What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upcoming condition inspection

First annual for my 2023 SLSA RV12is is coming up. Any advice on things or parts to order ahead of time?
It depends on a few things. Are you going to be doing this yourself (assuming you're either an A&P or LSRM)? How many hours on the aircraft and engine?

A very partial initial list:
* Oil change materials - 3+ liters oil, Rotax oil filter, crush washer
* Rotax fuel filter (likely provided with the aircraft)
* Not required, but it'd be a good time to complete SB-00088, so the kit for that, plus some replacement hoses (just in case)

There is also a difference between what is required for the annual condition inspection and what is required for the annual maintenance items.

I recently completed this inspection and maintenance on my 2023 SLSA RV12iS (I do have an LSRM certificate)

Last edited:
#2 Phillips Screwdriver... I always felt that the perfect retirement gift for A&P mechanic would be a gold-plated #2 Phillips Screwdriver

It depends on a few things. Are you going to be doing this yourself (assuming you're either an A&P or LSRM)? How many hours on the aircraft and engine?

* Not required, but it'd be a good time to complete SB-00088, so the kit for that, plus some replacement hoses (just in case)

There is also a difference between what is required for the annual condition inspection and what is required for the annual maintenance items.

I recently completed this inspection and maintenance on my 2023 SLSA RV12iS (I do have an LSRM certificate)
An A&P will be doing it. We have ordered the SB-00088 kit. I have not ordered the replacement hose so I will put that on my list. The aircraft has 135 hours on it.

An A&P will be doing it. We have ordered the SB-00088 kit. I have not ordered the replacement hose so I will put that on my list. The aircraft has 135 hours on it.
With 135 hours, the Rotax 100 hour service should have already been done, which includes oil change, compression checks, downloading data from ECU using the oh so economical (sarcasm) BUDS dongle and replacement of that fuel filter. Check the Rotax 912iS Sport Line Maintenance Manual (MML) section 05-20 for full schedule. Thats available from flyrotax.com I highly recommend ensuring the A&P has Rotax training. They are great engines, but not the same as Lycoming or Continentals.

For the aircraft, it's mostly removing lots of plates and components for inspections, and on the maintenance side lubrications. The Van's maintenance manual has a good list of necessary lubricants in section 1, specifically pages 1-8->1-11. The inspection and maintenance list in section 18 is a great source to look over as well.

One of the benefits of SLSA (and ELSA at least at the beginning), is it's all in the manuals.

And I 100% agree with Jim's suggestion for a good #2 Phillips! The pile of screws removed and reinstalled in and around the fuselage is quite large. Van's folks introduced me to the Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver when I picked up the aircraft. This one: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF682N1-Gyroscopic-Inline-Screwdriver

I hope your A&P has some training on the Rotax 912 because there are some key differences with traditional engines. For example, on traditional engine spark plugs you put some anti seize on the threads but on the Rotax you use heat paste.

Also there are some discrepancies between the Vans docs and the Rotax docs. Always consult the latest Rotax manuals.
For example, in the POH the listed torque for spark plugs in 15 ft lbs. That is correct for the old spark plugs. But you have the new ones. The correct torque for the new spark plugs is 142 in lbs per the Rotax MML.

Last edited:
I hope your A&P has some training on the Rotax 912 because there are some key differences with traditional engines. For example, on traditional engine spark plugs you put some anti seize on the threads but on the Rotax you use heat paste.
This. I would advise them to download the latest Rotax Maintenance Manuals and follow them exactly. The first time I let an A&P touch my engine who wasn’t Rotax-certified, they started media-blasting the spark plugs after they were removed.

Ordered the dewalt screw driver. I’ll take a look and order those lubricants. Thanks!

The airplane is going to a Rotax service center in St George Utah (motive aero).

Anything else on the airframe side of things that I should order?

Okay I retract what I said. I got my Rotax certification through Motive Aero – they definitely know what they’re doing when it comes to those engines, to the point where they’re one of the very few places authorized to perform overhauls on the 912. They’ll have all the Rotax-specific consumables you’d need.

Print out the RV-12-specific annual inspection checklist for them to complete, and it wouldn’t hurt to send them links to the Maintenance Manual and Kit Assembly Instructions.

If you haven’t already, make up a spreadsheet to track the compliance of all the SBs, since it’ll save your A&P a lot of time and effort.

Good choice on service shop. They 100% know Rotax and should do a very good job. Without being certain, I would guess they have worked on quite a few RV12's as well... all should go well. Being a Rotax service center, that's where you'd be buying the Rotax parts and oil from in any case.

WHAT IS SB-00088? Not on the Van's SB website!!

I believe it’s still there. RV12iS (Coolant) Radiator Attachment Modification.
It is an "optional" service bulletin that, as someone that has experienced the radiator failure, I wouldn't recommend performing. My plan is to wait until next failure then replace radiator with the new design. Given that the failure seems to be the result of external forces causing the bottom row of fins to pull away from the frame I believe the forces involved in cutting the radiator frame could instigate the same issue prematurely.

Back