What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I forgot to prime the inside of my pushrods...

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Do I need to prime the inside and outside of the pushrods that connects:
1) the aileron bell crank to the ( I think) control stick inside the fuselage and
2) the pushrod that connects the aileron bell crank to the aileron itself? I am thinking this small pushrod that connects the aileron bell crank to the aileron was powder coated, am I wrong about that?

So, in order to prime the inside of the pushrods, can I just unscrew the rod ends and pour the primer down into the pushrod, swirl, and dump out the excess?

I vaguely recall Van's instructions saying to remove the rod end and not to install it until the primer was dry - they had had some cases of primer migrating into the rod end bearings and fouling them.

... they had had some cases of primer migrating into the rod end bearings and fouling them.
I found a case of this happening on my RV-6 when I bought it. Some epoxy primer inside the elevator pushrod tube had found its way into the rod end bearing and glued it more solidly than JB Weld. It was only a paper thin layer of epoxy primer but 3 days of soaking in lacquer thinner would not budge it. The bearing was rotating around the bolt instead so I replaced both the bearing and the bolt and all is good now.

I just got home and went out to the garage and looked at my pushrods. I can unscrew the rod end bearing from the big pushrod that runs into to cockpit and prime the inside (and outside will get done too) of that pushrod,

but.......

The small powder coated pushrod (from the bellcrank to the aileron) has the threaded male insert riveted in place, therefore I can not access the inside of these (without drilling out the rivets). Is the inside of this small pushrod also powder coated, or does it need to be primed?

It is not powder coated. It is bare steel thats been made gnarly from the powder coat process. It really needs something. I'd drill a #30 hole and pump in the preservative.

I would probably just dip the ends in some epoxy primer to seal the tube, without oxygen and moisture it can't rust.

thanks for the guidance. Seeing as how my wings are just sitting in the cradle, things will be very easy to access.

I agree with unscrewing the rod ends to access the interior of the pushrods. I would recommend using ACF-50 or Boeshield preservative for the job. Spray a little in and close them up, job done. Dan

Back