What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 who has installed G3X?

I made a shelf out of 063 between the panel and bulkhead to the forward baggage. I mounted everything on that. I’ll dig up a picture later.
Scott

Where did you mount the GEA 24 engine monitor?
Midwest Panel Builders has a plug-and-play avionics tray for the RV-8 that has the GEA 24 Mounted. Although I did not use their tray, I got some good ideas for my build looking at their video.IMG_2645.jpegThis is my avionics tray with the GEA 24 connections going down through the bottom.

Last edited:
Behind the GMC 507, since it's so slim and there's plenty of space available in the back, I took advantage of that space to place the GEA 24 and the GAD 29.

Here is a photo of how my panel is coming along, although you can't see the GEA 24. When I get back to my workshop, I'll take some photos where you can see it clearly. I'm also sharing some images of the 3D custom avionics rack.

1726144345946.png1726144575618.png1726144603103.png

I guess the real question is are all the prob leads (CHT, EGT,etc) long enough to reach through the firewall, across the forward baggage compartment into the panel area to connect to the 24?

Same, ‘cept different.

I also had the 507 above the GPS Nav/com. Plenty of room. Mounted the GAD to the 650 tray.
IMG_0038.jpegIMG_0039.jpegIMG_0097.jpeg

Midwest Panel Builders has a plug-and-play avionics tray for the RV-8 that has the GEA 24 Mounted. Although I did not use their tray, I got some good ideas for my build looking at their video.View attachment 70260This is my avionics tray with the GEA 24 connections going down through the bottom.
Did you buy the wiring harness already made? It looks so professionally made. On my 8 I finished in ‘09. After 340 hours my MGL EFIS died and I’ve spent the last three days trying to unwire and remove it. What a mess! I figure I’ll end up re wiring half the plane. I’ve gone to gulf coast avionics for a quote including a harness. I also have a ch801 I finished a couple years ago that I put in a G3X., but I made all the wiring

Don’t forget you will likely have to remove the boxes at some point down the road…

I slightly modified the Midwest Panel design. I thought it was brilliant how they mounted the GEA 24 and VPX vertically.RV-8 3D Panel v43.png

Did you buy the wiring harness already made? It looks so professionally made. On my 8 I finished in ‘09. After 340 hours my MGL EFIS died and I’ve spent the last three days trying to unwire and remove it. What a mess! I figure I’ll end up re wiring half the plane. I’ve gone to gulf coast avionics for a quote including a harness. I also have a ch801 I finished a couple years ago that I put in a G3X., but I made all the wiring
I bought all my avionics along with harnesses from SteinAir….very happy customer!

I guess the real question is are all the prob leads (CHT, EGT,etc) long enough to reach through the firewall, across the forward baggage compartment into the panel area to connect to the 24?
All my temp probes came with about 10 inches of leads, I had to make extensions for all of them anyways.

That would be helpful, thanks
Couldn't find a pic from construction. Just took this from underneath. The shelf is bolted to the top of F-802T which is the brace behind the panel. I put some angles on teh baggage bulkhead so the shelf would be level. I used nut plates to attach various items to the shelf. This has the added benefit of keeping all wiring protected from knees, out of sight.

1726230268541.jpeg

I also made a shelf spanning the two braces and mounted all the LRU's on that. If you mount them behind the G3X, all you have to do to work on them is remove the display (easy) and you have a big hole to work through.

I also made a shelf spanning the two braces and mounted all the LRU's on that. If you mount them behind the G3X, all you have to do to work on them is remove the display (easy) and you have a big hole to work through.
Good idea. I will make the shelf. What thickness sheet did you use? I’ve got a bunch of .40 left over. Where did you put the engine monitor?

Don’t forget you will likely have to remove the boxes at some point down the road…
You are correct. I take the front baggage compartment floor out at every annual to inspect the peddles and brakes so it shouldn’t be much to get to the engine monitor if mounted below it. I would of course rubber spacer it from the back of the firewall to allow ventilation between the unit and the back of the firewall. Sound okay?

I like the metal screen with all the holes for ventilation and weight reduction. Where did you buy it?
Aviation department of McMaster Carr. One of these, IIRC

My GEA-24 location
Brace that panel like crazy if you're going to mount the GSU there. If you can move it at all, you will have large IMU errors. And I mean at all. Grab the bottom on the panel and pull/push. Diagonal braces are your friend. The gear tower may be a better spot.

Fabed a shelf between the gear tower brace and instrument sub panel.

Attachments

• 20180109_180045.jpg
    20180109_180045.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Behind the GMC 507, since it's so slim and there's plenty of space available in the back, I took advantage of that space to place the GEA 24 and the GAD 29.

Here is a photo of how my panel is coming along, although you can't see the GEA 24. When I get back to my workshop, I'll take some photos where you can see it clearly. I'm also sharing some images of the 3D custom avionics rack.

View attachment 70236View attachment 70237View attachment 70238

Here is another view of the actual location:
1727787742726.jpeg
1727787759553.jpeg

Back