What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix status update

I just got an update email saying I'm up for shipping but they needed my s/n. I had sent the form in without the s/n because i couldn't locate it without tearing the panel apart, even with a borescope. So today I tore into it. It's mounted on the GRT Safefly 2020 module. After disassembling more than I needed to I finally found the s/n on the opposite side from their "where's the s/n" picture. It's tiny and was blocked by the GRT dsub connector. Of course I didn't find that until I had separated the Echo from the Safefly. If you have a Safefly/Echo combo, all you need to remove is the dsub connector if your s/n is not otherwise visible.

I got my altitude unit last week.
Installed mine last week. Went well except a call to uAvonics help me find the device 2 under Advanced setting that had to be changed to 2....All well after that. On first ramp run and checkd the Pressure altitude on the Echo monitor was 600 cycling to 575 while the pressure altitude on GTX held steady at 600. No static line terminated just cabin with canopy closed. I have no opinions on result just what I saw. Will up date when I get to fly and get a ADSB performance report.

I just got an update email saying I'm up for shipping but they needed my s/n. I had sent the form in without the s/n because i couldn't locate it without tearing the panel apart, even with a borescope. So today I tore into it. It's mounted on the GRT Safefly 2020 module. After disassembling more than I needed to I finally found the s/n on the opposite side from their "where's the s/n" picture. It's tiny and was blocked by the GRT dsub connector. Of course I didn't find that until I had separated the Echo from the Safefly. If you have a Safefly/Echo combo, all you need to remove is the dsub connector if your s/n is not otherwise visible.
So your SN was not where it is pictured in post #54?

Same relative position but on the opposite side. Just happened to be the side next to the dsub connector.
I have the same config of EchoUAT and Safefly as in the picture. I bought it from GRT and it has the EchoUAT mounted on top of the GRT Safefly GPS. I am going to install my EchoALT and do the update tomorrow. Since that EchoALT is so light and small I am considering mounting it right on top of the EchoUAT unit itself with some Velcro. Anyone see a problem with that?
Keith

I have the same config of EchoUAT and Safefly as in the picture. I bought it from GRT and it has the EchoUAT mounted on top of the GRT Safefly GPS. I am going to install my EchoALT and do the update tomorrow. Since that EchoALT is so light and small I am considering mounting it right on top of the EchoUAT unit itself with some Velcro. Anyone see a problem with that?
Keith
Installed and tested today. Everything went very well. 20 minute install and software upload. Flew and got a excellent PAPR report. The only thing that was a little surprise is that after you get a successful upload of the software, you need to power down your EchoUAT and restart it before you will see the new software versions. The instructions say to power down and back on but I was wrongly expecting it to be shown immediately after the successful upload.

Anyway, I am a happy camper. Everything went very well.
Keith

I just received an email stating I will be able to pickup my echoALT at AirVenture in their booth. Otherwise, I have to wait 4-6 months for them to ship.
Yep - me too. But I couldn't access their form on line, so I emailed back the info requested, and we'll see what happens ...

HFS

I just received an email stating I will be able to pickup my echoALT at AirVenture in their booth. Otherwise, I have to wait 4-6 months for them to ship.
My friend got that same email. I don't understand their logic. If they have them in stock (which they must if they are talking about pick up at Airventure) then they should ship them out. I was fortunate to get mine but for those that have been waiting months and now if they don't pick it up at Airventure they have to wait another 4-6 months. That just doesn't seem right. The email even says: "If someone you know is interested in signing up for an echoALT and hasn't received an email, please forward this to them!". So now those people get to "jump the line"? I have always been a big uAvionix fan but I am really disappointed that they took this route. Picking up at Airventure is a great option BUT don't add another 6 month delay to those that have already been waiting for 6 months just because they can't get to Airventure.
Keith

Like Tailwind/Keith said, what an odd approach. They must be worried about their cost/shipping 🤷🏼‍♂️. My reports are flawless as always, I don’t care to do the work, and I get nothing from the add on piece in safety or flying enjoyment in my opinion

I posted this as a question a while back and confirmed with tech support. I have it mounted right to the front of the echo. I initially used some 3M double sided tape but have since replaced with a 3d printed bracket that holds it in the same place. No issues with the wifi signal at all. The tape probably would have lasted the life of the device.

Still haven’t heard a thing, other than an acknowledgment of receipt of my information 6 months ago. I’m unable to go to OSH this year (first time in decades), but they haven’t sent me the delivery email anyway. I don’t understand why they would expect me (us) to wait another 6 months if we’re not at Oshkosh. I got the email in April that said units are shipping, and another in May saying ”please don’t contact us for updates”, so I’ll just leave them alone, which I have. I haven’t bothered them and won’t. Nothing I can do about it.

THAT is bizarre, and very disappointing. This whole EchoUAT scenario, for me at least, has been marked with confusion and reticence on the part of uAvionix. I've never received a single notification from them, unlike many of you. I've emailed them three different times, and they do answer there phone, and each time they confirm that I'm "on the list" but they won't even hint at a delivery time. Now, from the conversation that you related it appears this might take as long as 4-6 months? It's cool that they are standing behind their product and fixing a deficiency that they discovered (or the FAA discovered for them), but their communication protocol is not impressive. Not so different from Van's I guess, from what I read here, so maybe I'm expecting too much.

Perhaps their logic is that they'll keep shipping items until they have to depart for Airventure, but then take a supply of the encoders to Oshkosh to continue to get them into our hands while they're not in the office.

Or, if there's still someone in the office shipping parts, then Airventure is an opportunity for them to do things in parallel and increase their throughput to help their customers.

That doesn't address "4-6 months if you don't get them at Oshkosh", but they might be able to provide some insight into the rationale if queried while at their booth in a couple of weeks. And, yes, I understand that if you're not at Airventure then you can't stop by their booth to pose the question.

Regards,
Rob
N706DR
KILG

Last edited:
I received the echoAlt and installed with no problem but my ADS-B altitude was 300 ft lower on Flight Aware than my altitude encoder altitude on my GRT EFIS. Using the GRT Safely 2020 system. I felt safer with the transponder monitor that worked flawlessly for me before this upgrade. Anyone else having issues like this? So far I have had no response from uAvionix other than a ticket was generated but no phone calls returned or no further communication from them. PAPR reports have been fine.
RV-7A

I received the echoAlt and installed with no problem but my ADS-B altitude was 300 ft lower on Flight Aware than my altitude encoder altitude on my GRT EFIS. Using the GRT Safely 2020 system. I felt safer with the transponder monitor that worked flawlessly for me before this upgrade. Anyone else having issues like this? So far I have had no response from uAvionix other than a ticket was generated but no phone calls returned or no further communication from them. PAPR reports have been fine.
RV-7A
Did you wire it into your static system or just free float off cabin air?

I installed mine last week. I did not plumb into the static system mainly because of the limited access. Previous owner installed in the tail cone on the first bulkhead forward of the empennage. I used double sided tape and attached module on the face of the Echo unit, then install the new harness. Quite a feat considering I could only use one hand and completely by feel.

After first flight the PAPR report showed no failures.

Last edited:
RV-7A
I believe the altitude shown on flight aware is based on 29.92 rather than what you may see on your altimeter at the current altimeter setting. I think All encoders send out altitude based on on 29.92. ATC systems then adjust your down altitude based on local pressure

Does anyone know friends who are going to OSH this year that can just do a bulk pickup? I can’t make it to OSH this year but I thought it may be a solution for people who are going and willing to help? This is the most recent email I received from Uavioni today:

AirVenture is around the corner and we are looking forward to a great week at Oshkosh. And we know, you are looking forward to getting your free echoALT. With the high demand for these units, our team is working diligently to fulfill your orders and identify opportunities for an early delivery. Airventure 2024 is just that, and if you or someone you trust is flying in for the event, it is a great opportunity to pick up your echoALT directly from our support tent (#195A).

Does anyone know friends who are going to OSH this year that can just do a bulk pickup? I can’t make it to OSH this year but I thought it may be a solution for people who are going and willing to help? This is the most recent email I received from Uavioni today:

AirVenture is around the corner and we are looking forward to a great week at Oshkosh. And we know, you are looking forward to getting your free echoALT. With the high demand for these units, our team is working diligently to fulfill your orders and identify opportunities for an early delivery. Airventure 2024 is just that, and if you or someone you trust is flying in for the event, it is a great opportunity to pick up your echoALT directly from our support tent (#195A).
I had the same thought. If anybody is willing to take this on for a group or on an individual basis, I’m happy to chip in for your expenses and trouble. Sounds like Uavionix is tired of paying for shipping. PM me as appropriate and thanks in advance.

Installed mine last week. Went well except a call to uAvonics help me find the device 2 under Advanced setting that had to be changed to 2....All well after that. On first ramp run and checkd the Pressure altitude on the Echo monitor was 600 cycling to 575 while the pressure altitude on GTX held steady at 600. No static line terminated just cabin with canopy closed. I have no opinions on result just what I saw. Will up date when I get to fly and get a ADSB performance report.
Flew 7/6/24 long enough to get a ADSB performance report on the newly installed uAvonic ALT ENC. Report was perfect with no exceptions and no red flags. I would say it's good to go.

Don’t do it. I got the new Echo and the baro and nothing works. The GRT WARNING SERIAL PORT 5 no ADSB DATA. Any ideas. It worked until I put the new box in.

Don’t do it. I got the new Echo and the baro and nothing works. The GRT WARNING SERIAL PORT 5 no ADSB DATA. Any ideas. It worked until I put the new box in.
This isn’t in any way meant to be a snarky question, but did you set it up per the service instruction, including appropriate software install and configuration settings? Point being it may be more than just plugging everything together.

Don’t know offhand what your setup requires. Mine’s a different hardware mashup. But, the echoALT installed ok, and passes the tests.

I’m making progress, ADSB out is working, I’m legal. I just lost ADSB in. I did jump the gun. I flew the airplane and the report came in with all zeros. I will be the first to tell you Im electrically challenged. I’m looking for help and thank you for responding. I’m getting traffic on my iPad.

I’m making progress, ADSB out is working, I’m legal. I just lost ADSB in. I did jump the gun. I flew the airplane and the report came in with all zeros. I will be the first to tell you Im electrically challenged. I’m looking for help and thank you for responding. I’m getting traffic on my iPad.
No worries. Nobody is born knowing any of this stuff. We all have to wrestle with it in our own way and own time.

My first attempt at getting ADSB traffic in to display on my ipad failed.....not because is the echoUAT installation or settings......but because I didn't know I needed to turn on the "traffic" layer in ForeFlight. D'oh! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, because of family vacation plans, I’m unable to make it OSH this year. First miss in a long time. I’ll try to get one of my buddies to pick up my echoALT, but I need a steer. I couldn’t find support tent (#195A) on any of the the website maps. The search function on the Airventure site isn’t helpful for this either. Anybody know where #195A is on the grounds?

I think I may have found it. It looks like it is located on the north end of exhibit hangar C just outside of the building.

thanks Steve. - I’m just a little late to the game.…

Back