What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gurgling noise from Andair fuel pump

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I recently removed my fuel filter to clean and reinstalled it and since I hear a gurgling noise when I turn it on and it does take about 5 second or so before the pressure starts to build at which time the noise goes back to normal. I have checked for both leak of fuel and leaking of air and there was no leaks of either type. This pump is revision #7.

Any thoughts?

I recently removed my fuel filter to clean and reinstalled it and since I hear a gurgling noise when I turn it on and it does take about 5 second or so before the pressure starts to build at which time the noise goes back to normal. I have checked for both leak of fuel and leaking of air and there was no leaks of either type. This pump is revision #7.

Any thoughts?

Is your filter the one inline in the tunnel? Any chance you did a 180 and the outlet was made the inlet?

I'm also curious if you found anything in your filter mine's always super clean. I converted to the wing root filters a while back to make that filter service a lot easier.

Is your filter the one inline in the tunnel? Any chance you did a 180 and the outlet was made the inlet?

I'm also curious if you found anything in your filter mine's always super clean. I converted to the wing root filters a while back to make that filter service a lot easier.
No chance of doing a 180 as one side is a flare fitting and the other side is NPT. Mine was also very clean, hardly anything on it.

I don't have a better idea. Something that gurgles and takes a few seconds to pressurize sure sounds like an air problem. Do you select your tanks off when parked, or do you keep a tank selected? Has the problem persisted after a runup? Maybe running the engine would let that air get pushed thru?

I don't have a better idea. Something that gurgles and takes a few seconds to pressurize sure sounds like an air problem. Do you select your tanks off when parked, or do you keep a tank selected? Has the problem persisted after a runup? Maybe running the engine would let that air get pushed thru?
I don't turn my fuel selector to OFF unless I am working on the pump. Air sound logical with the exception I did not find any thru the vacuum, I would have expected to see it under vacuum if there was any leak. It behaves the same in flight, when I turn it on it will take a few second to start increasing the pressure.

Hard to say exactly where the problem is based on this limited information, but this is not normal.

Back