What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

scammer reporting

What's the process to finding out if a long time member here is scamming others? He's had more than enough time to contact me after I paid over a week ago (25 AUG) and he has contacted another buyer, but hasn't actually sent anything that was paid for by us.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219771

I just read on paypal they protect against scams or problems like this, WTH, is there website saying you are protected but actually you are not protected from losing money? I am about to send a member thats been here registered since 2020 but only posted 5 times, pay him $1200. for a mini EFIS and thought paypal was the way to go…. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219909

His post looks honest and seems sincere.. but after reading your story I am balking at using paypal or trusting anyone

Last edited:
I just read on paypal they protect against scams or problems like this, WTH, is there website saying you are protected but actually you are not protected from losing money? I am about to send a member thats been here registered since 2020 but only posted 5 times, pay him $1200. for a mini EFIS and thought paypal was the way to go…. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=219909

His post looks honest and seems sincere.. but after reading your story I am balking at using paypal or trusting anyone

Have you read “How Not to Get Scammed” : https://vansairforce.net/UsingTheClassifiedsSuggestions.htm

If you haven’t followed these steps, you’re taking risks on your own….

If you use Paypal Goods and Services you are supposed to be protected. You can also file a fraud dispute on the credit card to use with paypal. DO NOT USE FRIENDS AND FAMILY unless you are sure the guy is OK.

Regular Paypal is fully protected like a credit card purchase for both the buyer and the seller. However, there is a fee to the seller.
Paypal friends and family offers no protection and has no fee to either the sender or recipient if you fund the transaction from a Paypal balance or your bank account. It was intended for transferring money, to, well friends and family. http://https://www.paypal.com/us/csh...yments-help277 This is how I pay my pet sitter but I would never buy or sell something long distance with this.

Beware of anyone requesting payment by Paypal friends and family ( as opposed to Paypal), Venmo or other cash equivalent means as it is a good indication of a scam.

I deleted the rvkits14 and gibbsquintarius accounts. Thanks for the heads up.
v/r,dr

If you haven’t followed these steps, you’re taking risks on your own….

I paid Paypal using the email given to me through the forum member's PM here and Paypal showed his name, so the hacker would have had to hack his email, his forum account, and Paypal.

Could a moderator or Doug check if the forum member's actual email used to sign into the forum is the same email given to me through the forum PMs? This way I would know if the member was hacked or not. [ed. if you contact me on that one person I can probably do it. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to me, my package was on the porch when I returned home today.

Joe

Awesome news, just read your PM too. I called home and my neighbor found a package and sent me a picture. It was the gizmo mount. I wonder why he wouldn't just reply to any of my emails? Oh well, at least we didn't lose our money !

Scammer

Just a heads up to be aware of scammer going by name of Dave Clark (how original) on here and has been successful on other sites.

Just a heads up to be aware of scammer going by name of Dave Clark (how original) on here and has been successful on other sites.
I had the same issue with this person - David Clarke. I replied to the add below, actually sent money (I know, how foolish) and haven't received the item nor received any replies to my emails. The person's email is: [email protected]

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=222084

I have purchased many items from members who advertised in the classified section of VansAirForce.net but this is the first time I've been scammed.
Shot down in flames!!!

Looks like 720-468-0722 is still at it trying to scam people, claiming to be in Iowa. Who gives prop times like that? Was pretty obvious to me from the initial message. Always be skeptical and do a google search of anyones number who contacts you about parts! My google search brought me right back to this thread!

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Got a scammer contacting me about some parts I'm looking for that's a post here and on barnstormers. Number is 707-497-7621. Caller ID is a Brian McCaughey who is a real person that passed away summer of 2023. Uses all the typical scammer tactics. Urgent, has just what I needed, but was just gonna throw it out, never said name, can't send pics, gets angry when I ask for proof, cashapp only, etc. Also reported to Barnstormers.

Another new member scammer, sending private messages in response to classified ads. Very typical format where they want you reach out to an unrelated email address that they control.

Attachments

• IMG_0570.png
    IMG_0570.png
    432.5 KB · Views: 88
Another new member scammer, sending private messages in response to classified ads. Very typical format where they want you reach out to an unrelated email address that they control.
Same person reached out to me for my want to buy for a lycoming crankshaft.

Username “pilli dan” sent me a PM for a potential seller of a crankshaft at [email protected].

Clearly a scam as he sent me photos with Gibson Aviation business cards in them from eBay and clearly didn’t even know what a crankshaft was.

I deleted the user pills dan. dr

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has posted about a scam encounter they have experienced. It's hard to do when you are a bit embarrassed, being the sammed.

It prompted me to be extra diligent with a recent purchase I am making. An individual posted an item for sale here on VAF, and it was their first post. Of course, that was very suspicious. I started a conversation with them on VAF, and then email. They provided a bunch of pictures, and when I wanted specific pictures of parts, they too were sent. They provided a very plausible story for why they are selling the parts, and was clearly knowledgeable about what they had. The hard part, they are in New Zealand. I was conflicted about how to make the transaction. At first we talked about using a trusted 3rd party, but how to arrange that? As we discussed some more, he offered up making the exchange when he next visits some family here in the States. As it turns out he works for an air carrier, and gets staff transport. We have worked out a day to meet in Chicago, which is about a 4.5 hour drive for me. I'm telling this story, because it was so tempting to just send the money as I think it's a fare price, and he provided so much info and pictures. He clearly has the parts. However, you never know, and I think the 4.5 hour drive (one way) is well worth my time to meet this individual for the exchange. Besides, I don't know any Kiwi's. That would be a trip to added to the bucket list.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that has posted about a scam encounter they have experienced. It's hard to do when you are a bit embarrassed, being the sammed.

It prompted me to be extra diligent with a recent purchase I am making. An individual posted an item for sale here on VAF, and it was their first post. Of course, that was very suspicious. I started a conversation with them on VAF, and then email. They provided a bunch of pictures, and when I wanted specific pictures of parts, they too were sent. They provided a very plausible story for why they are selling the parts, and was clearly knowledgeable about what they had. The hard part, they are in New Zealand. I was conflicted about how to make the transaction. At first we talked about using a trusted 3rd party, but how to arrange that? As we discussed some more, he offered up making the exchange when he next visits some family here in the States. As it turns out he works for an air carrier, and gets staff transport. We have worked out a day to meet in Chicago, which is about a 4.5 hour drive for me. I'm telling this story, because it was so tempting to just send the money as I think it's a fare price, and he provided so much info and pictures. He clearly has the parts. However, you never know, and I think the 4.5 hour drive (one way) is well worth my time to meet this individual for the exchange. Besides, I don't know any Kiwi's. That would be a trip to added to the bucket list.
Good chance it's legit, and you'll make a new friend as well as get the parts you want. Sometimes it works out.

Scam Alert!
There is a "Steve Tat" that just PM'd me regarding my WTB ad with the "I just purchased HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 from olderthandirt, email me at..." His profile says he just joined this morning at 2:45.

Ed: I locked down that person‘s account. If they reach out privately, and can prove to me that they are who they are, I will reconsider. Thank you for the heads up! dr

Scam Alert!
There is a "Steve Tat" that just PM'd me regarding my WTB ad with the "I just purchased HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 from olderthandirt, email me at..." His profile says he just joined this morning at 2:45.

Ed: I locked down that person‘s account. If they reach out privately, and can prove to me that they are who they are, I will reconsider. Thank you for the heads up! dr
I got a message from them as well
DR has been notified
Steve Tat’ ip address will likely be banned shortly 👏🏻

Back