What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH’24 Field Reports (PIREPs / News / Pics .... post your OSH reports here!)

THE OSHKOSH SPIRIT

Traveled to Oshkosh in my RV-8 with my brother Mike for the first time in three years. This was my tenth Airventure flying-in over a span of 19 years operating my RV-8 and the first time I encountered a few “issues” with the plane.

Early morning departure from my home field at Aero Valley (52F) was smooth with ceilings about 5,500 ft. for the first leg to SkyHaven (KRMC) about halfway to KOSH.

1%20First%20Stop%20KRCM-M.jpg

On the way to Skyhaven at 176 knots ground speed

2%20Panel%20Lt%20side%20to%20RCM-M.jpg

3%20Panel%20right%20side%20to%20RCM-M.jpg

All the numbers look good

4%20Sat%20Morn%20clouds%20first%20leg-M.jpg

Ceiling 5,500 ft

The second leg was intended to be direct to Oshkosh and we were on pace to beat the 1:00 p.m. mass arrival of Bonanzas when I changed channel on my old Garmin GNC 250XL and the mechanical tuning knob just spun and spun. Not being able to change frequencies was not going to work for the Fisk arrival.

So a detour to non-controlled Iowa City Airport (KIOW) in the hope of finding someone there with the very small Allen wrench I needed to fix the radio knob. Probably the smallest Allen wrench size there is.

5%20Iowa%20City-M.jpg

Iowa City Airport FBO

I kept remembering what I used to tell others, “Don’t worry. It’s Oshkosh, it will all work out.” Sure enough the young man on duty at the front desk and the one in the back office scrounged the maintenance boxes and voila – a tiny Allen wrench. The fix was done and onward. Thank you, Iowa City Airport. (Note: small Allen wrench is the next purchase for my trip emergency kit.)

6%20Iowa%20City%20Ramp-M.jpg

On the ramp at Iowa City Airport

Now, we had just missed the window before a mass arrival – the “conga line” into KOSH filled the entire screen of my Aera 660. So another divert to Baraboo, The Dells (KDLL) for fuel. The FBO was providing a free lunch so’s all is good. Nice, friendly place that I’ll plan to visit again.

The Green Lake Arrival was being used and now that the Bonanzas had landed, the arrival was one of the least stressful I can remember. Runway 27, Green Dot, and park in row 357 right near Homebuilders Headquarters. Perfect.

I spent much of the show relaxing in a comfy lawn chair provided by brother Mike (see pic of Mike demonstrating the chair) next to my RV and chatting with people who had questions about their own RV-8 build. Frankly, I love this more than the events at the show.

[/url]
These air shows are intense 😊

My view of the flightline

[url=https://chrispratt.smugmug.com/VAF-Postings/i-2cbnbNj/A][/url
]
And another view

It’s a tradition to visit the Sisters of the Sacred Heart concession stand – I recommend the brats

Visitors from Argentina, France, Germany, New Zealand, and South Africa stopped by including two (they came at separate times) who were 6’ 4” and wanted to know if they would fit in an RV-8. So I told them to “get in” and try it. Definitely not going to fit in my RV-8, designed for my 5’ 9” frame and I told them to order the tall man seat option and to tell the interior maker their height so the cushion would be accordingly. They were really grateful for the demo.

Not any breakthrough RV-related events at the show, but just had to go slightly off script here to show a pic of the amazing P-38 two-thirds replica displayed near the Brown Arch. Incredible. An RV build is a piece-of-cake by comparison.

Can you imagine building this 2/3 scale flyable P-38? I could’ve built 4 RVs during that time.

Homeward bound on Thursday. Taxied out to Runway 18 which made it the quickest I have ever gotten out of Oshkosh. Between startup and takeoff was maybe ten minutes tops. Sweet.

Nice weather departing KOSH

Homeward bound with my brother Mike in back

My second issue for the trip was a mechanical challenge landing back at RCMP. I had replaced the tail wheel locking pin and spring before departing to Oshkosh. No problem on the four landings up to KOSH but the return landing at KRCM the pin would not engage and tailwheel free-castoring on touchdown at landing. That will get your attention. Again, the Oshkosh spirit came through and the folks at the FBO for University of Central Missouri helped with some tools, supplies and transport that got me back in the air quickly. Further analysis to follow.

Home again at 52F, safe and sound. Great trip. Wonderful people. Magic machine.

Time to relax with my new friend made during the trip 😊. Till next year. Cheers.

Chris

Back