What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RAM Ball Mount Location

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
I'd like to move that Ram ball mount from down low up to that more user-friendly higher locatin, as shown in the pic. But, I'm hesitant to drill holes in that triangular webbing. I worry about compromising structural strength if I do that. Are my concerns unnecessary?

Thanks in advance,
Randy
rammount.jpg

Here’s how I mounted mine. The four 8-32 screws serve as a pilot to keep it centered in the large center hole,with an 1/8” round steel ring/washer slightly larger than the hole with threads taped for the 8-32 screws. With offset of the ram mount it rotates in the large lightning hole giving great adjustability.
112F47FF-64FC-4B60-9442-324D721F6A9C.jpeg

I used the double stick pad attachment and stuck it to the side of the inside glare shield/exterior body right above and forward of that triangle. It works great and is well out of the way but useful too.

Ok, because I found .02 inches (very thin) and .04 inches (still sounds thin to me)...and sorry, I not a metric guy, can't relate much to millimeters.

I am using RAM's magnetic mount in that basic area in my -9A (on the left side). Seems to work fine holding my iPad Mini and stays in place, unless I bump it with my knee getting into the plane. So far, it stays put in turbulence. I've been using it this way for a tad over a year.

It looks the same as your current mount, but magnetic.

Back