What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News - 6.28.2024. #6115.

Wishing you and yours a happy, safe and RV-filled weekend.
v/r,dr

RV News That Caught My Eye Over The Last Few Hours ….dr

A nice wiring pic I took at Monk’s the other day….dr
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 7.35.51 AM.png

Stall warning assembly and wing access hatch with ER fuel tanks
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 7.30.37 AM.png

RE: Conduit …Carl PIREP
For wing, assuming you have nothing weird going on, I found the plastic cold water pipe from Lowes to fit well in the existing 5/8” rib holes. This ~1/2” ID tubing is very light and tough. It has enough room for a coax, right wing autopilot roll servo, landing/NAV/Strobe line (assuming LED lights), OAT probe wires and such. On the left wing also need to run 1/4” pitot and AOA tubes and heavier Pitot heat wires between the bell crank area and the wing root. For this run I used the standard Van’s black conduit after enlarging the associated wing rib holes from 5/8” to 3/4”. The 3/4” hole makes a tigght fit but with some effort you can make this short run. The run from the bell crank area to the wing tip on the left wing is the same 1/2’ id plastic pipe.
For the fuselage I ran six of the Van’s conduit, three down each side (between the side panels and inside fuse skin). I use 4.5 of them, so have a full spare if needed in the future. Van’s instructions are mute on how to run tail cone wiring other than a small, single run on each side designed mainly for the #2 wire from the battery to firewall. Current RV-10s now have ADAHRS mounting (including wire/Pitot/AOA and static tubes), autopilot, remote ADS-b and other stuff like XPDR, ELT, Nav/strobe and trim wires servo, you will need more wire runs.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/conduit-questions.227907/post-1777142
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 7.31.45 AM.png

RE: Wheel Alignment …fl-mike PIREP

Recently did the same. I use HF 6' levels as straight edges. Found they are about the same cost as buying angle. I was surprised to see how close the "tire" method was to taking the measurements off the legs. I have a 3D "hat" designed to screw on the wheels using the hubcap holes that holds the levels, but our 3D printer is acting up, so I pulled the axles and clamped to the gear legs. Like you, I have Grove legs and quite a bit of camber.
I went for zero at level/weight-off, and have toe-in with the tail down. I was initially over the spec on toe in (level), and shimmed to zero. Seems better behaved now and I'm feeling better about my landing skills! (Although aligned during the build, I had been struggling with "twitchiness" on landing, especially when the tail came down, so thought I would re-check.)
Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 7.32.41 AM.png

Industry announcement- JD Air Parts

OFF TOPIC:
IMG_4419.JPG

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back