What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH First Timer

acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
My flying schedule has worked out and I am planning on heading to OSH for the first time. I am planning on flying into ORD Monday am (airline pass travel willing) and have rented a mini van. I going to camp in the mini van at Camp Scholler for 3 nights and then head home Thursday. This hopefully will give me at least 2 1/2 days at the show. From what I have read there is always space at Camp Scholler but you may be way in the back. I'm hesitant to purchase anything until I'm on a flight to ORD. Once I land I will buy the camping and show tickets online and be ready when I arrive at OSH. I am going to pack an inflatable mattress, sleeping bag, etc. Curious of anything else I may need to think about from people who have done this type of camping. I do not plan to check a bag so my space will be limited. Any other info or tips for a first times would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

Since you are past the time when they can mail you the camping credentials and the wrist bands, buying online won't really save you any time. You'll still have to check in at the entrance, get your online purchase confirmed and wrist bands, camping credentials, etc.

Make sure you bring good walking shoes, sunscreen, and bug repellent. I walk 10-15 miles a day while I'm there.

Other than that, enjoy! Camping is the best way to attend IMHO. I can't imagine dealing with the traffic in and out of the show every day. Of course, I use the term camping loosely, I use a 40ft 5th wheel with a ceiling fan and fireplace :cool:

Camping

Camping at Rellumdats across from the Ultralight Red Barn is much closer than Scholler. Get your pass at the Red Barn and then the tram to center of activities.

You will need a towel(s) & soap for the shower. A Rolled towel can also serve as a pillow. A pair of cheap shower thongs. During your first day at the show you can probably pick up a free shopping bag for carrying stuff too & fro the showers.
Since you will have your own transportation there are box stores / grocery stores nearby where you can pick up an inexpensive throw-away foam cooler if desired. Although it will probably require daily ice replenishment. There is a beer tent with nightly music alongside West Waukau Ave. About 1/4 mile straight West of the Control Tower. They also have sandwiches, sweet corn, etc.
Bandaids or athletic tape for hot spots on your feet.

OSH Stuff

Already mentioned, but Sunscreen and comfortable walking shoes (the 15 mi/day is not a stretch). Once you're in your van, stop at a Walmart or similar and pickup an inexpensive cooler (and ice) and a folding camp chair. The latter will get use watching airshows and hanging out with camping neighbors. One of your neighbors will be glad to receive the donation if you don't want to haul them home. There's a nearby Walmart, but stopping before getting to Oshkosh reduces the chance that they'll be sold out (tens of thousands of others converging on the same location, potentially with similar needs). Other stuff to bring or pick up:

Hat

Towel

Shower shoes (flip-flops or similar)

Raingear of some sort--poncho, lightweight rainsuit etc... Trekking to/from the shower or bathroom can get unpleasant in the rain

Bottled water and other "beverages" you might want--nice to have when you get back to your site after a long day

Both food and beverages are available for purchase on-site of course, plus off-site restaurants. There is a also small "general store", but we usually like to have some breakfast stuff on hand at the campsite.

Things to leave at home: Checkbook (reduces, somewhat, the odds of the trip getting really expensive because you bought a new plane on a whim) :)

Have fun!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm taking notes. A lot of small things I haven't thought of. Please keep them coming thanks.

Supplies

Try to pick up all needed supplies in Fond du Lac. Walmart on the north side just west of the highway.
I used to drive to Fondy early in the morning for breakfast and then a real shower at a truck stop a couple miles south of the Fondy airport.

The bus park also has a shuttle that runs to Target and the Pick ‘n Save grocery store. Watch the forecast— if it looks rainy a 2nd pair of shoes is a good idea. Anything you don’t want to get wet I’d stick in a garbage bag or leave in your vehicle.

A light jacket or hoody and even sweats can be nice after the sun goes down.

The bus park also has a shuttle that runs to Target

Can you elaborate on this one? I have always taken a bus to the hole in the fence and walked all the way there. There is one that goes all the way to the store?

Can you elaborate on this one? I have always taken a bus to the hole in the fence and walked all the way there. There is one that goes all the way to the store?

Target Shuttle Bus:
Friday 7/21 through Sunday 7/30: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Stops: Bus Park, Red One Market West, Target Entrance

We’ve taken it a number of times. Not exactly the fastest way, but it can take some of the walking out.

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/transportation

Thanks for that! Should make beer runs a bit less tiring haha

For beer runs, grab a card from the Kobussen kiosk. Saturday and earlier, take the bus to target and call them when you’re ready to leave. They will pick you up at target in a van and take you directly to your campsite for a reasonable fee.

Hey Dennis,
I am so jealous of you ;) I wish I can go this year as well.
Have fun, make many pictures and hope to hear from you lots of great Osh stories when you pass by my hangar the next time :)

Last edited:
For beer runs, grab a card from the Kobussen kiosk. Saturday and earlier, take the bus to target and call them when you’re ready to leave. They will pick you up at target in a van and take you directly to your campsite for a reasonable fee.

Even better, thanks Kyle!

If you're not big on walking, OSH makes you so.

Consider a small container of vasilene for the "chaff" areas just below the belt

:D

BP

The BP gas station over by Friar Tucks is mucho closer than Target/Pic-n-Save if you're only going on a beer run.

The BP gas station over by Friar Tucks is mucho closer than Target/Pic-n-Save if you're only going on a beer run.

I usually combine it with dinner but good to know!

OP, if you find yourself getting tired of the hustle and bustle of the show and just want to get out to somewhat normalcy and better dinner options get on a bus by the North 40 and tell the bus driver to stop at the fence gate (they almost always will anyway). Walk across the street and you have the Mineshaft restaurant which is awesome, Mexican, fast food, etc. Keep walking North and you get to more restaurants and Target (just off-screen in the pic I attached). The hole in the fence is right where that T is on trunk 44.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 68
toll road scams

Watch out for the toll roads in Chicago.

There seem to be two options:

1) pay a daily toll road fee to the car rental agency;
2) somehow create an account on the toll road website and pay there.

Last year is was not possible to pay at the toll both - they were unmanned.

The daily fee would be great if you stay in Chicago, but since you will probably not, it could get a bit expensive.

I could not create an account on the toll road website, could not find a way to pay the bill in time, and then I got hit with a bunch of "fines" by the car rental agency (Fox).

Next time I'll use a more reputable car company like Hertz or Avis or just avoid toll roads.

The daily fee would be great if you stay in Chicago, but since you will probably not, it could get a bit expensive.

I could not create an account on the toll road website, could not find a way to pay the bill in time, and then I got hit with a bunch of "fines" by the car rental agency (Fox).

Next time I'll use a more reputable car company like Hertz or Avis or just avoid toll roads.

You think that is bad, try living here! I live off a mini expressway that is 8 miles long. Almost $3 to drive the full 8 miles. I suspect an air tax in the near future for those seeking the luxury of breathing. Possible they will go green instead and just charge a tax for each cubic foot of CO2 that you exhale. Illinois has become very expensive lately.

Last edited:
Light weight backpack (day pack). Keeps the hands free so you can pick up more to buy.....:D

Hygienic pads (aka baby wipes) to keep in your backpack along with bug spray, sunblock, bottle of water, and a snack.

I bring my sunpass transponder form home (Florida) The "PRO" version works in IL. That way I don't have to pay the higher fees through the rental company.

My advice for packing...keep it simple and light. My first trim ever to Airventure was tacked onto a business trip I had to make in MN. In addition to all my tools and PPE needed for work, I brought a big plastic storage bin + a military sized duffle full of camping stuff all as checked luggage. I was in a car so I included a tent. Also I was there for a week so that made a difference too....still, I over packed and had way to much stuff to deal with through the airports... I think I bought a disposable styrofoam cooler in Oshkosh...I even brought a little camp stove if I recall correctly (or maybe I bought a cheap throw away grille?) and cooked some of my meals. It was all great ...nice to have stuff at the tent...but if I were doing it over again I'd keep it much simpler and just plan on eating what I could scrounge up.

Back