What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RH control stick installation

Kiwi.Paul

I'm New Here
Hi guys
I’m thinking about welding the removable RH control stick to the bracket making it one piece like the LH side.
Any reason not to?
How much time do you really spend upside down under the panel that would warrant making it removable for the extra room
Fixing it would also remove the requirement to have a disconnect for grip wireing on that side.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm under the panel a couple of times a year - certainly for the condition inspection, and often for other reasons. I like being able to remove the upper portion of the right stick to facilitate climbing down into the floorboards...

Stick

Two separate issues.
The wire may not need a disconnect if you don't see a need to completely remove it.
The ability to release the stick to gain a little room is a plus. The stick can be pulled and layed down beside while working.

I've been under the panel quite a while trying to finish.
Funny, I could easily remove it, but I fit between the sticks so I don't bother. I feel kinda silly now.

Now the fuel selector? I wish I could make that easy to remove. Even with a home made pad it still kills my back.

I typically remove it when I know my passage has no interests in manipulating the controls. It makes flights much more enjoyable for them not having to worry about bumping the stick. It also allows you to secure larger items in the seat without interfering with the controls.

Last edited:
I made my co-pilot control stick completely and easily removable with a telescoping tubing button. The control stick on the right is normally stowed behind the seat. It is rarely connected, since most of my passengers don't want to have it in their way. All of the controls on the grip are connected automatically when the stick is in place via an internal D-sub connector that is epoxied in place on both parts. As others have said, you want it removable in order to get your body down under the panel for maintenance.

Lots of photos of what I did with the stick are here:
https://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project/Wiring/Flaps-and-Trim

My -6 first flew in 2007 and I've been under the panel countless times since then. Not having a removable RH stick would have made that chore SO much more difficult.

Sooner or later, you'll be upgrading the panel. Or installing a prototype air conditioner. Or troubleshooting some errant LRU. You'll need that access eventually.

Making a cable disconnect for the passenger PTT is trivial. Search Viking 7-pin connector for a good example: http://www.sourceresearch.com/store1/quickstore.cfm?ProductID=22045&do=detail

Another thing to keep in mind, The pax stick in an RV has been colloquially referred to as the wing removal lever. Chances are slim but fly long enough….
I’ve had people grab it, knock it, push the trim. Even pilots who should know better. Gets you attention cruising at the top of the green arc or faster.
Nowadays I only ever have it installed with a pilot in the seat - that wants to fly - or an instructor for renewals.
My usual (non pilot) copilot is busy on her laptop most of the time we fly too.
That’s hard with a stick there.
Access under the panel or for the master cylinders is obviously a lot easier with one stick out as others have said.
I can’t think of a single reason to make it permanent.

I copied Bruce’s install (#5 above). Thanx Bruce. There will be a time when u need to lay upside down and get under the panel. Pushing a button and removing the stick is awesome. And the few times I remove it I say, Thanx again Bruce!

I'll echo that it needs to be removable.

1) You WILL need to get under that panel. I had a wise builder tell me early on to always be thinking about maintainability down the road. Yeah, you can fit down the middle, but the fuel valve in your back and engine controls in your gut isn't pleasant. It's so much easier with much less cussing to lay on your back on the right side.
2) Inevitably, you will have a plus sized passenger. More than once, beefy thighs have prevented full stick travel and the stick had to come out.
3) If you ever have a passenger that's too young to comprehend that actions have consequences--some of them very bad--then you may want that stick out. This isn't a video game.
4) It's not hard to make the stick removable, but look at Van's SB on this. I got a simple "tent pole" spring button that fits up in the stick so the stick can easily be removed with one hand, yet it can't be inadvertently pulled out. The wiring connects with a coil cord (like a phone cord for my generation) via a Cannon plug. Again, it's easily disconnected. It takes all of ten second to go in or out with the whole enchilada. There are many innovative people here with creative solutions on how this can be done.

Of course, you can do however you would like. But I think the collective VAF trust is giving you good advice.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Try this with a stick in the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 41
Nowadays I only ever have it installed with a pilot in the seat - that wants to fly - or an instructor for renewals.
My usual (non pilot) copilot is busy on her laptop most of the time we fly too.
That’s hard with a stick there.
Access under the panel or for the master cylinders is obviously a lot easier with one stick out as others have said.
I can’t think of a single reason to make it permanent.

Yup, same here plus I fly alone 95% of the time so second stick not required.

Never once removed mine.

I also recently got my CFI and have been flying from the right seat since December. Don't want to go back now. haha

co-pilot PTT

Fixing it would also remove the requirement to have a disconnect for grip wireing on that side.
It doesn't have to be on the stick - I put a momentary contact toggle switch on the panel, where the co-pilot / passenger can reach it.
I concur with others who say, keep it removable.

Attachments

• copilot_ptt.jpg
    copilot_ptt.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 31
I carried 2 cases of oil home from OSH this year. They rode on the pax seat, so the stick came out. I have quick disconnects on the PTT wires.

It doesn't have to be on the stick - I put a momentary contact toggle switch on the panel, where the co-pilot / passenger can reach it.
I concur with others who say, keep it removable.

I did the same on the 10. IMHO, you WANT that stick removable. Passengers rarely use the PTT and not a major incovenience to use the PTT on the panel. Actually beneficial so they don;'t move the stick.

I also in the 15 years I've flown my RV-7 have removed the C/P stick countless times.
Bruce, originally my C/P stick had an internal electrical disconnect for just a push to talk connection. Later I added trim etc and use a 9 pin Dsub external near the base of the knuckle. Can you explain the process of how you epoxy these inside the yoke and stick for good mating?

Rocky

I made my co-pilot control stick completely and easily removable with a telescoping tubing button. The control stick on the right is normally stowed behind the seat. It is rarely connected, since most of my passengers don't want to have it in their way. All of the controls on the grip are connected automatically when the stick is in place via an internal D-sub connector that is epoxied in place on both parts. As others have said, you want it removable in order to get your body down under the panel for maintenance.

Lots of photos of what I did with the stick are here:
https://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project/Wiring/Flaps-and-Trim
You did a wonderful job on the RH control stick and the wiring in general...Very Nice!

Back