What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Vans 7/8/9 Stall Warner on an RV6A; Also, Dynon Heated Pitot with AOA Sensor

jherzog

I'm New Here
Hello all,

I recently purchased a built and flying RV6A, and would like to add some stall warning capabilities. I see that Vans sells the stall warner that was included in the wing kits of the 7/8/9 from 2010 onward. Any reason why an RV6 wing cannot accommodate this stall warner? If so, any thoughts on how hard or easy it would be to retrofit in a fully built 6A?

My plane also has a Dynon EFS-100 and an unheated pitot tube. Dynon offers a heated pitot that includes an angle of attack sensor that can be wired for display on the Dynon EFIS. Has anyone installed a Dynon heated pitot on a built and flying RV? If so, I'd love to learn how easy or hard it is to retrofit.

Thank you in advance,

Jordan

I upgraded my last RV-7 to the Dynon AoA/Pitot. All I had to do was run an additional 1/4" poly-line to feed the AoA port on the Dynon EFIS (D10A).

AoA -=> Very accurate indication of reserve lift, simple retrofit.
Stall Warning Vane -=> Not accurate, Not reliable, hazard when walking near leading edge of wing, need to cut holes in wing, etc. etc.

If you're just installing a new pitot tube in the same mast it's not going to be that hard and won't involve cutting into your wing if you're concerned about that. Check the dynon instructions to be sure of the sizes, but it would likely just require you to source power from a 10 amp breaker/fuse/whatever and run a switched14 gauge (probably) wire out there to heat it and pull a second 1/4" line from the pitot back in to the panel, thats about it.

Personally, I'd rather have the AOA readout than that stall vane, so I skipped it on my RV7 build.

I had purchased the stall vane, but the more I looked at the parts and thought about it, the less I liked it. I decided to sell the kit and planned my build with an AOA probe. I have been planning on using Dynon all along, so I've already plumbed the wings with the air lines.

Hello all,

I recently purchased a built and flying RV6A, and would like to add some stall warning capabilities. I see that Vans sells the stall warner that was included in the wing kits of the 7/8/9 from 2010 onward. Any reason why an RV6 wing cannot accommodate this stall warner? If so, any thoughts on how hard or easy it would be to retrofit in a fully built 6A?

My plane also has a Dynon EFS-100 and an unheated pitot tube. Dynon offers a heated pitot that includes an angle of attack sensor that can be wired for display on the Dynon EFIS. Has anyone installed a Dynon heated pitot on a built and flying RV? If so, I'd love to learn how easy or hard it is to retrofit.

Thank you in advance,

Jordan
I recall that a stall vane was required on the 6 to meet certification standards in the UK. So nothing new here!
I installed one in my plane, and retrofitted one into another 6.
Hardest task is to get a wire run from the location out on the wing up into the fuselage.

Back