What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNC 430 memory battery

n816kc

Well Known Member
Gulf Coast Avionics advises Garmin will no longer supply the memory battery to them for replacement in the field. Only option offered is the factory flat rate repair to the tune of $2,000 - for a $25 battery. Unbelievable. Anyone know an avionics shop in central FL 5hat can source and replace the battery?

Gary's got the right idea above. That battery is easy to replace. The first one I did took 1+ hours due to lack of familiarity. The last one we did was down to about 15 minutes.

I know a guy who had 2 x 430s in his panel and decided to replace his own batteries. He knew a bit about electronics and figured how hard could it be? Well, quite hard was the answer. Neither worked after his efforts and both had different faults. Both had to be returned to Garmin to make the aircraft flyable once again. The flat repair charge will fix any fault they still have spares for, it is expensive to replace the battery but ... I would suggest you get someone who *really* knows what to do rather than hoping it will turn out OK.

I know a guy who had 2 x 430s in his panel and decided to replace his own batteries. He knew a bit about electronics and figured how hard could it be? Well, quite hard was the answer. Neither worked after his efforts and both had different faults. Both had to be returned to Garmin to make the aircraft flyable once again. The flat repair charge will fix any fault they still have spares for, it is expensive to replace the battery but ... I would suggest you get someone who *really* knows what to do rather than hoping it will turn out OK.

In my experience replacing a few of them, the fault codes come from inadequate solder connecting the battery's 3 pins to the board. If a fault code is present after battery replacement, disassemble and re-solder the battery pins. A couple different codes may appear depending on pin inadequately soldered.

Or, run wires out the back so you can use an *external* memory battery. Then you don't have to find the exact right battery (only the right voltage), and subsequent replacements are easy. Also much easier to solder a wire into that board versus the board mounted battery.

Memory Battery Replacement

Gulf Coast Avionics advises Garmin will no longer supply the memory battery to them for replacement in the field. Only option offered is the factory flat rate repair to the tune of $2,000 - for a $25 battery. Unbelievable. Anyone know an avionics shop in central FL 5hat can source and replace the battery?

Hi Kevin,

There must have been a miscommunication on the part of the dealer representative you spoke with. We still have these batteries available for purchase by our dealer network for the purposes of performing this replacement. Please feel free to call us at 1-866-854-8433 to discuss further if you would like, but it may also be worth a call back to your dealer to look into this again.

Thanks,

Justin

Yea.....

Try fit one of those batteries.

Our local avionics guy tried 3 times - needs something like 5 connections to be made.

Update

Good news: Gulf Coast Avionics is back in the memory battery replacement business. Thanks again everyone.

That is down right obscene. Makes me cringe every time I think about a decision that I made to purchase one of their products.

That is down right obscene. Makes me cringe every time I think about a decision that I made to purchase one of their products.

If you read the rest of the posts in this thread you'll see that this is incorrect.

The battery is a Sanyo CR14250SE-FT. It is a 3 volt 850mAH lithium computer battery. It has 1 negative pin and 2 positive pins.
$5.32 on digikey

Back