What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: How many hours on the RV aircraft that you fly?

How many hours are on the RV that you fly?

• Total voters

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
This is a poll to determine the number of hours on the Van's RV aircraft fleet.

How many hours are on the RV aircraft that you fly?

Last edited:
OK Condor…how do you want me to answer…total for all three RV’s? Happy to contribute to your data collection, just want it to be useful….. otherwise, I’ll have to user SuperModerator powers to answer multiple times….. ;)

Well, none.... it hasn't flown yet. And I bet I speak for quite a few of us right now.

Dave
Oh, yeah, it's an RV-3B, but I meant generally, not just specific to the -3.

OK Condor…how do you want me to answer…total for all three RV’s? Happy to contribute to your data collection, just want it to be useful….. otherwise, I’ll have to user SuperModerator powers to answer multiple times….. ;)

Pick one. I would use the one with the most time on.

Gary, I have compiled the production reports from Vans back to near the beginning in a spreadsheet. It also includes previous VAF surveys for hours per year. You are welcome to take and use to calculate the total RV fleet information. The RV7 portion is included and tech remainder can be projected based on reported first flights.

RV7 total fleet alone estimated to be over 2.2M hours.

Last edited:
Gary, I have compiled the production reports from Vans back to near the beginning in a spreadsheet. It also includes previous VAF surveys for hours per year. You are welcome to take and use to calculate the total RV fleet information. The RV7 portion is included and tech remainder can be projected based on reported first flights.

RV7 total fleet alone estimated to be over 2.2M hours.

The other thread on most hours on an RV got we thinking and wanted to know the spread of hours over the entire fleet.

I tend to share maintenance issues / aging issues I have and hope others do also as hours on the fleet goes up.

I feel my answer is not helping much as I can almost click the next box! I am at 958 hours.. I think you should have had a couple smaller time boxes! :)

I’m not sure it’s useful to include “0” in the first option. Maybe it should be 1-999hrs to eliminate those still building, or better yet, 1-500 and 501-999

Bevan

Hours on aircraft

I know that Rosie beats all of us at 5000 hours, but I'm trying to catch up at 3450 hours.
:D

I’m not sure it’s useful to include “0” in the first option. Maybe it should be 1-999hrs to eliminate those still building, or better yet, 1-500 and 501-999

Bevan

I debated how to bracket the numbers. I agree 1 would have been better but the question was for "... that you fly?"

Was hoping to find info that would show a bracket that most RV aircraft fell in and a percentage that would be considered high time.

As of today, it appears that ~85% have less than 2,000 hours and between 4% and 5% have more than 3,000 hours.

I encourage all the guys with more than 3,000 hours to report to the community maintenance issue that they experience. Van's have issued service bulletins on areas that they have found that could use improvement and I say thank you.

As of today, my RV-6 appears to be in the top 5% of high usage RV aircraft according to this poll. Before this poll, I was thinking I may be in the top 10% to 15%.

In retirement, my flying hours are dropping. Before retirement, I was thinking my flying would stay the same. I have enough retirement income to maintain the previous flying hours. I need to fly more.

Back