What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Fatal Accident, N6161, 8/12/2023, near Virden, IL

RV8JD

Well Known Member
RV-14A fatal accident, N6161, 8/12/2023, near Virden, IL.

From the Aviation Safety Network: https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/343480
"An experimental Van's RV-14A, kit built by Greg M. Bierman, impacted the ground while on approach to Hulcher RLA Airport, Virden, Illinois.

The sole pilot died and the aircraft was written off."​
RIP.

This is the quote from the official NTSB document. What ever happened to the plane it did not look good from the witness's descriptions

"he airplane departed the Litchfield Municipal
Airport (3LF), Litchfield, Illinois, from runway 27 at 0838. The airplane flew to the north toward Virden and at 0847 made a sharp left turn with an estimated heading change of 125° and headed toward the southwest.
Witnesses in Virden observed the airplane flying to the southwest inverted. Some reported the engine made unusual noises. One observed the airplane bank left and roll the airplane upright before the airplane descended and impacted terrain."

This is the quote from the official NTSB document. What ever happened to the plane it did not look good from the witness's descriptions

"he airplane departed the Litchfield Municipal
Airport (3LF), Litchfield, Illinois, from runway 27 at 0838. The airplane flew to the north toward Virden and at 0847 made a sharp left turn with an estimated heading change of 125° and headed toward the southwest.
Witnesses in Virden observed the airplane flying to the southwest inverted. Some reported the engine made unusual noises. One observed the airplane bank left and roll the airplane upright before the airplane descended and impacted terrain."

A link would be outstanding.

The preliminary report is here:

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/192848/pdf

Full text of the report:

On August 12, 2023, about 0848 central daylight time, a Vans RV-14A airplane, N6161, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Virden, Illinois. The pilot was fatally injured. The flight was operated under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 as a personal flight.

Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast (ADS-B) data provided by the Federal Aviation Administration captured the accident flight. The airplane departed the Litchfield Municipal Airport (3LF), Litchfield, Illinois, from runway 27 at 0838. The airplane flew to the north toward Virden and at 0847 made a sharp left turn with an estimated heading change of 125° and headed toward the southwest.

Witnesses in Virden observed the airplane flying to the southwest inverted. Some reported the engine made unusual noises. One observed the airplane bank left and roll the airplane upright before the airplane descended and impacted terrain.

The airplane collided with trees and terrain about 0.8 miles southwest of the center of Virden. The first impact signatures were broken tree limbs about 20 ft above the ground. The main impact point was located just beneath the trees. Evidence at the scene was consist with an impact angle around 45° nose low. The airplane remained relatively intact with both wings, the engine, fuselage, and empennage accounted for at the accident site.

The airplane was retained for further examination.

Flightaware track for N6161 does not show any turns, and the flight record stops at 3500' MSL.

Wonder if it's been sanitized.

Flightaware track for N6161 does not show any turns, and the flight record stops at 3500' MSL.

Wonder if it's been sanitized.

The last hit on Flightaware shows a rate of descent of almost 3400 fpm from 4200’.

Data indicates that speed and altitude changed rapidly.
Something went wrong, can't speculate what.
Very sad and quite strange, will be interested to see next report.

Shows far more detail than what I'm able to see (last data 3500 feet, 159 mph) on FlightAware, that's for sure. I see on the adsbexchange track a decent rate of 8,000 fpm over a span of 22 seconds, while not exceeding 165 kts ground speed, including 95 kts in the turn. I know data like this at the packet level can be wonky due to system latency, at least with APRS - not sure if ADS-B suffers the same issues - but this is a baffling aerodynamic display. I can't imagine what flight attitude would be required for that kind of descent without blowing through Vne, while being able to slow to 95 knots for a 120 degree turn. I don't think I've been in a plane that could do that.

[speculative text deleted;S.Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
On the positive side, most new RVs have the latest EFIS that save a lot of data for forensic analysis. The airplane is basically recovered as a whole with all the major structural pieces in place according to the NTSB. I hope the NTSB will output a detailed accident investigation document that show us the last few minutes of this accident, like how the Canadian accident investigators do with accidents that occurred up north

Hulcher Airport

Not a comment about the accident. Why does the Hulcher RLA Airport keep coming up. An examination of satellite view shows no indication that an Airstrip ever existed in that area. Address was 235 South Wrightsman which is the W/SW edge of the town.
I had never seen the term RLA before. It appears to be a IL Dept. of Aeronautics designation: Restricted Landing Area.

Not a comment about the accident. Why does the Hulcher RLA Airport keep coming up. An examination of satellite view shows no indication that an Airstrip ever existed in that area. Address was 235 South Wrightsman which is the W/SW edge of the town.
I had never seen the term RLA before. It appears to be a IL Dept. of Aeronautics designation: Restricted Landing Area.

There was something there in March of 1993 -- see attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 2.08.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 2.08.36 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 169
Back