What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Q lifetime - new definition of lifetime subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be visiting Garmin and Foreflight today to decide which one to get. I’ll tell everyone I to steer clear of FlyQ. Done with them. Visited their booth at Oshkosh also.

Just talked to Shawn there new president. He stated that we did not have a contract so this is just a business decision. He said he was sorry and I replied I did not think he really was and he just shrugged.
Interesting theory. I’d be inclined to get a second opinion from a different law firm. But I’m no lawyer. However, I’d be curious to hear Dynon’s take on this, and their relationship with Seattle Avionics. If SA steps on themselves badly enough, it could impact Dynon’s use of their product. At least Dynon has a second provider in Airmate, though I hear it’s not as complete as SA’s offering. Maybe this will give a leg-up to Airmate’s development footprint.

For those individuals who are currently at OSH, ask the folks at Seattle Avionics booth if they will give a full refund for a lifetime subscription, to those individuals who already have it. We could just "opt out". That would be another option, that is not mentioned in their email.

Steve

I purchased the lifetime SA charts for my Dynon panel. Don’t use their iPad app. Hope they don’t try to pull the rug on that one too.

I've been using SA for Skyview chart data too but I'm on a yearly subscription. After reading what they're doing to FlyQ Lifetime customers I'm planning to drop my subscription with them when it expires in October and switch to charts from Airmate.Aero (which is also significantly cheaper that SA), so this decision cost them my business.

i reported via Apple Apps- I used the “report a scam” link as that’s exactly what this has become

I think that you might find that since you didn't purchase the lifetime subscription though Apple, they're not too interested in supporting your complaint

I just stopped by their booth in Oshkosh and voiced my disapproval to Shawn Mechelke.

He said that most of their subscribers are lifetime subscribers who don’t generate monthly income for them. They are losing 3 million dollars/year.

Hence, they’re looking for any way to generate more monthly income so they don’t fall by the wayside.

Based on our feedback, they are going to extend the 1 year subscription to the 6.9.1 but haven’t announced it yet. Shawn stated that at some point they would stop updating 6.9.1. I tried to explain to him the foolishness of this…coming out with a different version for the lifers to use rather than focus his effort on one version.

They have already factored in the face they’ll lose 1/2 of us. I told him that reneging on our lifetime subscription would not only alienate us, but we in the aviation community are their best marketers. I asked him, “Do you honestly think we are going to give them a good review after they reneged on their business deal?”

I made it clear that to me and many others, integrity matters. Bottom line, he doesn’t care. Shawn shrugged his shoulders and made it very clear that integrity and honesty are NOT part of his business plan. I’d suggest that everyone bombard them with emails. If they refuse to answer, then bombard their FB posts with your opinions.

I made it clear that to me and many others, integrity matters. Bottom line, he doesn’t care. Shawn shrugged his shoulders and made it very clear that integrity and honesty are NOT part of his business plan. I’d suggest that everyone bombard them with emails. If they refuse to answer, then bombard their FB posts with your opinions.
What you need to do, is find out if his state (WA) has ‘truth in advertising’ laws. Most states do. Complain to the state attorney general, see what happens. Of course, guys like this will try to dump all their stock first, then head to bankruptcy court. It’s the way these guys operate these days.

With a CEO with an attitude like what is described above I think the company will be heading to bankruptcy sooner rather than later. I would imagine most of their users are general aviation people like us and not big flying companies. This is a small community and word gets around fast. You can’t treat people like crap and expect to stay in business when you have a pretty limited customer base. If I worked for them I would be looking for a new job.

It would have served them best to make their current version more user friendly and not try to be “cutting edge”. Most of us don’t need a lot of fancy add ons in the app.

Just got an email from Seattle Avionics that my lifetime membership will expire soon (one year) unless I choose one of their options and start paying for the subscription.

It is unfortunate that they will no longer honor their commitment.

Below is a partial email I revived with my options:

1. All Lifetime customers can use the new FlyQ+ EFB 7.0 and later releases for 30 days.
  2. During that period, Lifetime customers can upgrade to an annual subscription with a one-time 25% discount to continue to enjoy FlyQ+ EFB 7.0 and all other future releases.
  3. In 30 days, Lifetime customers who do not move to a new annual subscription can download a forthcoming new FlyQ EFB Legacy 6.9.1 and use it for a year, after which it will be sunset. As the version number implies, FlyQ EFB Legacy is the same as FlyQ EFB 6.9.1 released in May 2024 and does not include the features or fixes in FlyQ+ EFB 7.0.
I guess there's no honor and commitment in business in the Aviation world. I am a Fly Q user but I have an annual subscription. I think a move like that is Unwise [ed. removed one sentence that violated the posting rules (IMHO) v/r,dr].

Last edited by a moderator:
This will likely be a disaster for Seattle Avionics. Note this email I received from AOPA this morning.

TRADE IN YOUR CURRENT EFB & SAVE​

1. Purchase an iFlightPlanner Membership: Save 20% as an AOPA Member.
  2. Submit Proof of Your Current EFB Subscription and Expiration: Email a screenshot to [email protected].
  3. Receive the Remaining Time on Your Current Subscription: We'll add up to 1 full year to your new iFlightPlanner membership.
NOTE: Pilots with expiring FlyQ Lifetime subscriptions will receive 1 full year added to their new iFlightPlanner membership.

AOPA MEMBERS SAVE AN ADDITIONAL 20%​

As a special offer, AOPA members can save an additional 20% on iFlightPlanner Core (reg. $49.99/year) and iFlightPlanner Premium (reg. $99.99/year) memberships with special pricing.

Last edited:
Here’s what’s going to happen. Some lawyer will hear about this. He will contact a few hundred users, offer his services ‘for free’ (contingency). He’ll file a lawsuit that Seattle has no hope of winning. They will either pay the lawyer and backtrack, or file for bankruptcy. What a world we live in. I have always held most corporate executives in low esteem, this just reinforces that opinion.
There is not enough money in this to interest a lawyer on a contingency basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back