What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions on RV-4 vs. RV-8

J5Cub

For personal reasons I am unable to build right now so I had been looking for a finished RV8. I have been unable to find anything that suits my needs but have noticed several RV4s that are for sale which seem pretty reasonable. So, here are my questions.

I want the RV8 for short cross country trips (less than 400 miles), local short flights, and occasional mild aerobatics. I know the RV4 is good for aerobatics but how about cross country trips? Most of the time by myself but occasionally with a passenger. What would I really be giving up by getting the RV4 first? I am 6'1" tall and weigh around 195# and am about average build.

I was thinking about purchasing an RV4 and then I could fly it until I have the time to build an RV8 and equip it like I would like.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg

4 vs. 8

J5Cub said:
...I want the RV8 for short cross country trips (less than 400 miles), local short flights, and occasional mild aerobatics. I know the RV4 is good for aerobatics but how about cross country trips? Most of the time by myself but occasionally with a passenger. What would I really be giving up by getting the RV4 first? ...
The main thing you would be giving up by getting the 4 is a larger dent in your bank account. Pricing on a nice 4 seems to be many 10s of thousands less than a nice 8.

I have a friend that flew his 4 from Texas to Europe, all around Europe, and down to central Africa. He has extra fuel tanks, and he flew all these trips with his wife. Actually, she flew half the time since she's also IFR rated.

There's not a lot of room for stuff when you have two people on board, but the 4 gets the job done.

My son and I just got back from 2.6 hours in my 4 and I feel great. This morning I shot two practice approaches to minimums, flew the Red River down low, landed Altus and refueled and got my son back in time to play a football game. No sweat.

I have flown my 4 from Columbus, Ohio to Lubbock, Texas and felt better than I do after just 3 hours in my Cardinal.

My wife is 5'5" 120lbs. and feels like she has tons of room back there. I'm 5'11" 188 lbs. I've flown passengers as big as 6'2" 235. They had a tight fit, but the plane flew great and handled normal sport aerobatics perfectly. It flies completely differently loaded that way compared to solo, but no problems just different.

My mission profile is pretty identical to yours. It is an absolutely wonderful cross country plane. But then again I consider myself a minimalist. I like 3 wt. fly rods and 28 gauge shotguns. I like getting more out of less. BTW, I burned 6.8 gph last tank.

I have not flown an 8, but those who have I've spoken to love it, but... they say the 4 flies sweeter. After having flown my 4 so much, I think I'd be disappointed in any other Vans... including the 8. If the company ever came out with a QB matched hole kit for the 4, I'd probably build another one.

I'm browsing for a -4 right now too but saw a flying -8 on barnstormers today that is priced lower than most I've seen. Just search rv-8 and it will probably be the first one up.

Mike

Thanks for all the responses. The RV4 is definetely smaller but the dimensions don't look like it is bad as I was lead to believe.

Procoach,

I especially appreciate your prespective. I have read that the RV3 is the best handling RV of all and that the RV4 is very close. I have been told the RV8 feels heavier but not having any experience in the RV4 it would probably feel great to me since I fly a PA12 now. It sounds like I would be satisfied with the RV4 especially for the vast majority of the time that I fly alone.

rv8ch,

Do you know how your friend added fuel capacity? I did find one RV4 that had 60 gallons of fuel. They added fuel tanks aft of the normal tanks to increase the fuel capacity so CG with baggage and passenger could be a concern?

mandm1516,

I saw that RV8 and although not exactly what I am looking for if it is well built and clean it would be worth it. Unfortunately I have already spent $1500 chasing an RV8 that was misrepresented so I am a bit gun shy about traveling that far to see another one.

Thanks again,
Greg

Greg,
From what you describe about yourself and the mission you want for your airplane a -4 should do the job very well indeed. Both my son and I have -4's and we do a lot of cross country such as you describe. Recently we both flew our -4's from Vancouver, WA (near Portland,OR.) to Prescott AZ, then on to Fullerton, CA (L.A. area). and back home with no problems. In addition to saving many thousands of dollars over an -8 you do give up a bit of panel room as well as elbow room for those of you that are of larger build.

Let me be perfectly clear that this is not a bash -8's session. I am 5'10" and about 210. My son is 6'1" and about 220 and the -4 works great. For people much larger or those that want a tandum to build the -8 would be my choice because it is available in a quick build. The -4 would take much longer to build all things being equal. But, as you have noticed, there are a lot more already built -4 available and at reasonable prices.

Also, just because the -4 has a bit more limited space doesn't mean it is not acceptable. You simply get more creative in where you put things. For long cross country trips I make strip notes of frequencies that I can fold and slip into my shirt pocket just as one example. Panel space requires more creative planning but is sufficient to get just about anything you might need into it. I have mounted my GPS on the fuel selector panel with a couuple of arms that put it just below the isnturment panel. This gives me a host of information at my finger tips.

Again, not to bash -8's, but the 4's are a bit quicker on the same HP and therefore get a bit more miles per gallon. From what you describe, I think you would be very happy with a -4.

Tom

My two cents on the -4

I bought a -4 flying but not finished. I flew it from the west coast to Tennessee. I love the airplane, I am five eight and have no problems at all. I replaced my instrument panel and added two inches to it and I have room for a 296 right in the center with a full set of instruments, gps/comm and transponder. I also added a TruTrak autopilot (which is the best money I have spent on it) and have flown it all over the U.S.. :)

Buy a RV-4 and fly

J5Cub said:
I was thinking about purchasing an RV4 and then I could fly it until I have the time to build an RV8 and equip it like I would like.

Thanks in advance for your input. Greg
If you want to fly and not build right now, the RV-4 is a fantastic plane. Personally I like the RV4 better in looks and I like the feel better. Don't get me wrong the RV-8 is a great plane, but the RV-4 rocks.

Yes the cockpit is smaller but Richard VanGrunsven (Van) is +6 footer on the slender side. He designed it for him. Height is not an issue. Its the "Bubba factor" or gerth issue. 400 mile X-C is well within the RV-4 range. I flew mine from Seattle to Phoenix regualarly with one stop. You'll be quite comfortable.

On Barnstormer's a few months ago I saw a beautiful RV-4 sell for $60K very nice with 180HP/ C/S prop, nice paint, interior, panel, latest options (fairings & cowl) and looked well built. A RV-8 like that would be +$90K. The nice thing is even a 150/160HP, wood prop RV-4 flys very nice, and you could get it for way less than $60K. The only negative is you may have too much fun to ever stop flying to build. :D

Last edited:
Not to change the subject but I was just thinking. Is there someplace on this website that lists the location of the members? It would be nice if there were some way of contacting members to solicit (for a modest fee) their assistance in looking at and maybe taking pictures of RVs for sale at a distance.

There is what sounds like a nice RV4 for sale down by Orlando Florida but after getting burned on the RV8 in Kansas I am reluctant to spend the money and time to go see it. Sure would be nice to be able to get an independent assessment of condition before traveling.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Good question--I don't know the answer about where to find members, but if you're looking at an RV in Florida, one of the members here, Smokeyray (who will probably chime in soon) lives in Florida and posted a note that he's starting a business helping others buy and sell RVs now that he's retiring from flying F-16s. I e-mailed him a few times, good guy and has helped something like 12 others get RVs. Here's the message he posted on the main Vansairforce.net site:

New RV Business Opened: "R2 Aviation"
...sent in by the Prez, Rob 'Smokey' Ray
Mission Statement: "To help people realize their dreams..."
Ok, realistically what I truly enjoy is helping people get involved in RV flying either by giving them a ride or encouraging them to expand their horizons. Over the past 10 years I have helped several of my friends find, inspect and aquire RV type aircraft for their personal use. Having an ANG flying job and a full time Commercial flying job limited my time. However, retirement from the ANG approaches which allows me to spend a bit more time on what I enjoy. I am a licensed A&P and FAA aircraft broker and built my RV4 and helped on several other RV projects.
R2's main mission is to help recommend a potential aircraft to prospective buyers, or help sell an RV/Rocket/Experimental-X as the case may be. So far in the past 5 years I have located and happily connected 10 RV's with potetial customers and helped sell 4 RV's, just doing this as a hobby. Hopefully, with more time to devote to my hobby, I can help a lot more potential RV buyers realize their dreams..
Rob Ray
R2 Aviation Prez...
[email protected]

Mike

J5Cub said:
There is what sounds like a nice RV4 for sale down by Orlando Florida ...

Rick (at the buffalo farm) Gray may have some knowlegde of this one. Then again it could be a different one... FL is a big state. His website is http://rv6rick.tripod.com/ohiovalleyrvators/

Rick may have more than one good trait :D but the one I know about is his knowledge of RVs. He'd be a good contact for you.

RV White Pages

You want to look at the RV White Pages on the left side of the main VAF home page. There you'll find a pretty extensive listing of builders.

Paul

deja vu...

I think we had a long discussion a while back about how to buy a used RV. One thing that you want to do is get pictures, make phone calls and maybe even negotiate a price BEFORE you travel any distance to go look at one.

When I bought my 4, I was talking to a guy in Chicago about his 4 ( I am in New Hampshire ). We went over all the RV 4 hotspots (elevator cracking, engine mounts, slosh in the tanks etc.) and then moved on to price.

I was serious about the plane but felt it was priced $10k too high. So, I made an offer I thought was reasonable for the plane (note: I still haven't even seen it yet). The buyer felt he was into the plane for the higher price and didn't want to lose money. I felt the price was too high for the market.
Unfortunately, we were unable to close the gap and that deal fell through.

But in the end, I was only out some emails, some time and a few long distance phone calls and so was he. No harm done......

John

John_RV4 said:
I think we had a long discussion a while back about how to buy a used RV. One thing that you want to do is get pictures, make phone calls and maybe even negotiate a price BEFORE you travel any distance to go look at one.

John

Hi John,

I did just as you said, had pictures sent, had long phone calls, emails about condition and issues and had agreed on a price. The pictures were slightly out of focus and staged to not show flaws (claimed he wasn't good with camera) and every question I asked about anything specific he answered more or less honestly.

Unfortunately he would not honestly answer general questions like is there anything wrong with the airplane or that needed to be addressed. I did not ask him if there were any poorly repaired cracks in the skin, if the canopy frame was severely corroded, if the 100 hrs since "new" ECI engine had such a bad leak that it took a significant amount of JB weld on the seam (and 1" each side) where the sump mates to the engine, and that although he didn't have any leaks in the fuel tanks the fuel caps had been leaking and the top of the left wing was covered with fuel stains. He never could explain the fuel stains on the bottom of that wing. There were many more issues with the fiberglass work and with some bondo (or epoxy filler) that had been slapped on the top of the left wing.

I guess that I should have purchased a round trip ticket but I thought I would trust him and went with a one way. After the disappointment of seeing the airplane I had to pay top dollar to get home (the airlines love those last minute travelers) along with a hotel at the airport. Very disappointing. I was just thinking that it would be nice to have a 3rd party give an honest assessment of the overall condition before I went again.

I really appreciate everyones thoughts. I really am learning a lot from the discussion and it looks like I need to find out more about the RV4s weak spots before I go much further.

Greg

Great Idea

J5Cub said:
Not to change the subject but I was just thinking. Is there someplace on this website that lists the location of the members? It would be nice if there were some way of contacting members to solicit (for a modest fee) their assistance in looking at and maybe taking pictures of RVs for sale at a distance.

There is what sounds like a nice RV4 for sale down by Orlando Florida but after getting burned on the RV8 in Kansas I am reluctant to spend the money and time to go see it. Sure would be nice to be able to get an independent assessment of condition before traveling.

Greg
That is a great Idea, may I suggest you start a thread, and ask for help. Getting a person that's willing, knowledgeable and has the critical eye may be hard, but agree with you a PPI (pre purchase inspection) is a must.

You may want a A&P to look at the engine and logs. We are all amateurs and not building for a profit. I'm sure there are some RV'ers that can give it a good once over opinon, but just know what you are getting. One of my RV's I sold, was bought sight unseen (pictures, one phone call and a transfer of a big deposit). I was also paid to fly coast to coast to deliver it. They got a good deal.

I bought a twin, put a deposit on it and flew down commercial to pick it up. The closing of the sale was contingent on a morning once over by the seller and I, compression test and one flight. I flew the wings off that plane for two years and it was a wounderful experience. I sold it for a little more than what I paied for it, without any major PPI needed by the buyer. I was lucky.

It depends how much risk you want to take. You sound like you are not in the mood for risk. On the other hand the PPI is as good as what you pay for it. I am looking for a PPI on a Porsche and find many mechanics don't do a very detailed inspection or lack knowledge of the common issues and really do somewhat superficial checks. I don't need to pay $200 to check the fluids and tire pressure.

If I was doing RV PPI's for hire, I am not but if I did, it would be 8-10 hours commitment, not a tire kick and once a round the pattern thing. It would basically be a condition inspection, include flying it, log book review, removing most panels & fairing, compression test, oil sample & filter cut open if practical or able. That would be what I would want at minimum. That of course will be more than a $100 PPI.

A quickie airframe check, is it airworthy, would I fly it, not necessarily buy it, would be easy, be we all know the engine/prop are big ticket items and need a close look. Also a AD check is key. Experimental is one thing, but I want to know the outstanding Engine/Carb/Accessory level of compliance. For one thing it gives you leverage to make a lower offer.

I just talked to a guy who will remain nameless, who bought a show winner RV with a newly overhauled 200 hr engine a few years back. The engine was indeed just rebuilt in the last 200 hours by a very popular and reputable engine builder (not mentioned). Not long after he bought it, it was making metal. Further looking and tear down showed cam, lifter, cylinder and crank problems, some serious. He was able to get the engine builder to supply new parts. He was lucky in that. This guy who bought this RV is very sharp about engines, more than I am, but he still got a lemon. May be the seller did not know?

Unless you do some real looking there can be gotchas. I would hate to let someone down with a PPI by missing something critical. That's why I would not get into business doing it. However if someone wants my 1 hour tire kicking opinion locally, I would do it for free if I have the time.

It really has to do with the sellers integrity and knowledge. These are experimental planes built by amateurs. Buyer beware. Good Luck :D

Last edited:
Back