What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7 W&B Performance???

I have a RV 7 with a O-320 FP Catto Cruise prop that I easily get 155-160 KTAS. TO I will get around 2200 RPM but climb is very limited 5-8 FPM at 110-120 mph indicated. It will not exceed 2700 RPM Level flight and any altitude. (Cattos comment to me was "whoever ordered this prop, really wanted a cruise prop) Prop has a 19.2# weight on the front of the crush plate. I believe the total weight on the front with prop is around 23-25#

I have been on here before asking about my aft CG issues. Yes I would love to at least put a CS prop on and/or a 180 HP engine and this would solve all my problems but this engine would have to be taken apart to be able to add the CS prop plus I am working on a -8 for the future. I bought this airplane for a cheaper way for my son to get XC time and TW time while having tons of fun and we really like the airplane.

I am looking a few options:

1. Get a metal 2 blade Sensenich prop. What kind of performance are those with a O-320 getting with this?

2. Getting a Catto 3 blade all around prop. This does not really add but 1# compared to my existing set up. What numbers are those of you getting with the 3 blade catto?

3. As far as W & B goes I also just found out that some put the smaller -8 rudder on the -7 and it helps with the CG and also better performance and handling. Would love more information of this.

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited:
The Catto prop is going to be smoother than the Sensenich -- wood/composite propellers damp out the resonant (or have a much different resonant response) frequencies. Think of the difference when you "thunk" a plastic cup and crystal wine glass -- propellers behave similarly.

The smaller -8 rudder is just a little lighter than the -7/9 rudder. It has heavier skins (.020" vs .016") so that eats up a little of the difference in size|weight.

I put the -8 rudder on both of my RV-7 builds and would do so again. I think the spin recovery concerns that prompted the change to the -7/9 rudder in 2002 were overblown (SB 2-6-1).

Consider changing to an EarthX ETX-680 primary battery. I know it's on the firewall and that won't really help an aft CG tendency, BUT the overall weight reduction is nice.

A hangar neighbor with an O-320 with the Catto 3 blade was getting about 165Ktas / 6000ft IIRC.

Edit: "3 for climb, 2 for cruise" However, RV's climb like a scalded-a$$-ape even with a small engine.

Last edited:
3. As far as W & B goes I also just found out that some put the smaller -8 rudder on the -7 and it helps with the CG and also better performance and handling. Would love more information of this.

To increase the strength and flutter margins of the RV-7/7A, remove the RV-9/9A rudder (which is used on the -7/7A) and install an RV-8/8A rudder. The RV-7/7A with the RV-8/8A rudder is a Van's approved configuration.

The post linked below explains why the the RV-8/8A rudder on the RV-7/7A provides larger strength and flutter margins:

Instead of rehashing it all again in this thread, newer forum members can view this thread:

Last edited:
Back