What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch SW v9.50 Available Now (8/5/2024)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon,

G3X Touch software version 9.50 was posted to the Software Download Area today. Among several background improvements there are a few new features included, as detailed below. This update primarily supports the GTR 205x and GTR 205xR COM radio's, although a few other background system improvements were included in the update. Please contact your Garmin dealer or Garmin product support at [email protected] for the GTR 205x or GTR 205xR installation manual, if you are planning the installation for this equipment.

Several system LRU's will be updated with this software load, the software download page includes a detailed LRU software change list. Cross-referencing the System Information page in configuration mode, please ensure each LRU is successfully updated to the appropriate software level upon completion of the software load.
  • Added support for GTR 205x and GTR 205 xR COM Radios over CAN
  • Improved Rotax 916iS support
  • Improved EIS and engine page layout
  • Improved 500 foot audio alert
  • Improved Traffic inset window
  • Improved GI 260 annunciation
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GEA24(B) software version 4.10
  • Includes update to GI260 software version 3.00
  • Includes update to GTR20/200 software version 3.60
  • Includes GMA245 software version 3.20
  • Includes G5 software version 8.51
  • Includes GSU25/B/C/D software version 4.50
  • Includes GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
  • Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
  • Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GEA24B boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GHA 15 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GHA 15 software version 2.00
  • Includes G5 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD 27 -1X boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GAD27 software version 2.80
  • Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
  • Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
  • Includes GAD29C boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GAD29C software version 2.10
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.80
  • Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.04 (Base Year 2020)
  • Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
  • Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
  • Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
  • Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
  • Includes GMC507 software version 5.00
  • Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
  • Includes GMU11 software version 2.20
  • Includes GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
  • Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
  • Includes GSA28 software version 5.70
  • Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20 or 2.10 (-2X Model)
  • Includes GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40
  • Includes GDL5x software version 2.23
  • Includes Timezone database version 37.00
Please let us know what questions you may have!

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Loaded 9.50. Normally I wait a week or 2 until see what other say but threw caution to the wind today. I normally update right to left and the MFD downloaded no issues. Went to the PFD (now with the avionics on (GTN, A/P, etc.)) and was going well until COM2 (GTR20) failed to load. System tried 3 or 4 times to load and continued to stop after about 50% loaded. Turned the system off including avionics and tried again this time with no avionics on. Still no joy. Went back to everything on and after 5 or 6 more times finally loaded. I'm not sure if not having all the avionics on when I updated the MFD was an issue but that's the way I've been doing it for the last 4 years. Will fly it tomorrow and hopefully no issues. Maybe G3X Expert can comment should everything be on when these updates are made.? Still amazed at the system. Being able to assign tick marks and lines and to use the position sensors in the alarm logic a nice +. Being able to assign under the VPX tab amps and voltage I am not sure helps as the same can be done in the discrete input page with more options to choose from.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 134721.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 134721.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 55
Being able to assign under the VPX tab amps and voltage I am not sure helps as the same can be done in the discrete input page with more options to choose from.
What's the relationship between Vertical Power voltage/current measurements and GEA 24 discrete inputs?

Good Afternoon,

G3X Touch software version 9.50 was posted to the Software Download Area today. Among several background improvements there are a few new features included, as detailed below. This update primarily supports the GTR 205x and GTR 205xR COM radio's, although a few other background system improvements were included in the update. Please contact your Garmin dealer or Garmin product support at [email protected] for the GTR 205x or GTR 205xR installation manual, if you are planning the installation for this equipment.

Several system LRU's will be updated with this software load, the software download page includes a detailed LRU software change list. Cross-referencing the System Information page in configuration mode, please ensure each LRU is successfully updated to the appropriate software level upon completion of the software load.
  • Added support for GTR 205x and GTR 205 xR COM Radios over CAN
  • Improved Rotax 916iS support

Justin, I am considering an aircraft with a Rotax 916iS engine. Rev 9.41 added additional support for the 916iS that was well documented in the G3X May 2024 update to the installation manual. Can you provide additional detail about those 916iS changes in Rev 9.50? There continues to be confusion whether the G3X with Rev 9.41/9.50 will fully support engine monitoring and FADEC annunication in the same manner as the old Flight Systems RS 9xiS display that has been used in the past with these turbocharged engines. Thanks for your help.

What's the relationship between Vertical Power voltage/current measurements and GEA 24 discrete inputs?
You can set Volts 1 and 2 along with Amps 1 and 2 either under the Vertical Power tab or the GEA 24 tab. If you do set it in the Vertical Power tab it overwrites the GEA 24 Volts 1 and 2 and Amps 1 and 2. Keeping them together under the same tab seems a better option and gives you more flexibility naming the device displayed on the G3X screens. (Using the GEA 24 tab) My Volts 1 data does come from the VPX, but I can still use the GEA tab to assign this input. Why have 2 input screens to assign the same data point? The flap, elevator and aileron sensor are nice adds and keep one from needing to use a laptop to interface with the VPX. Also gives you more options for colored tick and line markings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 142345.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 142345.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 42
I think you are mixing up what the "GEA 24 Inputs" and "Vertical Power" tabs do; at any rate, none of these are discrete inputs.

Loaded 9.50. Normally I wait a week or 2 until see what other say but threw caution to the wind today. I normally update right to left and the MFD downloaded no issues. Went to the PFD (now with the avionics on (GTN, A/P, etc.)) and was going well until COM2 (GTR20) failed to load. System tried 3 or 4 times to load and continued to stop after about 50% loaded. Turned the system off including avionics and tried again this time with no avionics on. Still no joy. Went back to everything on and after 5 or 6 more times finally loaded. I'm not sure if not having all the avionics on when I updated the MFD was an issue but that's the way I've been doing it for the last 4 years. Will fly it tomorrow and hopefully no issues. Maybe G3X Expert can comment should everything be on when these updates are made.? Still amazed at the system. Being able to assign tick marks and lines and to use the position sensors in the alarm logic a nice +. Being able to assign under the VPX tab amps and voltage I am not sure helps as the same can be done in the discrete input page with more options to choose from.
I had a similar issue with this update with the GTR 200 in my system. Would continuously update, get to 100% then “Fail” (I forget exact verbiage).

I had a similar issue with this update with the GTR 200 in my system. Would continuously update, get to 100% then “Fail” (I forget exact verbiage).
I also had this issue when doing the update. System got stuck in a loop trying to update GTR200, fails, repeats. Powered off/on panel and process starts up again. I eventually backed up to v9.41 to get operable again. I reported issue to G3Xpert.

Same here! Usually I wait a month but this coincides with a data update so I too took one for the Team . . . .

Same issue COM2 GTR20 and AUDIO PANEL GMA245R failed to update. So on the phone with Garmin. Randy. We got COM2 to update by pulling breakers on everything but PFD and COM2. After more finagaling we may have gotten the GMA245A to update but now there is an alert: LEFT/RIGHT PILOT HEADSET GROUNDED. Same for COPILOT. Both headsets test properly though. Garmin is calling me back tomorrow. There was no hardware issue all green checks before this update!

I think you are mixing up what the "GEA 24 Inputs" and "Vertical Power" tabs do; at any rate, none of these are discrete inputs.
Agreed not discrete inputs, but inputs, my error. Attached are the tabs for the GEA 24 showing options for the Vertical Power page, first pc. Shows Volts 1 & 2 along with Amps 1 and 2. Second pic shows the GEA 24 inputs also Volts 1 and 2. When you add Volts 1 to the Vertical Power Page (pic 3) you only get 2 choices for the naming configuration and neither can be edited. When you do this, it overwrites the Volts 1 on the GEA 24 input page (4th pic) and now there is nothing there. There is not an option for a custom gauge name under the Vertical Power tab, but you can have a custom name if you use the GEA 24 INPUT tab. Volt 1 can have the exact same reference value (both come from the Vertical Power box and represent the same main bus voltage) but you are restricted in naming convention if you use the VP tab. My point is why use the input that is more restrictive when you have the exact same ability using the Volt 1 that has been there for years under the GEA 24 input tab measuring the exact same thing?

If they are doing something different (other than being more restrictive in naming convention) would like to understand.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 193151.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 193151.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 192555.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 192555.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 192212.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 192212.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 192320.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 192320.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33
Has anyone had success in making a new config file after 9.50 was loaded? After my rocky update I decided probably a good idea and after 15 mins less than half the file was copied so I stopped the copy. It used to take a few seconds as there really is not that much raw data to transfer.

After a few days able to make config files in under 5 secs., maybe operator error.

Last edited:
I’m not flying yet so went ahead and updated. No issues gtr 20 took the update without issues.

Looks like v3.60 is supposed to be loading, mine is trying to load 3.50?? What did yours load?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 134721.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 134721.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 39
Looks like v3.60 is supposed to be loading, mine is trying to load 3.50?? What did yours load?
Mine tried to load 3.50, but did not complete the download. Com 1 (GTR 200) shows 3.50. Now Com 2 (GTR20) is inop.

I did the update this afternoon and it all went smoothly including the GTR20. My method is this: I pull all the breakers and load the mfd first. Then turn on the pfd and load it. When it does its reboot, I hold the menu button to load the PFD in configuration mode. Push the top left System information icon. Then push in one lru breaker at a time and open the information screen of that lru on the system information page. You can watch the software install and load until you get the green check mark. Go through the breakers one at a time until completion.

Email reply from g3xpert:

Good morning Randall,

I apologize for the software not updating properly. It will work if you power off the other equipment that is on the CAN Bus first, and then let the G3X and Com Radio ONLY run the update.

Thank you

Randall
Experimental Aviation Product Support
[email protected] or 866-854-8433
For 24-hour access to support articles and videos, visit the Aviation Support Center.
Mon - Fri 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT. Closed US. Holidays.

I reloaded 9.50 using this method and the update worked properly, loading ver. 3.60 for the GTR200 and GTR20. All other GRUs loaded normally.

Is Randall and Randy the same person? If so, my thanks to you Randy! If not Randall would you thank Randy for me!

While frustrated at first Randy got me through the update. For the items that fail to update just power up the PFD and only that item. Breakers off for every else. Worked for two of us so far.

Another issue, Garmin now looks for shorts in headset circuits. I got a new alert for the AUDIO GMA345R. Garmin expected it was a bad ground. I'm thinking no way. Josh at Steinair added it may just be a mismatch in the configuration. Sure enough. My Lightspeed Zulu 3s came default set MONO and I never knew or thought about changing them to STEREO. Two dip switch clicks later one for the Pilot and one for the Copilot and the alert cleared. I can't wait to see if I notice the difference when playing music on the long cross countries!

Attachments

• 20240809_103919[1].jpg
    20240809_103919[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Mine won’t work. Turned everything off. It’s basically bricked my GTR…this update should have been pulled from the website garmin! Now I have no radio until the next update!!

Don't be a guinea pig. I also learned the hard way about updates. Always have the previous version on a separate dedicated SD card. If the new version has a glitch, you just reload the old version. This way you don't have to wait for someone from Garmin to send it to you.

Successfully updated today with the breaker push-in method. Started with just GDU and GTR on. GTR updated. Pushed LRU breakers in one at a time as described by others. Went fine till GI260AOA seemed stuck in a loop. But pulled GTR power breaker, AoA then took the update .

I finally got it to work with the breaker method...which is unacceptable...if Garmin knows this update is an issue, pull the damn update! How many of our fellow pilots are NOT on VAF, and won't know to turn off each LRU to get the GTR to update...

I finally got it to work with the breaker method...which is unacceptable...if Garmin knows this update is an issue, pull the damn update! How many of our fellow pilots are NOT on VAF, and won't know to turn off each LRU to get the GTR to update...
Or at least at a minimum put a note on the software download site about it. There is no indication of this work-around and only the standard vanilla upgrade instructions are in place that don't even mention watching the LRU updates from configuration mode.

Especially since "most" of the updates you didn't need to do it that way.

Garmin is a wonderful company with first class support. I think I will give them a few days to sort this out. I am in no hurry for the update; my current software version got me to Osh and back without missing a beat. OTTO FLIES BETTER THAN I do.

I didn't have any problems updating my G3X with a GTR 200B.. I always have the last update saved to my computer and I always make sure the SD card is reformatted just before installing the update...never an issue.

PS. I also don't pull any breakers.

I just updated two RV-8's with G3X Touch. The second one uses VPX. So it's not like you can step through the breakers in configuration mode. You have to pick and choose, and unless you to do a restart after every LRU update and then turn on the digital breaker (one more restart) it is a real PITA. I am kinda going "Walt" on all this stuff. Give me good old fashioned circuit breakers. Sigh. And this is but one of a few disappointments with VPX we have had over the years.

OK, this is my story. I updated two systems I did the panel upgrade. Both panel upgrades are basically the same.

I followed the instructions where you do the MFD first, then the PFD. After the PFD rebooted, I started with one breaker at a time. When I got to the GTR20, the first one upgraded the first time, but the second one, it didn’t take the upgrade, but it then automatically tried another try, and it took it fine the second time.

All it good without any other problems.

Hopefully Garmin will fix this problem soon, so I can upgrade my current install.

I, too, had the GTR-20 fail to update.
Thanks to those that posted their experience with the CB work around! It worked fine with that method.

I found that just turning off the GSU 25 unit(s) until the GTR 20/200/200B units have finished loading is all you need to do.

Steve

Last edited:
you can find at this page: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-01057-00&tab=software

at section "Install to G3X Touch Process"
Thanks, and a good link to have. Unfortunately, the original download link https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01057-00 didn't have this to reference and we struggle to update (again). If Garmin wants to learn from the EXP community, please give us all the help, tools they can or else we should wait 2 or 3 months to update (I know several users who will not update in less than 3 months after an update) or risk a bad or at least an inefficient update. By requesting to "pull the breakers" they are disenfranchising VPX (which could be their intent) users.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-13 201916.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-08-13 201916.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 16
We have spent a couple of days working to recreate and characterize the issues some have seen while updating their GTR radios. We made a change to the way we package and deliver LRU software that will improve the process for those who have yet to fully process their update. We apologize for any frustration we caused those who struggled with the update, thank you for your patience with us while we sorted it out. We will update the software download center in the coming days with the updated software loader card.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
I have 1 PFD G3X (V9.50), GSU25, 2x G5, GEA24B, GMC507, 2x GSA28, GAD29, GMU11, GAD13

when I simulate issue with G3X, I power off G3X+GSU25,
on two G5, on autopilot status bar, two G5 stay on PFT white,
on GMC 507 all key are disabled

Thanks, and a good link to have. Unfortunately, the original download link https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-01057-00 didn't have this to reference and we struggle to update (again). If Garmin wants to learn from the EXP community, please give us all the help, tools they can or else we should wait 2 or 3 months to update (I know several users who will not update in less than 3 months after an update) or risk a bad or at least an inefficient update. By requesting to "pull the breakers" they are disenfranchising VPX (which could be their intent) users.
THIS/\. Exactly. The official instructions on the download page do not show the "tips" page with insightful suggestion. They just say stick the card in and power on the system. Period. Here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=7129#Instruct

Same issue here. GTR20 failed. Unfortunately, I couldn't kill everything needed with the circuit breakers and had to crawl under the panel to disconnect the other devices before it would update properly. Once I had it down to the PFD and GTR it worked fine. Glad I was able to find the fix here. I would never have narrowed it down like that especially given the extra hoops I had to jump through.

Thanks all.

JQ

Last edited:
I had a similar issue where some LRU's would fail to install, but I just let the system reattempt and eventually everything updated. I have a GPS20A. It took forever to update. It had 3 different firmware sections to update. Every time one completed it would restart, show a network error and come back online. The key for me was to let it do its thing. I didn't power down, reboot or do anything else. Everything eventually updated on its own.

Agreed not discrete inputs, but inputs, my error. Attached are the tabs for the GEA 24 showing options for the Vertical Power page, first pc. Shows Volts 1 & 2 along with Amps 1 and 2. Second pic shows the GEA 24 inputs also Volts 1 and 2. When you add Volts 1 to the Vertical Power Page (pic 3) you only get 2 choices for the naming configuration and neither can be edited. When you do this, it overwrites the Volts 1 on the GEA 24 input page (4th pic) and now there is nothing there. There is not an option for a custom gauge name under the Vertical Power tab, but you can have a custom name if you use the GEA 24 INPUT tab. Volt 1 can have the exact same reference value (both come from the Vertical Power box and represent the same main bus voltage) but you are restricted in naming convention if you use the VP tab. My point is why use the input that is more restrictive when you have the exact same ability using the Volt 1 that has been there for years under the GEA 24 input tab measuring the exact same thing?

If they are doing something different (other than being more restrictive in naming convention) would like to understand.
Hey dmattmul. Does it matter if the input is wired to the GEA vs the VPX? Thanks Marc

What Jim said worked for me exactly the same,,,, "just let the system reattempt and eventually everything updated"

Good Morning,

G3X Touch v9.51 is now available here. This update includes an improvement to the LRU software loading process that will resolve the slow/failed LRU code loads a few people were experiencing.

Thanks,
Justin

I went ahead and loaded 9.51, no issues and it did not need to reboot itself to finish. 9.50 was loaded before and that might have helped as the troublesome GTR 20 already had 3.60 installed. What I was able to verify as long as you don't install an update in the config mode AND your VPX is in communication with the MFD (vs the PFD) you can turn off each circuit in the VPX to help with the install as needed but with 9.51 I did not need to do this either. Since the GTR20 has a relatively high circuit current needed (In my case 7 amps) most likely it has its own dedicated circuit.

Back