What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Runway Finder Shutting Down

Back Step

Sorry to waste space but I feel the need to clarify. Don't know why, but when I read the previous post with the shirt photos, those pics did not appear. I was not aware of what I was "agreeing" to. I do not agree with that direction. I never considered anything other than the RunwayFinder name, and that alone. I could not support an idea to direct negative comment toward any third party.

DR has made his wishes known and that's that. I would not want to do or say anything that could backlash on either VAF or RF. I apologize most deeply for the misunderstanding.

T-shirt idea dropped

I have been (very respectfully) asked to drop this effort, and I am happy to do so. That is why I asked opinions before actually just putting up a site making the shirts available.

Thanks for the quick answers on whether this was worth doing or not!

My version

This is what I sent earlier tonight:

Greetings,

I just ran across the story of the threats of patent lawsuit your company has apparently used against the guys at Runway Finder and Sky Vector.

I will never, ever buy something from a patent troll, and will enthusiastically share the story with all of my friends. The fact that the USPTO allowed a patent on this obvious technology is laughable, absurd, and shameful.

This story seems to be yet another data point in the case for extreme software patent reform.

Another software guy fed up with this nonsense,
Paul Zaremba

Science and technology are not advanced if the 'invention' is completely obvious to any person 'having ordinary skill in the art'. If what FP did was so ingenious that it deserved a patent, how did Dave, working on his own in his spare time easily develop a competing product? Not only he, but Skyvector, Navmonster, etc.

You see, it's not about inventing anything. This is all like the Homestead Act with people rushing to scoop up obvious patents. FP didn't invent on-line flight planning. Heck, they weren't even the first.

This bears repeating. It would appear that the USPTO is woefully lacking in their ability to judge what someone 'having ordinary skill in the art' is capable of imagining and implementing.

Last edited:
This bears repeating. It would appear that the USPTO is woefully lacking in their ability to judge what someone 'having ordinary skill in the art' is capable of imagining and implementing.
That's because the people who work at the USPTO are people who didn't have any ordinary skills in any of the arts. They're not qualified to judge the patents they see on a daily basis, they're evaluating them from the point of the lowest common denominator.

Back