What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

instrument panel layout/waterjet cut/paint/label

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I've got my panel completely finished, and now I realize I want it done slightly differently, just enough that will require a new panel. Good thing they are only USD 25. Rather than re-cut all those holes and stuff, I'd like to try to get it done by some pros.

I've seen on epanelbuilder they work with someone to do the cutting, but there has been some negative feedback on the time it takes to get done. Also, I have not seen any mention of painting/labeling (silkscreen?).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to get a panel cut, painted, and labeled?

Mickey,

I used Fabian at Affordable Panels . He can cut regular panels, too. Great guy and does a great job. I know he does turn-key panels and such has them finished with paint or powder coat and then labeled.

He cut mine and had the powder coating done locally. Still not sure how to label it myself, though.

- Scott

rv8ch said:
I've got my panel completely finished, and now I realize I want it done slightly differently, just enough that will require a new panel. Good thing they are only USD 25. Rather than re-cut all those holes and stuff, I'd like to try to get it done by some pros.

I've seen on epanelbuilder they work with someone to do the cutting, but there has been some negative feedback on the time it takes to get done. Also, I have not seen any mention of painting/labeling (silkscreen?).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to get a panel cut, painted, and labeled?

Mickey,

Call a friend of mine--Fabian Lefler 561 678 7677. He makes nice panels.

Peter Laurence

Hi Mickey,

What we plan to do is this: we make a design in a cad program (Solid Works, but anything will do), the output is a .dwg or .dxf file. This you can take to a local metal workshop and have it lasercut (or CAD-punched). Then we'll have it powdercoated. Parallel we'll design the labeling in Adobe Illustrator (CorelDraw will do too), the output is a .EPS file. Now find a local company which does silkscreening and have them screen the powdercoated panel in the colour(s) you like. We arranged this for a fellow RV builder as a try-out for our own panel and the results were very professional. The good thing doing it this way is that you have total control by doing it locally and the reliability that what you see is what you get. You can make 1:1 prints during the design process as test mockups too. Here you see our current design, still without the labeling: http://websites.expercraft.com/PHVII/index.php?q=log_entry&log_id=8284
If we can help you, call or mail, at least we are on the same continent...

Does the slider have more room behind the panel than the tip up. I understand you had to cut access holes for radios to pass through on the 7 tip up. Will I be in the same boat with my 9A slider? I don't have my fuselage kit here yet and was just wondering.
Thanks

panel

Thanks for the hints, folks. I've sent an E-mail to affordable panels - I hope they get back to me soon. Rene, thanks for the ideas on DIY, but I really just want to find someone who has done a lot of this kind of work, and not have to train a local person. I've been through that with several parts of my project, and it's usually a lot more time and expense - at least for me.

About long avionics - this was kind of a surprise to me to find out that a lot of stuff just won't fit behind the panel. I have to wonder why so many companies make their stuff so long. Two things I have which are long are the SL-40 and the Narco AT155. The narco is almost empty, but it's 11.5" long! Did there used to be a rule that radios and transponders had to be longer than the largest pilot's foot? :)

They probably just keeping using the same case eventhough vacuum tubes are a thing of the past.

Also check out Experimental Air. Ross has done a great job of putting my panel into a CAD layout. I haven't had the cutting done yet, but I expect it will be a huge time saver.

Dave

Panel cutting

Try AllThingsAircraft.com. They did a great job on my RV 4 & 7. Cheap and very fast turn around time.

I was recommended MB Company in Houston Texas and am so glad I used them. They built, cut, powder coated and engraved the panel. Mike is an instrument panel artist. He made the instrument panels for the NASA T-38 aircraft so you know his work is excellent.

76-TheNewInstrumentPanel_zps4a8a81ff.jpg

He has so much experience with instrument panels he provides great recommendations on how to set the panel up. Three thumbs up for him!

:cool:

Up North Aviation

You might try Up North Aviation for panel cutting. They did a great job on my RV-4. I had the panel powder coated locally and a graphics shop made transparent decals for panel labeling.

Jim
N444JT

How about a wrap?

I'm sure I've seen some out there - how about a few posts of some finished panels that had a vinyl wrap instead of paint?
I thought a carbon fiber style vinyl wrap would look great on a panel
Craig

I ordered a fake carbon fiber vinyl that I am going to use. My plan is to do the final layout in ACAD - including the labels, and run the vinyl through my plotter. I think it will work ok. I run some pretty thick photo paper and canvas through it. All the holes will be cut after installing it on the panel. Probably clear coat over it to give it a nice finish.

I'm sure I've seen some out there - how about a few posts of some finished panels that had a vinyl wrap instead of paint?
I thought a carbon fiber style vinyl wrap would look great on a panel
Craig

I plasma cut my panel and covered with graphite vinyl wrap. Plasma is not typically used due to localized heat but it was free so that's the way I went. The vinyl was kind of expensive. I used a cad program to nest all the cut outs cause the RV6 panel is small to begin with and edge distance between instruments was kept to a min to fit everything in. I can send pic if you pm your email address.

Back