What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Virginia ferry pilot's plane found in NM

I was one of the last crews to leave Carlsbad, and our mission was to check the area between the TX/NM border and Pecos. When we finished up our grid search, we could easily see Pecos. There were a lot of oil wells and oil service personnel driving all over the area. It would have been difficult for an aircraft to go down around that area and not be seen.

Bob

search grid

We flew the super cub at 60 kts, down in the valleys and around the peaks sometimes loooking up at the ridges from below. I wouldnt want to do that in a skyhawk. Its difficult to spot anything that goes under the tree line or burries up in the leaves from higher up when there are deep ravines and valleys. I was wondering now that CAP has pulled out of the search couldnt the local folks be allowed to share the data from the search so as to keep looking? Back in olden days gone by CAP used to embrace local pilots with their own planes and would include them in the search if possible. Just a thought..

Is There Any News?

What became of the guy ferrying the RV-6 across Texas? Any news? Can't remember a light plane going missing for this length of time in West Texas????

No news

There is no news to provide right now. Local folks are planning some further ground and air searches in/over the high probability area of Guadalupe Mountain NP in the near future.

This has been an eye opening incident for me. Heck, this is 2007, we have GPS, cell phones, eye's in the sky, satilites, glass panels, ELT's, ect. I always just assumed if I went down they would be able to find me in minutes, not months.

Flight following is looking better all the time.

Last edited:
Geico266 said:
This has been an eye opening incident for me. Heck, this is 2007, we have GPS, cell phones, eye's in the sky, satilites, glass panels, ELT's, ect. I always just assumed if I went down they would be able to find me in minutes, not months.

The earth is still a very big place. And airplanes are still really small. And crumpled up airplanes are even smaller.....and yes, this is a very sobering thing to realize. I was out in the Carlsbad/Guadalupes area with the local RV'ers this weekend, and while we were in a different part of the range, I can see how a wreck could go unfound for a long time in some spots. I know there are many people that are going to keep on looking.

Paul

With RV's altitude performance, it makes sense to fly high in the mountains. Gives you better radio reception for a mayday, more time to think and run your checklists and more options to find a better place to set it down safely if nothing else gets the engine running. Invest in O2 if you fly here.

Before you start your trip over terrain like this, stop and think how much your day will be ruined if the engine quits over trees and rocks. Staying close to roads may only add a few minutes to your trip.

It is interesting to read the TAC used aircraft reviews where they look at accident causes historically. Depending on the model, 5-12% of accidents are caused by power loss. Much higher than many people think.

Flight over the rocks leaves you very few options if the prop stops. There are some who advocate popping off the ELT immediately if the engine stops.

Do you have survival gear onboard when making trips over inhospitable terrain? Sad is some instances where people have survived the forced landing and perished because they had no equipment, food or water.

Just food for thought. I hope pilots continue the search.

If you have time, that's a great idea!

"Flight over the rocks leaves you very few options if the prop stops. There are some who advocate popping off the ELT immediately if the engine stops."

I also think it's reason to have a GPS enabled "Personal Locating" device in the plane, handy and ready to go. If I have the altitude, I'd like to think I will have it together enough to pop the button on the way down.

Geico266 said:

Flight following is looking better all the time.
Heck, there's been recent news of finding two accidents in the last month...one from the early 80's, and one from the 60's!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Very sobering.

What mysteries are those

cjensen said:
Heck, there's been recent news of finding two accidents in the last month...one from the early 80's, and one from the 60's!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Very sobering.
CJ which two planes where found?

Rockies, folks have mentioned. I thought he was in the pan handle of the Lone Star State. Pretty flat there. Still its lots of land and a little plane. Clearly a 406 ELT (working) would have solved the problem. Even a old tech ELT would probably helped. Clearly it did not activate.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Rockies, folks have mentioned. I thought he was in the pan handle of the Lone Star State. Pretty flat there.
George, this loss was most likely in the area of Guadalupe Mountains National Park. The terrain in this area varies from around 4,000 to 8,700 MSL. There are deep and rugged canyons and heavily wooded areas.

Suspicious photo

We are still working on this. A suspicious area has turned up on a photograph. It is likely that Guadalupe Mountains National Park will send out a hiker, in the near future, to check the area. It will be a round trip hike of 16 to 20 miles.

This area can not be well checked by fixed wing aircraft because it is in a box canyon with much higher terrain in the near vicinity.

gmcjetpilot said:
CJ which two planes where found?
Sorry George, I just now caught this. I'll see if I can dig up the AeroNews articles on these two. They were found this year (I think...), so I'll take a look thru the archives to see if I can find 'em.

On the subject...let's hope that photograph turns up something...

QuickBird Satellite

Albuquerque RV owner Mel Towner and Tom Bemis have been working together on QuickBird Satellite imagery. Computer analysis and the imagery have been donated by companies. Where the computer flags a spot they have been comparing recent images to older ones.

They have developed several locations that need checking, but our weather is not suitable this weekend.

Thanks for the updates Larry - and thanks to all of you out there for the persistence that you are showing in keeping the search going. I know it means a lot to the family.

Weather isn't much better anywhere across Texas this weekend either....

Paul

My view

When flying over desolate/mountainous terrain I am 16,500' going west and 15,500'/17,500' going east. I have a GPS enabled 406 MHz PLB and use flight following (no flight plan).

Last week I diverted from going over the mountains (Colorado Rockies) because of lenticulars and other cloud buildups in the distance. 50-60 kt winds at the Guadalupes probably would have been a barrier as well.

NTSB Preliminary is out

For those who had been following this thread thought you might be interested in seeing the official report from NTSB.

Thanks again to Larry and Louise for their efforts at keeping all of us back in Virginia updated on the search for our friend, Jim.

NTSB Identification: DFW07FAMS1
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, February 28, 2007 in Pine Springs, TX
Aircraft: Ingraham RV-6, registration: N320TX
Injuries: 1 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On February 28, 2007, at approximately 1623 central standard time (CST), a single-engine Ingraham RV-6 experimental airplane, N320TX, presumably collided with mountainous terrain, within the Guadalupe Mountains National Park, near Pine Springs, Texas. The airline transport rated pilot, sole occupant of the airplane, is missing and presumed deceased, and the airplane was presumed destroyed. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and a flight plan was not filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal cross-country flight. The cross-country flight originated near Tehachapi, California, at time unknown.

Reportedly, a buyer had recently purchased the airplane and the pilot was ferrying the airplane from California to the new owners residence in Virginia. Concerned family members reported the airplane was overdue/missing. The Federal Aviation Administration issued an Alert Notice (ALNOT) for the missing airplane and the Civil Air Patrol initiated an air search. As many as 21 aircraft participated in the aerial search encompassing parts of Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma. Despite the expanded aerial and ground searches, the airplane and pilot were not located.

A preliminary review of radar information that the last radar return on the airplane occurred at 1623 CST, at an altitude of 7,400 feet and at the coordinates of 32 00.39 N, 104 55.04 W.

No distress calls were received from the pilot and there was no reported communications between the pilot and any air traffic control facility in the area.

At 1651, the automated weather observation system at Guadalupe Pass, Texas, reported winds from 250 degrees at 53 knots gusting to 65 knots, 6 miles visibility in haze, a clear sky, temperature 61 degrees Fahrenheit, dew point minus 7 degrees Fahrenheit, and an altimeter setting of 29.54 inches of Mercury.

Airplane has been found

Recently Governor Richardson authorized a search by New Mexico State Police personnel. The search was planned for yesterday 7/2/07. A helicopter pilot from that search has verified that the airplane has been found and that the N number is visible.

Recently the NTSB developed some models based on better radar data. I'm guessing that the wreckage must have been close to where the models predicted, but I don't have any more information. The models predicted that the airplane would be found near a ballistic arc from the last transponder return, not the four supposed primary target hits that a lot of searching had been done on the basis of. There came to be some evidence that those four primary returns were anomalous.

My condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Willess.

Good/Bad News!

Thanks for letting us know Larry - as always, it's great news that there is some closure, and bad news that someone was lost. I'm sure you'll have some more details when you get them.

Paul

Thank You Larry

Larry,

On behalf of the local gang at W66 (Jim's old airport) in Warrenton, VA thanks for keeping us informed on this one. At least his family can finally hope to have some closure. I've sent a private e-mail with a copy of your posting to local pilots and friend's of Jim.

Thank you,

Rob

update

Thanks for the update Larry.
The RV community is great and you are a shinning example of why it is.
Lots of us here in Virginia were wondering about what happened. I'm amazed the effort continued at all, but very glad it did for the family's sake if not for all of us. Do you think this will be the end of it? or will more info about the crash surface. I'm hoping NTSB will do a follow up.
Thanks again Larry for your continued efforts to keep the rest of us informed.
Regards,

Bob Martin said:
...I'm amazed the effort continued at all, but very glad it did for the family's sake if not for all of us. Do you think this will be the end of it? or will more info about the crash surface. I'm hoping NTSB will do a follow up.
Thanks again Larry for your continued efforts to keep the rest of us informed.
Regards,
I believe it was the family and/or friends that persuaded the governor to do the search yesterday. The NTSB went to a lot of trouble ferreting out new information that contributed to the success of the search and I am sure more facts will come out.

Some more facts

I got some more information today, from what I consider to be a reliable source, but it is nothing official. This information answers several of my questions.

The RV-6 appeared to hit into an uphill slope in very rocky soil in an area of short brush and grass and a very few trees, near the bottom of a canyon. The canyon side in the direction the airplane would have come from is very steep. 95% of the wreckage is within about the area of a tie-down space. All the major parts are there, including the complete wing, bent but with the spar in one piece. Many wing ribs are compressed into an accordion shape. The engine is buried to approximately the accessory case and about half of one blade is extending out of the ground, bent and nicked but intact. All three tail surfaces are there and attached as well as the elevator trim tab.

There are a few light pieces such as parts of a fuel tank as far away as 25 yards up hill. There are other small and light pieces such as thin aluminum and plexiglass as far as 40 yards to the side of the direction of travel.

Where did CAP search?

Can you update us as to where the wreckage was actually found and where CAP had been told to search?

--Ralph SM CAP Mission Scanner

Ralph Kramden said:
Can you update us as to where the wreckage was actually found and where CAP had been told to search?

--Ralph SM CAP Mission Scanner
I am not involved in CAP so don't know where they were told to search. The wreckage was found about 1 and 1/2 miles east of the last transponder return, on a continuation of the previous course. There were thought to be some primary returns going to the southeast. That threw some people off as they were not this airplane and were likely not any airplane.

Now that I don't understand. One and a half miles from the last transponder return, and it takes 4 months to locate? What's up with that? Was the airplane obsured by vegetation?

USUA Club 1 Membership director

Folks,

Please excuse my intrusion into your thread, but I have a few things to say that may help in your understanding of this situation. My name is Phil Williams, and I am the membership director of USUA Flying Club 1. Jim Willess was my friend, flying companion, instructor, share partner, and a lot of other things. I have been in touch with the family since the day this saga started, and traveled to NM to search for Jim Myself.

First let me offer a special thanks to Larry Pardue, who is a member of this RV group. Larry flew countless missions looking for Jim, long after others gave up. He even flew a few at the request of myself and Jim family, and helped answer a lot of questions about the area.

Jim went missing on Feb 28, and by the next day his wife was trying to get a search going. When she was stonewalled in that effort, I personally contacted the NM state police, and the SAR coordinator for NM. Both were unaware of any missing aircraft, but after looking into the matter referred us to the Texas authorities. It took another 2 days to get the Air Force spun up and then subsequently the CAP. By 6 days post crash, the search was stopped, and everyone (except Larry and a few other diehard SAR guys) went home.

As you might imagine this was unacceptable. Over the following days and weeks, those of us that knew Jim and his flying style, scoured every scrap of information we could find. Including the radar data. less than 3 weeks after the incident, Jim's son Justin, and I both were convinced that the radar indication indicating a turn to the south could not be correct, but we could not find an open ear to our position.

During my personal search I was within 1 mile of where the aircraft was finally located last week. I will have to live for a long time with the decisions I made that prevented me from finding Jim, but suffice it to say I was alone in the desert, 30 miles for anything resembling civilization, a long way from any help should I need it, and I opted for personal safety, over the risks of possible injury and becoming the subject of a search myself. Unlike Jim who was incidentally in excellent physical condition, I am not in that great a shape anymore.

About 4 weeks ago, Justin Willess gained access to the radar analysis and trajectory data produced by an NTSB analyst. After examining that data and putting it together with our own thoughts and information, we reached the conclusion that we had been correct all along concerning the validity of the southern radar hits.

Justin provided his mother with the new NTSB radar data, and our analysis, and the information was sent to Governor Richards. Virtually the moment he received her letter he picked up the phone and ordered the search. His office has remained in contact with her from that moment to this, assisting the family with every detail they may require.

The CAP informed me that they flew only two mission along Jim's projected flight path. When I sought particulars, they were clear that they had NOT flown any north to south or south to north patterns below the ridge lines in the Brokeoff mountains, where the plane was found. Larry will verify for you that flying east/west lines you cannot get low enough to see an RV6 in the bottom of a valley. Other than that all the search efforts were focused in Texas.

All of my efforts were focused in NM along the known and projected flight path for a direct route to Midland TX.

Based on some of the comments I have read here I felt it was important to bring this information onto the discussion. The real hero in this is of course Governor Richardson and the NM state police. This however does not in any way diminish the efforts and contributions of the CAP and other SAR teams that conducted search operations. Jim's family is very grateful to all who contributed.

I did see one comment that demands a response. Jim maintained the same medical certification he had as a commercial airline pilot. At this time there is no information that would bring his health into play a a factors in this incident. While that may change, idle speculation on this point serves no positive purpose. The NTSB, and the FAA have stated that they will run an investigation and at this time there is no reason to believe that they will not determine the cause.

As additional information comes available, it will probably be posted on the family sponsored website, but I would be willing to post here as well as there seems to be much interest among this group.

Again, on behalf of the members of USUA Flying Club 1, and Jim Willess's family, thank all of you for your support.

Phil Williams
Director of Membership
USUA Flying Club 1

Back