What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glaring Glare Shield

Bob Y

Well Known Member
Despite using a matte black hammered metal paint on my glare shield, I still get reflections off the top of the shield, to the canopy and in my eyes when the sun is in the right position. I’m ready to try applying some dark fabric to the top, but was wondering what others might have done that were more eloquent solutions?

Velcro

Despite using a matte black hammered metal paint on my glare shield, I still get reflections off the top of the shield, to the canopy and in my eyes when the sun is in the right position. I’m ready to try applying some dark fabric to the top, but was wondering what others might have done that were more eloquent solutions?

I bought some velcro loop fabric. It will be cut to fit then a pinch weld added to the edge. Beauty is anything I want can be stuck to it by using the hook stuff.

I installed the Aerosport Products glare shield cover. It is leather (probably fake leather). It looks very nice and comes with parts to cover the handle holes in the glareshield, as well as vent covers for the defrost system.

Glare shield

What Larry said +1 this eliminates glare and the usefulness of ink pen, mini flashlight staying right where you put it. Also I secured all of the mini GPS antennas at the front edge with it. Works great!

The loop velcro from Mc Master works great and creates no Flocking dust....;)

The material is sold in a 4" width that works great for a full cover. Then split a length of 3/4" heater hose (black) for the edge....it holds it's self in position. Wipe off the print with brakleen and then wipe with Formula 2000.
protect Del.JPG

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys. The Velcro loop strips sound like a great solution.

Go to Wally World or auto part store.
Buy a roll of dash mat

Works great and cheap

Boomer

I suspect it is the texture compounds adding some surface tension

I used a lot of epoxy primer in both grey and black. It nets a satin-eggshell finish depending on application thickness. So for non glare areas (anywhere near the canopy) and areas where I just wanted things not to gloss I shot a topcoat layer of cheap old rust oleum: https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7...locphy=9030886&hvtargid=pla-316165369617&th=1 You do have to adjust spray distance so you are at the limit of adhesion and just starting to attach overspray to get that true flat finish.

Last edited:
I used some vinyl (fake leather/Naugahyde) I got from Joann fabrics. I used small pieces of thin carpet tape to hold it down in a few key spots. Trailing edge hel down with pinch well from Cleveland Air Tool. No glare, comes in lots of colors.

912440A5-6E84-494B-9503-B11D3CEDB006.jpg

Grazing Incidence

I messed with this a while. As the angle between the source of light and the surface get small even the blackest black reflect.
Pic is of AKZO primer,hook and loop and black auto vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 130
I love the way you installed your LRI. That would have never occurred to me. Nice panel. Sorry, off topic. Back to the OP question.

I used some vinyl (fake leather/Naugahyde) I got from Joann fabrics. I used small pieces of thin carpet tape to hold it down in a few key spots. Trailing edge hel down with pinch well from Cleveland Air Tool. No glare, comes in lots of colors.

View attachment 47369

I don't know what kind you have but all the hammered metal paint I've ever used has reflective qualities.
My glareshield is simple flat black (rattle can), works great.

Good old cow. Black tanned hide reflects nothing and you don’t get any off gassing on the inside of the windscreen like faux leathers, vinyls, or plastics.

The guy who finished my upholstry used a piece of leather and when installing it I noticed he'd placed it onto a stiff backing board, like a cardboard, with a very thin layer of foam. Its worked out great - no reflection, soft, hard wearing and looks neat.

Today is Fathers Day here and my daughter gave me two solar-powerd dancing girls but she attached photos of herself and her brother to the dolls. Hilarious. I couldn't help put them on the instrument combing for a photo shoot. Just need some fluffy dice.

:D

Sadly they can't stay there of course.

Attachments

• 20230903_144312_resized.jpg
    20230903_144312_resized.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20230903_144303_resized.jpg
    20230903_144303_resized.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
+1

Good old cow. Black tanned hide reflects nothing and you don’t get any off gassing on the inside of the windscreen like faux leathers, vinyls, or plastics.

A good hidden point here for the desirable qualities after the non-glare function has been met. After some testing, I used the perfect non-glare spray on black with little specks (SEM black texture coating). It has the reflectivity of 180 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. Unfortunately, if touched it and it sands off the skin cells and leaves a streak. This quality also collects dust and specks of bugs etc that can not be wiped off. A soft tooth brush is rather effective, but no liquids and absolutely no microfiber. Makes it hard to clean the wedge of the canopy too.

If I do this again, it will be leather or faux that has very low reflectivity but is more easy cleaned, looks great and is very effective on glare elimination.

Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. The loop fabric seems to be working really well so far. Appreciate the feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 94
Velcro Loop Fabric Glareshield Cover

I made a Loop Fabric Glareshield Cover.

If you want to make one, here is the link to buy the fabric.
Loop Fabric
I suggest buying 72" so you get more than enough to span the glareshield.

Process is pretty simple
Buy a pack of single sided laminating sheets at Wally
Snag the kids deck of playing cards. Make sure you buy a new deck! We had index cards.
-Lay a laminating sheet sticky side up on the glareshield leaving an inch of space fore and aft.
-Place playing cards into the windshield/glareshield seam then press them down. Use the short side so they confirm to the curve.
-Repeat till the entire glareshield is covered with a some overlap on the aft edge. Slip the next sheet under the current one and press it down. Keep placing cards.
-Draw a line using a marker along the aft edge from underneath
-Make some alignment lines so the two halves can go back together on the bench
-Remove and you have a template.
-The vent holes were easy. Cut the area an inch bigger then the vent. Place the template on the glareshield. Use a ruler to extend the edge lines onto the template. Remove the template. Tape new cards in place. Extend the lines back over the new cards. Cut out the area. If it's a circle, you're on your own. I got nothing for that one.
-Cut whatever fabric you like.
20231014_154543.jpg

Back