What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shimming C-702 tip up canopy skin to improve fit

rsr3

Well Known Member
Whilst searching for a solution to make my C-702 tip up canopy skin fit better, I've read numerous posts where people have mentioned shimming the C-702 between the canopy frame and the skin. I haven't seen any picture of how these shims were fitted. Some say bondo, epoxy, aluminium. I can't see how the edges of the canopy can be shimmed with good results without really shimming the full length of the canopy frame to achieve a nice radius?

I have attached a picture of what I am describing. Both sides of the canopy skin are the same.

Would anyone be kind enough to share some photos of how they resolved this situation, please?

Thanks!

p.s. I should also add that this fit problem only came to light after the skin was drilled to the aft tube of the canopy frame. So a full length shim between the aft tube and the skin might take those holes out of alignment. At least at this stage they are only drilled to #40. Eventually they will be drilled to #30 for CS4-4 rivets.

Attachments

• shim.jpg
    shim.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Spacers are typical in that area - Dan Checkoway and after. Some fill the gap with thick flox, tube spacers or solid spacers. Just be sure you have planned for the rivets. The photo are solid spacers and the board was for fitting and getting them in the right place each fitting.

IMG_0578.JPG

Thank you chaps, very useful! Did you pop rivet into the JB weld, use longer rivets (assuming you can get pop rivets long enough!) or did you use another method to fix the skin to the tube via the shims?

Thanks again!!

Back