What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Hartzell props

bmellis11

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Does anyone have a link to or information about the new Hartzell props mentioned in the presentation today (see minute 51 of the recording )? I can't read the slide so well, but it looks interesting.

It says

New Hartzell Propellers

• RV-10 3-Blade Raptor Hub Series
  • New Composite 2 Blade Hartzell 2C1-R419A1Z/75C508-2X1
    • Redesign of the C2YR Aluminum Propeller F7497 blades - Performance Similar
    • New Blade Style - Designed for an RV
    • More efficient that the current 2 blade composite N7605 bladed propeller
    • Van's spinner compatible
    • Weight 37.9 lbs
    • Acceleration on takeoff is amazing

You can find the part number for the Raptor RV-10 prop (which I think is called Explorer) on the Hartzell website here: https://hartzellprop.com/products/kitplanes/kitplane-propellers/ or in their experimental aircraft info manual here: https://hartzellprop.com/EXP-AIRCRAFT/Man-193-Vol-03.pdf
But, I have not seen the Raptor RV-10 prop available from Van's yet.

The 2 blade looks brand new and doesn't appear on Hartzell's site anywhere, yet. Will CG be an issue for heavier RV-10s? The existing 2-blade Hartzell aluminum prop is around 55 lbs, I believe.

I was secretly hoping for a new composite prop that is weight and price competitive with the Whirlwind. :cool:

The 2 blade looks brand new and doesn't appear on Hartzell's site anywhere, yet. Will CG be an issue for heavier RV-10s? The existing 2-blade Hartzell aluminum prop is around 55 lbs, I believe.

I have a lighter -10 (1605 lbs BEW) and cg when I'm solo is near the forward limit. But if I load it to gross, with 90 lbs in the baggage area, my spreadsheet says: (1) an 18 lb lighter prop will move the cg back 1/2". (2) If I use that 18 lbs savings to put anther 18 lbs into the baggage area, cg goes back another 1/2". So yes, I'd say operators need to be mindful of cg even more than now, if they use the lighter prop. It's enough to matter.

PS This was with full fuel. Burning fuel makes the cg move aft. So again, be more careful with a lighter prop.

New Hartzell 2-bladed composite props:

"Hartzell propeller announced a new carbon composite series of it’s popular Blended Airfoil line of two-bladed propellers targeted towards Vans RV series aircraft. Already tested for stock 360 and 390 series engines, the props offer performance equal to the metal series with a 20lb weight savings, and will be available soon in either 72 or 74-inch diameters. An upgrade option for 540 series engines is expected to follow.

Hartzell also announced a $500 increase in their bundle rebate program when purchasing propellers and Lycoming engines together, bringing the total rebate to $1500. The offer will be available at least through the end of the year."

Last edited:
New props

I am really close to ordering a prop.
Does anyone have the links or info on the new two blade fornthe 360?

Raptor

I sent a message requesting info.
Probably not getting a response till next week at the earliest.
If they reply, I'll post it here.

In the Hartsell booth they had no information and referred me to Vans. He said it’s 20 lbs lighter with identical performance (other than weight) but more expensive. Benefit claimed is in durability and longevity. The new prop was mounted on the RV-14 demo plane in the Vans booth.

In the Hartsell booth they had no information and referred me to Vans. He said it’s 20 lbs lighter with identical performance (other than weight) but more expensive. Benefit claimed is in durability and longevity. The new prop was mounted on the RV-14 demo plane in the Vans booth.

Identical performance is a pretty tall claim compared to the aluminum blended airfoil. I would sure like to see one of our trusted builders do the test - Kevin H, Dan H, Paul D. Nigel S. In fact if Hartzell really wants to sell them, give one to each. Efficiency is the key drawback for the venerable Hartzell wide blade composite and while it has other limitations, but this one is harder to overcome.

I have a lighter -10 (1605 lbs BEW) and cg when I'm solo is near the forward limit. But if I load it to gross, with 90 lbs in the baggage area, my spreadsheet says: (1) an 18 lb lighter prop will move the cg back 1/2". (2) If I use that 18 lbs savings to put anther 18 lbs into the baggage area, cg goes back another 1/2". So yes, I'd say operators need to be mindful of cg even more than now, if they use the lighter prop. It's enough to matter.

PS This was with full fuel. Burning fuel makes the cg move aft. So again, be more careful with a lighter prop.

+1

I am also light (1640 w/ tools and fire ext) and worked hard to keep the CG fwd. I need 20 lb of ballast with just me and low fuel. I can load to gross pretty easily. If I started pulling weight off the nose, I don't believe I would be able to do that. I am not sure where the heavier planes have all of their extra weight and what their CG loos like. Point is to study the effects before considering a lighter prop.

I suspect that if you pulled 18# off the prop, it may balance out if you can swap lead acid for lithium in the back.

Larry

Identical performance is a pretty tall claim compared to the aluminum blended airfoil. I would sure like to see one of our trusted builders do the test - Kevin H, Dan H, Paul D. Nigel S. In fact if Hartzell really wants to sell them, give one to each. Efficiency is the key drawback for the venerable Hartzell wide blade composite and while it has other limitations, but this one is harder to overcome.

How much does a propeller like that cost? It would be interesting to compare it to a similar propeller 71-72" of ours on the same motor, on the same airplane and at the same time.
New Black Wing Propeller. Designed for engines up to O-320. With SAE-2 hub, the diameter is 71". Hopefully RV owners will have a chance to objectively compare the "Black Wing" to the new Hartzell propeller.

Attachments

• 122501300_3661438613901921_55782362702898207_n.jpg
    122501300_3661438613901921_55782362702898207_n.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Black Wing.jpg
    Black Wing.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
New Prop Details

See attached for some initial details and flight test data for the new two blade propeller. Details haven't made it into Manual 193 yet, but will when I have time for a revision.

Van's is in the process of testing the prop and doesn't have official findings yet.

Our performance flight testing was on an RV-8, I swapped the lead acid battery (in the stock aft location) for a lithium to compensate on the weight and balance. The weight reduction may or may not be beneficial depending your particulars.

Some of you here unknowingly contributed to the design by posting your real world flight conditions which I used during the design process, so thanks.

Attachments

• 75CS08_Raptor_InitialDetails_071823.pdf
    267.9 KB · Views: 126
I like the weight, performance, look and company. Will I like the price enough to choose it over a WW 300?

See attached for some initial details and flight test data for the new two blade propeller. Details haven't made it into Manual 193 yet, but will when I have time for a revision.

Van's is in the process of testing the prop and doesn't have official findings yet.

Our performance flight testing was on an RV-8, I swapped the lead acid battery (in the stock aft location) for a lithium to compensate on the weight and balance. The weight reduction may or may not be beneficial depending your particulars.

Some of you here unknowingly contributed to the design by posting your real world flight conditions which I used during the design process, so thanks.
Thanks for the post!! My 7605 blades have been said to be 3 kts slower and it appears this might be low! I have been disappointed with my speed. Very attractive alternative at the same weight.

Is the hub (though bolt spacing) different ?? That would seem the only reason for hole slotting in the back plate.

Spinner mounting spacing

Yes, the outermost hub through bolts, that the spinner bulkhead/backplate mount to, are in a different location. This new propeller starts with the same hub forging as the Compact series that most are familiar with, but with different internals and machining in order to incorporate some of the weight saving attributes of the Raptor system. This necessitated moving those bolts outward and changing the mounting surface height, both slightly, thus the slots and additional spinner mounting stack washer.

This change in system also means that, while they are outwardly similar, upgrading to the new design is not simply a matter of swapping the new blades into an existing Compact series propeller.

Info

I have similar thoughts/questions.

Edit...08/01/2023
I got a call back.
Kristen, 937-778-4335
She is working on pricing and part numbers for Vans. After Vans gets the information, they will have to incorporate it into their Store so builders can place orders. I have no idea how long that takes.
She said they have a 3-4 month production delay for CF composite props due to demand.
No drawings or manual other than the spec sheet posted previously.
No pricing. That will be provided by Vans.
No spinner hardware. You have to use the Vans hardware provided in your kit or modify your existing to fit the new prop.
I recommend calling Kris and asking her to add your info to the contact list she is sending to Vans.
A call to Vans might be a good idea as well.

Last edited:
Back