What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I found my oil leak, but now need help.

kswanson

Long story short my new to me -6 with 0-320-d1a started developing a fairly significant oil leak over the 40-30 hrs. It’s coming from the lower portion of the backside accessory case. Not sure what it is exactly but it seems to be a block off plate with too many washers stacked on top. I snugged the nuts up (as two of the nuts were barely finger tight) and the leaking stop almost completely for the last 10 hrs, but there is still a slight seepage so I do need to replace the gasket and torque it all back down properly. Anybody know the exact torque values of these nuts and where I might find a gasket without ordering a full engine rebuilt kit? I’ve googled but it wasn’t much help.

Attachments

• 7C713567-3A8F-45C2-A74D-63236C7D0C6A.jpeg
    7C713567-3A8F-45C2-A74D-63236C7D0C6A.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 450
Factory

That is the rear governor pad and all those washers are factory. i noticed the governor oil line going to the front.

Is this is for a fixed pitch installation?

If so the governor plate on the back, the one that is leaking, needs to have a slot in it to vent this line.

I am just guessing here, but maybe your plate does not have the slot and is being pressurized, causing the plate to leak. This may also be pushing on your front seal, so needs to be checked out.

If the plate has the slot, then probably just a re-torque and new gasket.

Attachments

• 0FA5D7C7-9A9C-4D20-8908-E02DE0D49725.jpeg
    0FA5D7C7-9A9C-4D20-8908-E02DE0D49725.jpeg
    686.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Thanks John, prop governor, that’s right I remember now. I knew the washers were a factory deal I just couldn’t remember off the top of my head this morning what exactly I was thinking of. This plane is set up FP, and that return line runs all the way back up to the front of the motor and into the top of the case. I figured it was venting back into the case to alleviate pressure. I am going to replace the gasket next oil change anyway. Any idea on torque values?

....... Anybody know the exact torque values of these nuts and where I might find a gasket without ordering a full engine rebuilt kit? I’ve googled but it wasn’t much help.

You ought to go on Lycoming's website and download all the pertinent documentation for your engine. In there you'll find part numbers and fastener torque. Also, it would be great if you'd take the time to study the SB's and SI's and SL's related to your engine. Within those is the info to make sure the governor blockoff plate has the required drain slot if using the pressure tube, or the modification of the internal crank plug if not using the tube, etc.

Factory leak . . .

Looks like you have enough repair information, at least your gasket was installed. I installed a IO360 M1B new from Lycoming and chased a leak into phase I- - finally took off the vacuum drive cover plate and it had no gasket! Zero -none - -missing - no gasket. Surprisingly it was not gushing and just weeped when running.

It was painted just like your stack of washers. Use a thin film of permatex #3 as a gasket sealer. FYI Most factories don't use sealer in production just a little oil to make sure the gasket settles.

Funny

Funny you mention case leak. I am not the originator of this thread, but I did fill my engine with 12 quarts of oil for storage. it was into this prop line. when I pulled the line for baffle work, it all came out. At least i know my accessories, including this plate, are sealed because not a drop of oil leaked until I was stupid.

I would have a A&P take a look and have him order the gasket and do the install. You don't want a problem at 8000 feet! Just my 2 cents.

Same issue, resolved.

I had a leak start form that cover plate on my trip home from Oshkosh this year. The nuts were tight on the studs. Removed the cover and found that it was warped. Got a new plate from spruce for about $70 and a new gasket and no more leak. The engine had about 900 hrs since new from Lycoming.
Cover Plate part number is 72053 and gasket is 72378.

Back