What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing the RV Grin

Does this constitute a RV grin?

Yesterday another RV-8 took to the air at Meadow Lake airport. I will leave the details to the pilot but I will add that while he was obviously having lots of fun orbiting over the airport I was on the ground taking pictures in chilly weather.

I guess it was my own fault for not dressing better.

BrianGrin.jpg

PS, until he primed the pink cowl his plane was essentially a Mary K motif.

Last edited:
first flight

Fantastic Brian!!!!!!!!! Good to see its all done and flying. Well not really ALL done I'm sure but to be able to fly it must have been great.

PS. I met you last month at Meadow Lake when I came out to see the red RV-4 from southern Colorado. I bought it incidently, due to be delivered end of Feb. Hi to the other RV guys.

The 'RV Grin'... New Van's Ad

My April EAA Sport Aviation magazine came today. I noticed on page 49, that Van's has a new ad sporting a very familiar face!

Good to see one of our VAF Moderators has his very own Ad!

Way to go Paul:)

Well, thanks Peter - but I give Doug all the credit for the picture. We were at Hilltop Lakes for breakfast one day, and he says "Paul, look up and smile!", and next thing I know, he'd captured a decent picture - despite my knobby knees!

It is kind of fun being on the same page of the magazine as an article on the Wright Flyer!

Paul

Doug posted the ads at the bottom of
Thursday's front page.

IMG_2523.jpg

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, Congrats on a fine picture in Sport Aviation. I guess even guys with knobby knees can be fighter pilots too! (I have a chance!):D

Nice concept (besides nice plane and great guy.) I ran an ad agency for about 15 years and have often wondered if a more "personal" approach might be a good way to promote aircraft. Looks like now we can find out. Only thing that I would like to see in the ad is a tag line, name and mini bio, "Paul Dye, NASA Flight Director and 5 year RV pilot." Something like that.

Congrats, Paul, on being picked first, in spite of your knees.

Bob Kelly

Oops. . . My Mistake

Geez, I thought that was the "I just got back from a weekend visiting my sweetie Louise!" grin, Paul! You'd better make sure she knows that the RV is only one part of the overall happiness quotient showing in that pic:D

Great shot - great ad.

I'm taking the next week off and am definitely going to try to burn some 100LL, always a dicey deal this time of year out here.:rolleyes:

Only thing that I would like to see in the ad is a tag line, name and mini bio, "Paul Dye, NASA Flight Director and 5 year RV pilot." Something like that.

Well, as you can imagine, that is definitely not allowed (by law). Scott at Van's asked if he could use my picture. I said "Sure, as long as you don't use anything related to my job, or employer - I'm just a typical pilot, happy with my RV!". From teh sigh, I thought that was the last I'd hear of it....

I guess they picked me because of my winning smile?:p

(The knees belong to Louise....)

showing off legs

The last time I saw legs like that they were attached to a duck!! (just kidding) :D :D

RE:RV Grin Revisited

Frank 1

I know this has been on the forum before but...........for all you folks in various stages of build.............I can safely say that this is what its all about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: Check out that up side down RV GRIN:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuRJwVR-iHo

Frank 2 @ SGU RV7A................maybe it will be done some day....1001 details

Another grin

Today, after comming home from church, my wife and I took our semi-obligatory trip through the airpark, just to see what was going on.

We noticed a plane in the pattern, and headed off to the observation bench beside the runway.

Soon, My buddy Scott comes in, and lands in his RV-8.

Now, you gotta understand----I have a case of the "Jones's" for an 8----

So, after Scott taxies off to park the plane, I suggest :)D) that we go say hi.

Anyway, as my wife really loves planes and flying, I suggest she take a look in the plane------and try the back seat. Scott is also encouraging her.

Next thing she knew, off for an adventure.

Fast forward to now, hour or more later, she is still grinnin', and telling the kids about the ride.

LOVE that woman.

On the verge of a grin

I got the beginning of a grin!!!!

Set the panel in place, hooked up the wires, hooked up the battery, no smoke, and things started lighting up!!!! EVERYTHING worked I tested. Master switch was upside down (unscrew and rotate) and the flap wires needed switching but they worked.

Time to hold the breath and pre-oil the engine......I turned the key and the fan started turning with oil pressure coming up. Now I'm really smiling.

Most of the plane went a few days ago to the paint shop (wings, empanage, cowl, control surfaces, and fairings). Fuselage goes this Wednesday. Should be there about 2 weeks and then off to the hanger for final assembly.

Congratulations Webb, your almost there. Took my 8 to the airport last week and final assembled it, a great sense of accomplishment. Still hashing out paper work but at least I can taxi around the airport to the envy of my buddies!:cool:

RV Grin

Today was a big milestone for us. I watched 22C depart without me onboard for the first time ever. However I was confident it would take good care of my beloved Tanya. Believe it or not, we've been flying 22C for about 16 months and Tanya had not flown it solo yet. It was time to remedy that. I tinkered in the hangar while Tanya did some laps in the pattern for a while. What a weird experience. She reports that it climbs much better without me and is a bit louder without my sound deadening mass :). Even though she has over 100hrs PIC time in 22C, none was solo and the returning grin showed it.

Scott,

That is great news for both of you!

Nora was all ready to start taking lessons in our -9 when she found out she was pregnant. Now it's anyone's guess when she will get a chance to start lessons.

Congrats Tanya - it's great to see that you've finally taken control of "your" plane!

Maybe now Scott will get "his" -8 going....;)

Paul

Tanya and Scott

Guys I was watching your progress since day one on Oct 2004 . Your well worded, illustrated website influenced my decision very much. So I started two years after you. But I couldn't not even imagine that situation will turn into such a development:) Well done Tanya! Excellent planning Scott! I will be pleased to see you on LOE 2012 and shake you hand. May be I will arrive early to have some cookies.

New Grin

2 Weeks ago, Kahuna came into town and did the test flight. I took care of the squawks he found and fixed a few more of my own. On Saturday, John Boudreaux flew over from Monroe and we spent 2 hours flying in his RV7A to satisfy the insurance company’s requirement.

Then the magic moment!! Yesterday afternoon, I held my breath and pushed the throttle to the wall. This plane did not take off, it JUMPED off the runway. I think I was airborne in about 4-5 seconds.

For the 1st half hour, I circled the airport at 2000 to 2500 feet and ran the engine hard as part of the break-in and also wanted to make sure all systems were working properly. I had so much coffee earlier in the day, had to come in to land!!! After a potty break, did a walk around and checked everything and then went flying. Did 2 hours and watched temps come down. I ran it so the EGT’s were around 1450-1460 degrees and ran it around 2550 squared. The CHT’s started dropping and were running high 390’s except #1 which was 402.

This has got to be the easiest airplane to fly that I have ever flown. It’s definitely the fastest and most responsive. Still getting used to the light touch but I’m finding it an easy learning curve. With the electric trim, I learned it is a “tap tap” of the trim button and you don’t have to fool with a lot of trimming on this bird. Hold it down and you are rapidly out of trim. After a few more low altitude hours to ensure heat for engine break-in, I’ll get it up high in some still air to check any trim issues.

picture: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2317/n32wwvb0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful!

That is one pretty airplane. Congratulations on getting it into the air.

Do all the things you're supposed to during flyoff, then enjoy the heck out of the airplane.

Fly safe, fly often!

Congratulations!

Webb,
Sounds like you had fun! I'm glad it worked out with John. He's a super nice guy! He can really cook crawfish too! I'll let you know when our chapter has our annual crawfish boil next spring.

I know how you feel, it's been almost a month since I first flew my 7A and I'm still on cloud nine.

Mark

Lucky guy!

This is a guy who found not only a wife that likes to fly but a wife that REALLY likes to fly! You are a lucky man!

Flying is not my wife's cup of tea but I did manage to get her up in my old Aeronca about a half a dozen times. I think I'll be able to get her up at least once in the RV when it's finished.

Meet me in Brookhaven

Congrats Webb! That is one nice looking plane. Take good notes 'cause I'm gonna drive up one of these days to pick your brain.

Dave - Brookhaven is in my phase 1 area. Fuel there is now below 3 bucks so I will be stopping for fillups until Raymond drops their price. PM me your phone and I'll give you a call since Tylertown isn't far from there but it's just over the confinement area line if you want to come take a look see since I can't stop at your airport. I'll be burning holes in the sky this weekend and it's an excuse to fly.

John's a great guy

Webb,
Sounds like you had fun! I'm glad it worked out with John. He's a super nice guy! He can really cook crawfish too! I'll let you know when our chapter has our annual crawfish boil next spring.

I know how you feel, it's been almost a month since I first flew my 7A and I'm still on cloud nine.

Mark

I had a blast with John. We rolled his plane a few times and did a split S. He was so easy to work with. What amazed me was the plane seemed too easy to fly.

Let me know when the crawfish boil is. Suckin heads and pinchin tails is a great way to pass a bit of time.

How far are you from Tallulah? It's in my area.

I had a blast with John. We rolled his plane a few times and did a split S. He was so easy to work with. What amazed me was the plane seemed too easy to fly.

Let me know when the crawfish boil is. Suckin heads and pinchin tails is a great way to pass a bit of time.

How far are you from Tallulah? It's in my area.

Webb,
Tallulah is 70 miles from Farmerville. I've completed phase 1 so I can go there at will. It will take me about 26 minutes. I'm familiar with the airport (TVR). Our chapter helps with their semi-annual Southern Heritage Airshow.

I'll PM you with my cell # so you can call if you want to meet at Tallulah someday.

Mark

Bring it on

Webb,
Tallulah is 70 miles from Farmerville. I've completed phase 1 so I can go there at will. It will take me about 26 minutes. I'm familiar with the airport (TVR). Our chapter helps with their semi-annual Southern Heritage Airshow.

I'll PM you with my cell # so you can call if you want to meet at Tallulah someday.

Mark

Send it to me and I plan to fly there this weekend.

Way to go Tanya!

I knew it was just a matter of time. I hope it was Scott's left arm you twisted so that you get to do all the flying for a while... :D

Outstanding!

What a motivation! Thanks Webb! I am going down to the shop RIGHT NOW to continue klyatyi fiberglass.

Way to go Webb, now you need to cancel these ridiculous plans to move to KPGD and stay right here in Mississippi.

How does your admin like the new Cardiologist?

Congrats

I'm happy for you. Maybe I'll take you & the wife to Outback again................(JOKE). Plane looks GREAT!!!!!!!

Back