What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gluing Baffle Seal

David Paule

Well Known Member
The O-320 baffle instructions says to use Pliobond to glue the baffle seal strip to a backing piece. Here’s what I found out:

Using McFarlane’s Cowl-Saver baffle seal, on the slick black side, Pilobond didn’t work at all. It readily peeled off. I called their tech support and was told that nothing would stick to the black side’s Teflon surface. This is the side which needed to be glued, so I could not glue to the gray side.

Using Van’s baffle seal material, I tried Pliobond. It didn’t stick well at all.

I’d previously determined that red silicone baffle seal would not stick with Pliobond. For that, I'd successfully used Ultra Blue silicone.

I made a test piece of Van’s baffle seal material and some scrap aluminum and tried Ultra Blue. It did not stick, just as McFarlane's support had predicted..

With another test piece of Van’s seal, I opened some Pro-Seal that I had stored in my freezer since new and tried it, too, once it warmed up. This sample did stick, with poor -but some - peel strength.

And using a final test piece, I tried Pro-Seal and the black side of McFarlane’s Cowl-Saver, just on the off-chance that it might work. As McFarland’s support had predicted, it didn’t stick.

Having ran out of glue options, I'm using a rivet.

Dave

Low Surface energy materials YUCK

EDPM and fluoropolymers are hard to bond. This 3M document talks about some of them.

The gap seal material that Vans uses for the wing-to-fuse is EPDM and it cost quite a bit for primer and acrylic adhesive (super glue) for the lower HS intersection seal. Finally, I just made some root fairings from fiberglass just before paint.

VHB tape might work with primer, but rivets definitely work and are very cost effective.

The O-320 baffle instructions says to use Pliobond to glue the baffle seal strip to a backing piece. Here’s what I found out:

I didn't use any glue, and can't recall anywhere that it was recommended.

http://www.rv8.ch/silicone-rubber-baffle-seals/

Cools well.

IMG_6904.jpg

I wondered if anyone would question that. I missed it the first several times I went through the baffle kit instructions.

Have a look at page OP-44-14, step 5. This is revision 1.

Dave

I wondered if anyone would question that. I missed it the first several times I went through the baffle kit instructions.

Have a look at page OP-44-14, step 5. This is revision 1.

Dave

Got it - thanks for the clarification and the memory jog. I just used 3 small screws to attach that strip and the baffle material as shown here:

IMG_6919.jpg

Back