What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sludge tubes

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I am in the middle of a cam and tappet change. I had a shop dial out and mic the crank, they did not think it needed to be sent out for recertification since it was sent in at last overhaul, 600 hours and 6 years ago.

I had no cam/tappet metal in the suction screen or the oil filter but did find some in the oil pan and am considering changing the sludge tubes. I tried to do as Lycoming said and pull one with a slide hammer to no avail.

Anyone have any tricks to pull and then reinstall new ones or should I just flush the oil ports and call it a day?

Ok got them out, yuck…

I went to a reputable Engine shop and they told me to use a 3/8 inch socket extension reversed to drive them through. Here are some pictures of what I found on an engine with less than 700 hours and only six years…

Attachments

• 9DECC603-23A9-491A-BDA8-DF4011E7B6A9.jpeg
    9DECC603-23A9-491A-BDA8-DF4011E7B6A9.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 87CA50EE-6228-4674-B19C-A58113ABDA12.jpeg
    87CA50EE-6228-4674-B19C-A58113ABDA12.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 301
I believe these are only found in much older crankshafts - mid-sixties comes to mind?

Paging Doctor Mahlon?

After seeing this, maybe a centrifugal oil separator would be a good thing. Not for aerobatics though. ;)

I have seen/cleaned slingers on older Fiat cars (loosely named) and Honda motorcycles in the 60's and early 70's. That stuff can get rock hard, . . . obviously.

The Lycoming OH manual warns not to try and flush the crank without removing the sludge tubes as dislodged sludge could block oil passages and lead to bearing failure. I see why now.

Back