What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet removal aid

painless

Well Known Member
I was looking through a pile of old SportAviation magazines and stumbled upon this article submitted by a Joe Norris in the April 2010 edition. I feel bad for all you folks that have several rivets to drill out, so I hope this helps. Sorry about the sideways upload. Perhaps the moderators can straighten them out?

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

Here are the right-side-up images.

Attachments

• IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2170.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 134
Practice -practice - practice

+1 Excellent Video from Scott. I also commented on this in YT. Just don't put some tool on a universal rivet head and expect perfect results. The OP is an excellent example of DYI tool that can be customized for small spaces and angle drills. Thanks.

Where you are on the plane, length of the rivet, and what tool you have are all important. I think, good lighting and progressive checks will refine your results.

Like an all perfect RV landings, the situations dictate minute adjustment of the parameters for unique execution for each type of rivet.

wirejock made some special back-up tools which I have honored by duplication for punch out.

Practice -practice - practice. Centering, tool control, punch out.

Back