What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No Wonder People Bash RV's

#1 These airplanes and pilots are "tested" quite a bit before competition, but are by their very nature, on the edge. Nobody would watch a bunch of "perfectly safe" 172's dicing for position on the course

#2 The "public" are there willingly. They put themselves in harms way with eyes wide open.

For #1 - it appears from the reports that the crash P-51 was picked up from the modifier just before Reno, and had never flown that fast before.

I realize the bit about "on the edge" but F1 race cars get proven and tested in private.

If these planes are Experimental how do they get around the Phase I testing bit? Does Reno count as a Phase I test area during the races?

It sounds like the FAA could easily require more testing under the "Experimental - Racing" certificate after major changes -

http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/experimental-flight-test.html

New Program Letters (http://www.faa-aircraft-certification.com/support-files/sample-program-letter.pdf) seem to be needed after any major change.

I hope this is implemented...:)

If these planes are Experimental how do they get around the Phase I testing bit? Does Reno count as a Phase I test area during the races?

Gil, I can only speak from my experience this year. In my case (new prop and new rudder/VS), my Phase I testing and logbook entries had to be complete before race week began. My home (RNO) FSDO rep, who was the lead operations FSDO rep at the races, told me ahead of time to have all testing done by Saturday (the day before warm-ups began and the waiver went into effect), or I would not be allowed to fly.

I believe that would apply to all race classes, though as I said, that is just related from my individual experience. There is a bit of test flying done during the race week from time to time, but I don't belive it is Phase I testing. Could be minor tweaks or systems tests or telemetry tests, etc.

All the abover referenced rumors (no slight intended by that word) in earlier posts (insurance, lawsuits, added limitations, course changes, etc) have floated around here as well, but I think that the churn is still so active that I'd be hesitant to make any forecasts. I'm sure many aspects will be scrutinized. Will the spectators be moved? Perhaps, though the local paper ran an article (FWIW) that said the distance from the course well exceeded minimum requirements. Will the course change? Perhaps, but there are limitations and procedures in place that are there specifically for crowd protection. Will inspections be more intense or invasive? Perhaps, but that's not to say thay were lacking in any way (IMHO). They looked my plane over, and those of my competitors and class-mates, pretty darn well.

Big thread drift, but perhaps the experimental nature of the races, and the measures that racers and hosts take to be safe, relates back to the OP. The ability to engage in something as amazing as the Reno Air Races carries with it a responsibilty to do it right.

Perhaps that is not all that different from the responsibilty we have as RV'ers to pursue our passion in a way that reflects well upon our group.

Now I'm no preacher, and I do a lot of fun stuff in my RV. I also realize that perhaps not everyone that bashes RV'ers is being accurate or fair (sure sometimes things get blown up...we'll probably never stop all bad-mouthing).

But if we learn from each other, watch out for each other, and appropriately counsel each other when necessary, I think we go a long way to keeping our reputation solid. There are a ton of very, very good and professional (in all senses of that word) pilots among us, and that is what can shine too.

And maybe give that spam can driver a high five, perhaps compliment them on their plane or their flying, next time ya see him or her too...that does wonders! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
For #1 - it appears from the reports that the crash P-51 was picked up from the modifier just before Reno, and had never flown that fast before...

...But it also seems the aircraft has been in the same configuration for quite some time. The accident aircraft does get trucked all over the place because its total loss cooling system severely restricts the time it can stay airborne, so I think that is the nature of its last time at the mod facility. I think it was reassembly, not a major mod.

At any rate, it is a fine example of perception being more important than fact (how's that for bringing a thread back?). I'd like to see what the facts are before changing the rules of the game.

Back