What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of you Hangar storage de clutter solutions

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Looking at storage / de clutter solutions for misc parts / fasteners , tools etc that are normally in the hangar. Both permanent wall and free standing being considered.
Thanks.

Hangar storage

I converted the fuse and wing crates into shelving.
Tons of space for free standing stuff.
No tool chest yet. Someday I may move the airplane tool cabinet
Sofa, TV and Blue Ray for Sweetie to relax.

First off, let me say, 'ROFLMAO'! "Declutter solution" is one of those mythical things like unicorns and hot stock tips.

After consolidating my project into a Port Authority lease hangar, where holes in the walls are discouraged, I made a huge free-standing shelf unit, added some more bolt-together shelves, some small parts bins, rollaway tool chests and a couple of multi-use tool work stands. Here's some pics:

52518418574_f6fe06348c_z.jpg

48391929802_9b4f35f410_z.jpg

52782054667_b415178bb6_z.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

This is my project as of late. I had parts everywhere. I knew where they were but now always aware of how many.

Sometimes I feel this is the only solution to declutter my hangar. :D

Right on! ;)

My one table was buried several layers deep so I did the only thing that made any sense... got two more tables.

Seriously... if you like woodworking, Ron Paulk has some plans for a neat toolchest. I've made three so far.

20220501_150106-600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I took three of the Van’s flat shipping crates and put shelving in them. Some are secured high enough on the wall , I need to use a ladder. That’s where I put things I might never use but you never know so don’t want to throw out. I like it.

Menards or Harbor Freight plastic shelving. Parts and such in cheap Sterilite plastic shoebox things (Menards). Screws and small parts in cheap Harbor Freight small parts containers. Things that need to be hung on the hangar walls, I use magnets of various strength - cheap from Amazon.

This is hangar storage only. My tool and parts needs are simple since my hangar has nothing to do with building, only maintenance and repair. I don't need anything elaborate (="expensive"), just the simplest way to manage clutter.

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I build this a few years back. Harbor Freight storage boxes. It has been indispensable for organizing hardware during my build.

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5819.jpg
    IMG_5819.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 138
You guys are cheating! Mike said "hangar storage solutions". If you look at the far right of this pic, you'll see my plastic Ikea boxes - they work pretty well, and I stack them around the perimeter of the aircraft to hopefully reduce the chances of hangar rash.

BTW, those are some beautiful workshops, gentlemen - wow!

IMG_0329.jpg

I find that the best declutter solution is to relocate the item to someone else's hangar or the large dumpster provided at the airport.

If I haven't used it in over a year and it's not critical to continued aircraft operation - away with it!

rongawar is right. The more space you have around your plane the less hangar rash you get. I never had a hanger before the RV. I’m amazed how quickly things corrode in a supposedly dry SoCal T-hanger. The diurnal temperature swing is 30F or more. The hanger contents are below the dew point often.

Attachments

• 71622945779__94C09963-A768-4E89-95CE-0583DE6DA1B6.jpg
    71622945779__94C09963-A768-4E89-95CE-0583DE6DA1B6.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Thanks everyone some good ideas and laughs !!!
Matt …awesome …….and I would not let you in my hangar , for that matter car garage either 😀

While I love the organization, I would never use the type of bin that you have hanging on the wall... The red ones that have a hook along the top back edge and they hang on a metal rail. I haven't seen an installation of those where it's not possible to catch an adjacent bin when you remove one and end up knocking one or two others off at the same time. I've had to clean up the resultant mess a few times as various offices i've worked in have had workshops that used these.

Of course, that's a minor nit to pick on such a well organized shop, and clearly i'm just jealous... :)

While I love the organization, I would never use the type of bin that you have hanging on the wall... The red ones that have a hook along the top back edge and they hang on a metal rail. I haven't seen an installation of those where it's not possible to catch an adjacent bin when you remove one and end up knocking one or two others off at the same time. I've had to clean up the resultant mess a few times as various offices i've worked in have had workshops that used these.

It's a fair point, but it hasn't really been a problem for me since I hardly ever remove the bins from the wall, and even then I find it easy to do if I'm not careless. In my workshop, the Akro-Mills bins are used to hold household-construction materials like screws and nails, so it's basically a home hardware store. All the aircraft parts live in Sortimo boxes which seal and latch shut.

Anything you build, put on wheels. Makes it easier to find that dead mouse stinking up the place, retrieve that lost bolt/part Friday night when you have the weekend free and it's the only one you have, and for general cleanup.

Last edited:
I bought a bigger hangar, with the same shelving it now does not look so cluttered:D
Figs

It has been forever since I've uploaded any photos. I'll try. (WOOHOO... IT WORKED).

Here is my tool cabinet. I built two of these when I lost my hours at work for nine weeks when covid hit. I will add this thought. I can't imagine being involved in building or maintaining an airplane without some sort of organization.
Also. Pics of other cabinets on this thread are amazing. My preference is to be able to see all or at least most of my tools. Makes it easier to find stuff.

IMG_3465 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

IMG_3467 by Paul Gray, on Flickr

Well done!!!!! A++

And to think I was feeling pretty good about my stack of Pack Outs.

:eek:

This is amazingly next level.

The only contribution I have to add is that I find it really handy to use a Grypmat or three stocked with only the items for the current operation. The high contrast orange makes everything easy to see and preloading the mats keeps me on task versus cycling through the pack out bins.

Back