construction in the Porterville Aviation hangar. I would later go on to work for PA and start my professional career right where I grew up. Hasn't been the same since Rod's passing. I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to know him. Our hangar row just isn't the same without some that have passed on in the last few years.

Last edited:
6-Ship High School Flyover

The aerobatic stuff is a lot of fun, but so is the the formation stuff! I haven't been doing as much formation recently because of all the contests and practicing. But this weekend I got to lead a 6-ship formation for a high school girls' flag football game. My neighbor who's been hearing all about my flying for the past 16 years is the girls' coach. He asked if we could do a flyby as our group is constantly buzzing the sky around the south Atlanta metro area.

It was a blast! It's even better when you get to do it with your best friends.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qb9xhaVkrRU

Yes, I need to get a smoke system!

Sports game fly-over!

This weekend I got to lead a 6-ship formation for a high school girls' flag football game. My neighbor who's been hearing all about my flying for the past 16 years is the girls' coach. He asked if we could do a flyby as our group is constantly buzzing the sky around the south Atlanta metro area. It was a blast! It's even better when you get to do it with your best friends.

Pretty cool! Great formation! Good plug for aviation as well!

Yes, I need to get a smoke system!

Well, maybe! It looked pretty cool with you in the lead without smoke!! :cool:

Back