What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing the RV Grin

NO MORE OUTBACK!

Lets just cook burgers out at the hanger and watch Webb burn off his 40 hours... Whiskey - Whiskey - Great name for a great plane.

Way to go Webb!

Congrats Webb! That is one good looking plane. Maybe one day I can swing by John Bell to see my first real life RV. The wife probably will smack me for teasing myself and wanting to start the flight training before the finances are in line! Good flying.

RV Grin

At 4:20 PM today, N380DM took to the air for the first time. First flight was about 50 minutes. The FAA required me to fly the airplane out of my home base (KSGS) and move it to another outlying airport to complete the Phase 1 testing.
So, I terminated the flight at KLVN where EAA Chapter 25 makes it's hangar available to members for just this sort of thing. I am temporarily in the FBO hangar but will move to the Chapter hangar in a day or two. Kind of a pain leaving most of my tools and familiar hangar behind, but the thrill of the first flight was awesome.
The Cheltons decided to do some aerobatics on their own about 15 minutes into the flight and I suspect I may have a dragging left brake. But, the airplane flew superbly.
This is the most satisfaction I have had in a 42 year aviation career.
Thanks to all of you who have given Mary and I advice and help over the past 2 1/2 years and 2153 hours of logged construction time.

Way to go Webb!

Captain Stingbad,

Way to go, and CONGRATS on your first flights in "Sting"!!!

Plane looks GREAT, and I can see the grin from way out west!

Nice work, bro!

Cheers,
Bob

Congratulations David! Now get some hours on that bird before it starts to get cold up there....

Two thumbs up.

Great job David.

You have now officially become a test pilot of VansAirforce!

Look forward to seeing more flying pictures.

Well done

Congratulations on the first flight. I'm still grinning from mine last weekend. It will stay with you quite a while.

The Cheltons decided to do some aerobatics on their own about 15 minutes into the flight

They did :eek:

What is the go there?

Glad you enjoyed the day! And no doubt many more to come!

DB

Gary,

That is one happy lady!

This is one of my favorite pictures of Nora. It was taken after we landed at Stormy's for his summer RV roundup at his field just North of Roanoke, VA.

And for those who weren't there, she was five months pregnant at the time this picture was taken. What a woman!

After my first flight. Julia is also a pilot and helped build 7965A. Photo by Mike Barrow using Bob Mills' camera. She was and is very happy that its flying and is anxiously awaiting the completion of 40 hours!

greg

RV smile

Here's my wife Caroline after her first trip in our plane. She really enjoyed it! (and so did I ;))
maidenflightcline021108cd6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Keep the homefront happy!

There has been a lot of talk about giving rides, the RV Grin, etc.

How about sharing pictures of those lucky passengers?

Here a few that I have capture:

My son Turner

My nieces Kristin & Erin and their father, my brother, Richard.

At last. The grin is back. (Not quite a "first" flight)

Ah. The trials. The tribulations. The endless waiting, like an expectant father.

The wait is over. At 10:10 am today, N131RV took to the air again.

One year and two months to the day since my nose gear incident.

The baby was healthy and flew like a homesick angel. Witness report hearing whoops and seeing the flash of an RV grin from all over the airport.

Performance as a TD was stellar. Off the ground in 300' (or so). Low ceilings kept me below 3000' for the one hour flight, but she cruised at around 165KTS indicated at around 24/24. Not my most perfect landing, but landed straight and could have rolled to a stop with no brakes.

There are some tweaks to work on. A bit of heaviness in the right wing, some electrical noise from the second EFIS, and an annoying "jumping" of the RPM indicator on the primary EFIS.

Still, it's everything I could have hoped for (again).

Weather permitting, we'll be back at it again early tomorrow morning.

Congrats

That is a great feeling I'm sure. It will be worth it all over again. Good luck on the new "Phase 1."

I'll be back in the air tomorrow after my "event," a month ago. Can't wait.

Amen brother!!

Good for you! I bent the gear on my 9A at 64 hours and worked like a dog thru the Tucson summer for two solid months to get it back in the air. As of today, I have 117hrs on the plane.

Lemme tell you, that front gear comes off the ground asap and sets down when it will no longer fly. No exceptions, ever!

I will NEVER land on grass/dirt or ever fly it again without the nose pant on! Breakout is checked monthly as is tire inflation.

Ain't gonna happen twice.

Barry

More on the RV grin.... sorry for the rant

Gotta share this with someone, you folks are it. I'm not bragging, just high as a kite even though we landed more than two hours ago.

Today we flew from Fullerton CA to Tucson via the Palm Springs pass at 7500 ft. Our little 9A had a great tailwind and we saw ground speeds => 172kts! Holy Batman and Robin! GPH as low as 6.8.

2.5 hours door to door, hot chicken en route, cold water! Beat that Southwest Airlines!!

There were reports of RIME ice above us as low as 14k, rain on us, clouds at 10k, and the mountains on both sides covered with snow! It was incredible, a view like you never get to see in this life, but little to no turbulence! The little bird did what it does and the wife & I had a great trip.

After reading the post on the Buffalo disaster, my eyeballs looked frequently at the tail and the wings to make sure none of the bad stuff was forming.

Old men are not supposed to have this much fun! If you're building, give up tv, give up sex, give up work, get back to your project.

Trust me, it's worth it!

Last year from OSH we saw ~200kts GS the entire way home. That was a very nice tailwind and too cool. Non-stop from OSH to LZU in Atlanta, even when going around the west side of Chicago. Landed with a little more than 13 gallons on board. We launch out of OSH as soon as the field opened for departures and were home for a late lunch.

My wife was impressed. ;-)

These RVs are just too cool and too much fun.

Edit: here's a pic of the GPS on the way home on that trip.
DSC01783.JPG

Last edited:
Ah. The trials. The tribulations. The endless waiting, like an expectant father.

The wait is over. At 10:10 am today, N131RV took to the air again.

Good deal, I'm hoping to experience that second first flight here shortly and can tell by your post it will be worth the wait. Congrats.

Grin

If you'd like to immagine my grin--go to aprs.fi. Type in n161rl to log in. when that page comes up, type in n161rl in the upper right. Go down to the last 6 months block and click 2008. go down to dec. 29th and click. that should bring you to the last phase of my flight from near Austin, TX to Cornelia, GA. Habersham County Airport..

Click and drag that map back to the Alabama/Georgia border and click on that dot. I had about a 5 mph tail wind there. Click on the dots anywhere along the route. I started out in Texas with a 15 kt headwind which diminished to a direct crosswind somewhere around Birmingham, AL. ending with a slight tail wind at the border then switching back to a crosswind nearing home.

I have an angle valve 200hp Lyc and was running about 2330-50 rpm at full throttle which was about 23.6 in MP at 7500 ft.

I'm not sure that it gets any better than this.:D Didn't have to take my shoes off and have everything x-rayed. Beat Delta door to door including the potty break/fuel stop at Vicksburg.

The Best RV grin I have seen

Very special day for me:D He did great loved looking for planes
img00142.th.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:
Enjoy!

Kirk,

Great picture. Enjoy these moments. I still remember when I took my daughter -- then just 3 -- flying. She also had a great time (although no RV grin!). She is about to turn 12 this summer and not that interested in flying anymore.

Way to go!!

Hi, Kirk,

He looks happier in the plane than he did standing in front of it.

Enjoy the moments, for sure...

My oldest son...

was the first person I took flying when I got my private in 1985. He's now a 30 year old PP with instrument rating and flying is one of many things we share.

All 5 of mine have flown a lot and loved it. There have been a lot of special time shared in various cockpits.

The RV Grin

The first time I saw N474P was in 1994 while it was still in the building stage. My wife and I just after arrived from South Africa with the intension to make the USA our new home, which we did. I never dreamed that one day I would become the owner of this beautiful and well built RV-4.

In March this year as I was looking for an aircraft to purchase and I heard that 474P was for sale. Long story short ? I bought 474P knowing that I had to finish of the canopy because the previous owner had an unfortunate in-flight incident in which the canopy was destroyed. (This is a story for another day.)

My first experience with RV builders was when I contacted Phil Perry who immediately offered to come and hammer some rivets for me. I did not want to learn on a new canopy.

Thank you Phill ? you were of great help to me.

I always wondered about the RV grin but today Sunday, July 05, 2009 at 9:15 am I was awarded that grin. Finally I know what it means.

I took of from 27XS climbed out at 1500 feet/min, leveled out at 5000 ft and saw 160 knots coming up very quickly. I did not cross check ground speed on the GPS because the purpose of the flight was not to see how fast the plane was but rather to familiarize myself with its handling.

I throttled back, did a couple of turns, choose a road and made a couple of mock approaches with full flaps at 3000 feet. Then I just flew to enjoy the visibility, handling and flight characteristics of the plane. After about 45 minutes I returned to 27XS only to find that the 13 knot wind straight down the runway at take off, now has become a full cross wind with the wind sock straight up.

With the understanding that if at any time I feel uncomfortable or not in control of the aircraft on the cross wind approach I will go to another airport that would favor better conditions.

I did a normal full flap approach at 75 ? 80 MPH and kept the aircraft about 30 foot of the runway to feel what the mechanical turbulence coming of the hangers would feel like. Although it was very rough with gust all over the place, control always felt positive. 27XS has hangers on both sides of its 150 x 4100 foot grass runway. I got back into the pattern and the second approach I did at 85 MPH and this time hold the aircraft about 15 foot of the ground for the entire length of the runway. Again I got back in the pattern.

Third approach, full flaps with a little power at 95 MPH. I brought the aircraft down to about 5 foot of the runway and slowly pulled the power completely back whilst keeping the nose straight, all the time slowly pulling back on the stick. She settled gently to the ground for a perfect three point landing.

What an amassing aircraft and what a privilege to own a well build RV-4.

And the grin ? well ?. for now it can stay.

The grin that never goes away!

And the grin ? well ?. for now it can stay.

It's been 151 hours and the grin STILL remains stuck on my face.

Enjoy and congrats.

Barry
Tucson

RV Grin.......

img0054sp.jpg

i got a call from Ron looking for a first ride in a RV. he is interested in a 6a or 7a now. i wonder why. it was a perfect flight. he is a 200 hr pilot with some nice skills which seem to fit the RV very well. we did a lot of 'maneuvers' then headed over to F45 to shoot the ILS to 8r followed by a hold at morga. about that time he was getting a bit behind the aircraft and commented that it was a lot of plane. i think he is hooked. any leads on planes for him would be greatly appreciated. looking forward to flying with ron again. what a great community we have. turbo
americanflag2a.jpg

The RV Grin

So the hangar/shop is setup, tools rounded up and the RV4 tail kit inventoried. As I pulled that first piece of blue plastic off the HS 402, I broke into a huge RV Grin. I hadn't had such a grin since September 30, 1999, when I flew RV6A N191CT for the first time. It felt good, real good. So here I go again. Ain't life grand?

Biggest RV Grin

Took a youngster up for his first RV flight on Sunday. Man this must be the biggest RV grin I have ever seen...:D
rv_flips_38.jpg

Another Great Grin

Took our friend Jane on her first ride in an RV - Do you think she was enjoying the beautiful morning?

JaneGrin.jpg

This was a flight out of Peter O'Knight (KTPF) just south of downtown Tampa. Following launch this terrific view of the skyline and cruise ship port comes into view on the left. Spectacular day.

tampa.jpg

The grin says it all.

Carl Raichle
Lutz, FL
N194CR - Based at KZPH

Last edited:
Way to share the RV grin, Carl. We need to meet up again one of these days. It's been too long.

Back