What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Long Does it Take for Your EFIS to Boot Up

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I have a GRT Horizon 10.1. It takes about 40 seconds to boot to the accept screen. You have to press the acknowledge button before display presents.

How long does your full EFIS (flight, nav, engine display) G3X, Dynon, Avidyne, MGL, etc. take to Boot. Doe it require you acknowledge the data base.

Yep, my Horizon 10.1 takes about that long too. That’s normal. The acknowledge button gives you a chance to check that update screen to make sure you have current data. You can do this while you’re moving if you are in a hurry. I just wait and do necessary taxi checklist stuff so I don’t have to do it while I’m moving.

I have an MGL 8.5” iEFIS lite. It’s initial boot is 1 second. The basic flight instruments display almost instantly after that. It takes less than 5 seconds until it’s fully operational and handshaking with the rest of the avionics.

Dynon is about the same time, but it does not require any acknowledgement of a database or anything like that.

I boot the EFIS and CO detector as soon as I get into the aircraft. This gives me a moment to get strapped in, check flight controls, raise flaps, move canopy to middle position, get ipad connected, get phone connected, o2 concentrator on (if needed).

No idea if it's still needed, but I believe some EFIS prefer to boot while the aircraft is stationary. Mine is on a TCW battery, so no brownout when starting, and i have my EIS4000 connected to the TCW as well, so I see and capture all engine sensor values before/during/after starting.

I'm never going anywhere in a hurry so I can't recall ever even noticing the boot time on the EFIS. It reboots after a DB update and it feels like it takes just a couple of seconds.

Thanks guys. I'd like to have the ability to set it to auto accept database, not have to do an extra step. It's no big deal. Since it is booted at that point.

An avionics bus, with TCW or it's own battery for EFIS/EIS is a good idea.

MGL boots quick. I wonder how. Almost everything I have with a screen, TV, phone, my car, takes time to boot.

Any Garmin G3X drivers... what is your boot time.

The very first page of the GRT Hx user manual (I suspect the 10.1 is the same) says it’s recommended to not move for 10 seconds - after that it will continue to boot for another 30 or so seconds as you taxi, if that’s your choice.

My Horizon 10.1 is powered by the main bus, and the aux bus. After I push the airplane out of the hangar, I turn on the Aux bus and then go close the hangar door. By the time I get back to the airplane, the boot is complete. After strapping in I select ‘accept’ on the data page and my PFD start page is there, ready to go. My EIS is also powered off the Aux bus, which boots almost instantly

Going from memory, I wanna say my non-touch G3X takes about 15 seconds to boot with 2 presses of the "Enter" button required-- first one accepts the database info (ie cycle, dates, etc) and the second press accepts a datalink weather advisory.

Last edited:
Going from memory, I wanna say my non-touch G3X takes about 15 seconds to boot with 2 presses of the "Enter" button required-- first one accepts the database info (ie cycle, dates, etc) and the second press accepts a datalink weather advisory.

And if using WPT screen for approach plate and in the middle of the approach it decides to switch from white background to black background it also takes 15 sec. Ironflight says this is much faster with newer hardware -

And if using WPT screen for approach plate and in the middle of the approach it decides to switch from white background to black background it also takes 15 sec. Ironflight says this is much faster with newer hardware -

I generally use my iPad to display my plates. I find it easier to read and manipulate vs trying to pan/zoom on the G3X MFD (again this is on a non-touch G3X).

Three GRT screens are installed in our Sportsman - Mini-X, HX and Sport EX. The Mini-X boots the fastest, followed by the Sport EX, and the HX takes considerably longer.

As others have posted, having an Essential Bus or similar electrical architecture helps. In our case there is an Essential Bus which has its own backup battery that is constantly charged through a power Schottky diode and fed by a circuit breaker on the main bus.

Hop in the airplane, flip on the Essential Bus switch and the Mini-X, HX, EIS-66R and GNS480 power up. Go through all the usual "settling in" routine and then hit "accept" on the Mini-X and HX and go through the multiple acceptance button pushes on the GNS480. Power up the Master and the Sport EX comes alive - it is configured to boot showing the engine monitor page. When it's alive do the "accept" button, then add fuel if one has refueled the aircraft. Crank the engine and you're off, with nary a flicker of the screens.

Advanced 5600

Advanced 5600 takes about 30-40 seconds (my best estimate without going out and timing it).
With older SW it made you acknowledge but it doesn't any more, thankfully.

I'm no computer pro, but I imagine the difference between boot times is little more than rapidly changing technology.

My trusty GRT Sport takes a while for sure, but it's an old big case unit, vintage 2008. Works great, reliable as gravity.

Dual screen G3X touch - 27 seconds. MFD boots a little quicker than PFD and this included me pushing the “continue” button. Probably another 30 seconds for AHRS to fully align.

Three GRT screens are installed in our Sportsman - Mini-X, HX and Sport EX. The Mini-X boots the fastest, followed by the Sport EX, and the HX takes considerably longer.

As others have posted, having an Essential Bus or similar electrical architecture helps. In our case there is an Essential Bus which has its own backup battery that is constantly charged through a power Schottky diode and fed by a circuit breaker on the main bus.

Hop in the airplane, flip on the Essential Bus switch and the Mini-X, HX, EIS-66R and GNS480 power up. Go through all the usual "settling in" routine and then hit "accept" on the Mini-X and HX and go through the multiple acceptance button pushes on the GNS480. Power up the Master and the Sport EX comes alive - it is configured to boot showing the engine monitor page. When it's alive do the "accept" button, then add fuel if one has refueled the aircraft. Crank the engine and you're off, with nary a flicker of the screens.

I have a similar setup to above (10.1+MINIs+EX) with similar results.

Depending on what Operating System is underlying "computer systems", the "boot time" can vary a lot. Some need to boot NOW and some do a lot of integrity stuff beforehand. A good set of variation (from DECADES AGO) would be OS/360, VMS, UNIX, Windows Embedded. [Only OS "O.G.s will relate :) ]

I too, just turn the system on when I get in the plane and everything is ready LONG BEFORE I get all strapped in!

Finally, the GRT stuff has a "quick boot" or "boot on the fly" (pun intended) option. Holding the two outermost buttons. It skips some of the stuff that is done on initial boot.

Never really timed my G3X Touch bootups, but 30-40 seconds sounds about right. My right screen always boots first with my PFD a second or two later.

Finally, the GRT stuff has a "quick boot" or "boot on the fly" (pun intended) option. Holding the two outermost buttons. It skips some of the stuff that is done on initial boot.
Very good tip - thanks James!

Thve very first page of the GRT Hx user manual (I suspect the 10.1 is the same) says it’s recommended to not move for 10 seconds - after that it will continue to boot for another 30 or so seconds as you taxi, if that’s your choice.
I hear the theme music and the star wand sweeping the rainbow out with the catch phrase "the more you know". Ha ha. Good info. Thank you.

The salient Par in the 10.1 Horizon User Manual:
After power-up the AHRS will enter alignment and will provide attitude data once this process is complete. With minimal movement of the airplane attitude data is usually available by the time the EFIS completes booting. Continuous movement can extend the alignment time.

What I noticed is I had lots of questions when I got the unit and poured over the manual to no avail. I found or was tipped off the Hx manual had more detail and much of it applies. True. The Hx has detailed wiring diagram example but none in Horz 10.1 documents. They are close enough that the Hx is helpful. I don't think it is a burden to wait 40 seconds and push a button. EFIS and EIS should be on for start.

In fact as soon as you get butt in seat, turn on the avionics and by the time you are strapped in, have your headset on, way more than 40 seconds has elapsed. I am use to airplanes that are HOT not cold, the DC and AC buses are running before I even get on plane.

The manual for 10.1 Horz has an error:

5.2.4.6 Rebooting the Screen
In the unlikely event a of a serious software fault, the EFIS will automatically restart itself.
This process is very fast (a few seconds) and will return the EFIS to the page it was
previously on. It is unlikely you would ever encounter this.

In the even less likely event that the automatic recovery failed to detect the serious
software fault, causing the screen to stop responding, the EFIS can be rebooted using the
front panel softkeys. To force a re-boot, press and hold the outer left and outer right white
softkeys at the same time to reboot the display unit. Since this action does not affect the
AHRS, it will continue to provide attitude data without interruption, thus attitude data will
be available when the EFIS finishes re-booting. This re-booting process will take about 30
seconds

Then it shows the Hz display with a single row of 5 buttons along bottom. The 10.1 Horz
has 9 buttons on bottom and 6 on right side, plus the two knobs which also have push to
select function. I am guessing the fast boot function or quicker re-boot is the still bottom
row from L to R button 1 and 9....

Last edited:
I hear the theme music and the star wand sweeping the rainbow out with the catch phrase "the more you know". Ha ha. Good info. Thank you.

The salient Par in the 10.1 Horizon User Manual:
After power-up the AHRS will enter alignment and will provide attitude data once this process is complete. With minimal movement of the airplane attitude data is usually available by the time the EFIS completes booting. Continuous movement can extend the alignment time.

What I noticed is I had lots of questions when I got the unit and poured over the manual to no avail. I found or was tipped off the Hx manual had more detail and much of it applies. True. The Hx has detailed wiring diagram example but none in Horz 10.1 documents. They are close enough that the Hx is helpful. I don't think it is a burden to wait 40 seconds and push a button. EFIS and EIS should be on for start.

In fact as soon as you get butt in seat, turn on the avionics and by the time you are strapped in, have your headset on, way more than 40 seconds has elapsed. I am use to airplanes that are HOT not cold, the DC and AC buses are running before I even get on plane.

The manual for 10.1 Horz has an error:

5.2.4.6 Rebooting the Screen
In the unlikely event a of a serious software fault, the EFIS will automatically restart itself.
This process is very fast (a few seconds) and will return the EFIS to the page it was
previously on. It is unlikely you would ever encounter this.

In the even less likely event that the automatic recovery failed to detect the serious
software fault, causing the screen to stop responding, the EFIS can be rebooted using the
front panel softkeys. To force a re-boot, press and hold the outer left and outer right white
softkeys at the same time to reboot the display unit. Since this action does not affect the
AHRS, it will continue to provide attitude data without interruption, thus attitude data will
be available when the EFIS finishes re-booting. This re-booting process will take about 30
seconds

Then it shows the Hz display with a single row of 5 buttons along bottom. The 10.1 Horz
has 9 buttons on bottom and 6 on right side, plus the two knobs which also have push to
select function. I am guessing the fast boot function or quicker re-boot is the still bottom
row from L to R button 1 and 9....

Bottom (Horizontal) Row. Left-most and right-most buttons on this row.
Should work for ll models with different numbers of buttons.

Bottom (Horizontal) Row. Left-most and right-most buttons on this row.
Should work for ll models with different numbers of buttons.
Thanks for confirming 👍. That is what I thought. My comment or complaint was the Horizon 10.1 manual should show the 10.1 not the Hx.

My Dynon D180 EFIS/EMS takes about 4 seconds to fully boot and there is no ack response required (no maps in this system). The newer Dynon Skyview Classic takes much longer to boot up, at least 30 seconds. It's odd that the new technology is slower (and more expensive) than the old technology. They don't make the D180 anymore, unfortunately. It actually does everything you need for day VFR.

Timed my bootup yesterday on a g3x setup. Mfd took 19 seconds to get to the confirmation screen. The PFD took 24 seconds to load up with all red X's, another 5 to fill in all the data, and another 10-15 to load the artificial horizon/synthetic vision and background info. So 45 seconds for a full boot, and throw in another 15-30 for adhrs align.

Back