What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want to build an electric plane mover (tug?) for my RV10

andrewfranke

I'm New Here
I sold my last plane (a cherokee six) three years ago and recently finished my RV10 (man what a plane!). I was quickly reminded of the herniated disc in my lower back when I started moving a plane in and out of the hanger again.

I know there are a lot of commercially available electric tugs out there that look great, but the costs are more than I'm willing to pay. My bank account was able to finish my plane, but I'd rather use what's left for fuel than a fancy tug. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has rolled their own? We are builders right? :D

I purchased three retired grocery store electric shopping carts that I can use some parts from but wanted to see if anyone else out there has something cool they would like to share. I'll likely build something soon and happy to share what I build as well.

Thanks!
Happy 2024!!!
Andrew

I sold my last plane (a cherokee six) three years ago and recently finished my RV10 (man what a plane!). I was quickly reminded of the herniated disc in my lower back when I started moving a plane in and out of the hanger again.

I know there are a lot of commercially available electric tugs out there that look great, but the costs are more than I'm willing to pay. My bank account was able to finish my plane, but I'd rather use what's left for fuel than a fancy tug. So I'm wondering if anyone out there has rolled their own? We are builders right? :D

I purchased three retired grocery store electric shopping carts that I can use some parts from but wanted to see if anyone else out there has something cool they would like to share. I'll likely build something soon and happy to share what I build as well.

Thanks!
Happy 2024!!!
Andrew
Some of the best best money I even spent was buying used golf cart and putting tow hitches on it. My tug is not a single use tool; but a capable runaround for the airport as well.

Protect that back (L4/5 x2 myself). Get a tug. Save money elsewhere.

I bought an old Craftsman riding mower without the mower deck for $150. Has a hole on the back for mounting a hitch. Maybe you could find something similar.
danny

Some of the best best money I even spent was buying used golf cart and putting tow hitches on it. My tug is not a single use tool; but a capable runaround for the airport as well.

Since it's so easy to post pics now...

Tug.jpg

My needs are complicated by the need for a tug that will haul my airplane on bare asphalt as well as snow and glare ice. There are a lot of gonzo/Dogpatch solutions to tugs out there and I've tried several of them over the years. Finally, out of frustration, I bought at Best Tug Alpha2 (you'd want the Alpha 3 for your RV-10 I'm guessing). Buying that well-engineered and well-built tug solved all of my frustrations.

I have wanted to build a tug for a while. My friend uses a lawn tractor, as I will for the 9A. The 4 is a little more difficult. My hangar is downhill a bit from the runway surface and nothing to push on, on it. I was donated an old electric wheel chair. I have only got so far as to strip the seat off of it, leaving the base, motors, wheels but I think it will work. I have the tailwheel axle from flyboyaccessories to connect to with mods to the wheelchair base. Your 10 being so big, I would think the lawn tractor is your best option. I don't know how much mass or "oomph" the electric grocery carts drive system have.

Thanks!
Happy 2024!!!
Andrew
Can you just use one of the shopping carts as is, adding a tow bar?

One of multiple threads on building your own electric tug:

When I was in a hangar with a sloped floor, I taxiied the RV-9A into the hangar. It was easy to push out, downhill. As I got proficient, I could park with an offset no more than six inches from desired centerline. Of course, I had plenty of wingtip clearance.
Your mileage will undoubtedly vary...

This was my simple solution for a tug. I found a slightly used wheel chair on Craigslist and removed the seat. And with two 12 volt linear actuators off eBay and some aluminum angle and square tubing built this tug. All the directional controls (joy stick) are from the original wheel chair and two toggle switches were added to control the tow bar. It would be easy to extend the tow bar and make it for nose wheels aircraft.

Chuck Brietigam
RX-6XXL

DSCN1331.jpeg

I bought an old Craftsman riding mower without the mower deck for $150. Has a hole on the back for mounting a hitch. Maybe you could find something similar.
danny
Buddy and I built a lawnmower race cart once. Yep. Its a thing. Almost too much fun. One of those "hold my beer and watch this" things. I like the retired handicap cart idea.
Side note. A family member passed long ago. He had a really nice mobility chair. We couldn't give it away. Even Goodwill didn't want it. Wish I had kept it now.

This is one I built for the RV6A. some have modified this for the RV-10.

Plans info are available through the provided links.

Absolutely the best thing I built last year. Maybe a little over the top...fingertip joystick control and a regenerative motor controller. I have components for a couple more. Anybody want one?
Not only yes, but hell yes! Put me on the list. Plans, parts or complete build!

Absolutely the best thing I built last year. Maybe a little over the top...fingertip joystick control and a regenerative motor controller. I have components for a couple more. Anybody want one?

Wow, very nice! Can you provide parts list, I would build one. Knowing what kind of motors/gear box, motor controller, and joystick you got would be a big help. Of course, if you have CAD of the metal parts, that would make thing even better!

I’d be interested in a parts kit with plans. I can build stuff but not much of a fabricator

I built this after seeing a friend’s tug. It’s still in the prototype stage and needs to be finished. It works well although backing up a nose wheel RV takes some practice.
IMG_2988.jpegIMG_2989.jpeg

Dan, I’m looking for one like this also! Looks like a great project.
I would buy one for nosewheel.
Based on responses, I think you have a market. Build it for PC680 batteries and we have a second life fir retired batteries!

This is one I built for the RV6A. some have modified this for the RV-10.

Plans info are available through the provided links.

Hi Dan

This look fantastic. I am curious though why you chose to use the nose wheels bolt/nut to attach to rather than the more forward tow bar lugs. I'm guessing experimentation suggested this location gave better control?

Thanks.

Michael B.

C-FWMB
RV-9A

Hi Dan

This look fantastic. I am curious though why you chose to use the nose wheels bolt/nut to attach to rather than the more forward tow bar lugs. I'm guessing experimentation suggested this location gave better control?

Thanks.

Michael B.

C-FWMB
RV-9A
The RV- 6A is different than the -9. The nose wheel on the -6A uses the axle points for the tow bar.

I have an article on building a tug coming out in the April issue of Kitplanes, which comes out 3/13. Pictures in the previous post (Learning the new picture process and accidentally sent them out first). Article includes all details for building, including parts list with links to parts sources. Control includes a linear actuator for gripping/releasing plane attachment, twist throttle, reversing control, battery voltage monitor.

Reinhard M.

Buddy and I built a lawnmower race cart once. Yep. Its a thing. Almost too much fun. One of those "hold my beer and watch this" things. I like the retired handicap cart idea.
Side note. A family member passed long ago. He had a really nice mobility chair. We couldn't give it away. Even Goodwill didn't want it. Wish I had kept it now.
Funny. Was it very fast? Mine has six speeds...from slow to slowest.
I have a taildragger and can pull it outside before the tractor is in gear. And did I mention it's slow?

I have an article on building a tug coming out in the April issue of Kitplanes, which comes out 3/13. Pictures in the previous post (Learning the new picture process and accidentally sent them out first). Article includes all details for building, including parts list with links to parts sources. Control includes a linear actuator for gripping/releasing plane attachment, twist throttle, reversing control, battery voltage monitor.

Reinhard M.
Does your "tug" have differential steering or is it "skid" steer - thank you.
One more - is your "controller" custom or "off the shelf"?

HFS

Last edited:

HFS

Hi Dave. It has differential steering, left/right/forward/backward, by joystick. The controller is an off the shelf 60A Sabertooth, which offers custom stick response programming in all four directions.

"maybe a little over the top" !!?? When has that ever been attributed to you. :)

Hey, got any spare plutonium ?

HFS
The motor drive unit is an integrated motor/axle that includes a differential. In addition, the plane engaging fork section is on a pivot with a pin so it can be locked straight or pivot. I use it in pivot mode to pull the plane out and locked to push straight back in. Of course, it can be in pivot mode for pushing as well - just takes a bit of practice, like pushing a shopping cart backwards! It has a ton of power, and in top speed can drag your butt across the tarmac with vigor! The motor/drive axle assembly is from the wheelchair/small cart market and is readily available. The controller is a 50 amp unit also readily available on Amazon, as is the wrist-twist throttle control, which works directly with the controller, also from the eBike market, and is cheap! All parts are pretty much Amazon/McMaster/Harbor Freight/hardware store, except the axle, which is either eBay or AliBaba. My total cost was about $400, and the article will detail all of it.

Reinhard

All right, I just ordered six sets of the laser cut parts (yeah, yeah, 1/4" mild steel, no problem), and I'll see about putting together a component list and some plans. Watch this space.
I want one!! I would prefer the powder coat to be more of a Crimson color though ;)

Suggested company name - Hortons Haulers

danny
I did both. First was an old "Montgomery Ward" riding mower I got for $100, added a tow hitch and some lights. It worked so well another pilot offered me $900 for it so I sold it.
Plane and Tug.jpg

Then I bought an old EZ-Go golf cart for $750 and did the same.
34 Using the tug.jpg

These are best tugs I have ever had for my airplane. Significantly cheaper than other commercial tugs and a fun, easy airport project.

Back